• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird Pecking Order

xlr8

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
Hello All.

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a Superbird. I've done the research and I know they're crazy money but it's an itch I just have to scratch. I don't want the car to be a garage queen. I want to actually use it. I wouldn't use it to get groceries or run it through the local car wash but I don't want to be afraid of taking the car to a cruise night and be embarrassed. I guess to boil it down, I'm looking for a nice driver.

All of this got me to thinking. A Superbird is not just a Superbird. There are engine options, transmission options, carburetor options, shifters on the column, the floor, consoles, non consoles, colors... where does it end?

Dammit xlr8, get to the point. Ok, so on to my question. Is there a pecking order for Superbirds? I imagine the top dog would be a Hemi 4 speed car. What would the "entry level" SB be? I'm thinking a column shift, bench seat 440-4 auto. What would be the next step up? And the next? And the next? I'd like to see a list from entry level (if there is such a thing) up to the top dog. Is there such a list? If there isn't, can we make one? What would it look like?

Thanks in advance for any help, opinions or advice!!

Last edited:
On the base car, the column shift auto might have been an upgrade over the manual transmission, I don't know for sure. To me it's the unique shape of the car that I like, so other than that they're all great in my eyes. If it was me, looking for a nice reliable driver, I'd be happy with the 440.

As long as the Bird has no lips. You will find the right one. :)

My Superbird isn’t a trailer or a garage queen. It has a 440 4 barrel with bucket seats and automatic on the floor. Repainted back in 1986 and the paint is still in excellent shape. Good luck on your journey to purchasing one. Make sure you do your research before purchasing one. My friends laughed at me for paying 17,000 dollars for it

I think it is much more than options. Numbers matching drivetrain, build sheet, original fender tag, original metal, restored vs unrestored. Options are important, especially unique options like power windows, rear window defroster, buddy seat, etc.

Nothing wrong with going for groceries... hell the Wife and I take two cars for that !
beebirdcruisesept62020 063.JPG
beebirdmidlandlcbo2.jpg

Wow. A Bird with groceries!! That's AWESOME!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I WILL get one. I'm looking at two. One is a 440-6 with a 4 speed. The other is a 440-4 with a console automatic. Both have similar history with matching numbers, etc. Both are the same color and are local to me (which is odd at best). I think for leisurely driving, I'm leaning towards the automatic which is a bit more money.

I have several other old cars - not all MoPar. Two cars stand out in my mind. My Newport conv. (see avatar) and my 62 Chevrolet SS 409 conv. The 409 is wicked cool. It's a dual quad 4 speed, has a fantastic history and is generally badass. Let's face it The Beach Boys don't write songs about Subarus. To be honest, the 409 is not enjoyable to drive like a responsible adult. It's happiest when both quads are open and the car is being driven hard. On the other hand, the Newport is a 383 automatic and is happy at 35 mph on a back country road or 70 mph on an interstate. I know I should hold the SS 409 in a higher regard than the more mundane Newport but the Newport is just relaxing to drive.

That's why I am asking about a "pecking order". The 440-6 with the 4 speed would be very cool (and higher up on that list), but I feel as though the automatic car would be more enjoyable to just cruise around in....

Real SBs or tribute SBs?

That's why I am asking about a "pecking order". The 440-6 with the 4 speed would be very cool (and higher up on that list), but I feel as though the automatic car would be more enjoyable to just cruise around in....
I prefer driving my 4 gear Bee, over the automatic in the Bird. But I've been banging gears in the Bee for over 43 years and what I love to do. Why the Wife drives the Bird on the two car grocery runs. That or her Swinger..

The +6 and the 4 Speed are both steps up from an automatic, 4 bbl car. Also I believe the column shift auto is another half step down. So the 440, 4 bbl column auto is the lowest on the pole. I always end up selling my cars one day so I think of resale value when I buy them, however I only do buy what I like.

Any Superbird is special. I have what you want to call the bottom of the pecking order in a 440, automatic, bench seat car. On the other hand it's completely matching numbers and all original metal with only a few patches. I'm the second owner and acquired all the original parts that were supposedly upgraded in the past. Sure it would be nice to have bucket seats, console and even a 4-speed, or a 6 pack and maybe even a Hemi, but it is what it is and still special. In my opinion there is no pecking order.

I don't think a tribute car is something I'd be interested in. As long as they aren't misrepresented, there's nothing wrong with them in my mind but If I'm going to spend the money, I might as well go with the real thing.

I agree they're all VERY special. I've always wanted one but never thought one would be in my future. To me, they're this mythical beast that regular guys can't have. At this point, I might be able to put one in my garage. I've been saving my pennies and returning soda bottles for a long time!!

The whole reason for asking about a pecking order is for informational purposes only. In the Shelby world, the 67 GT500 is the top dog. There are varying levels from a 69 GT 350/auto., up to the 67 GT500. Of course personal preferences are always a factor as are colors.

The pecking order is up to you. It’s what you like and what you want the car to do for you.

Some don’t like driving 4 speeds. Some don’t like certain seating or colors. The Carter AVS is so reliable, 3X Holley not so much.

Cheapest will be an SB with a non matching engine.

The +6 and the 4 Speed are both steps up from an automatic, 4 bbl car. Also I believe the column shift auto is another half step down. So the 440, 4 bbl column auto is the lowest on the pole.

Agreed,
And IMO a white bird is the bottom of the barrel. High impact colors rules. especially Limelight or orange. Petty blue is harder to find thus can bring top money depending on cond and options

In MY mind either petty blue or B5 blue , either with white interior, a slight nudge from me for the bench seat ( very slight ) . But a auto is mandatory
And I could be very happy with a 4 barrel car BUT a 6 barrel car would be cool.

A Hemi Bird is way WAY out of the common mans budget anymore

Value wise it's surely (descending order):
Hemi 4 spd
Hemi Auto Console
Hemi Auto Column
And the then 440 6 pack, 440 4 barrel, same order with 4 spd, autos etc
With buckets and flashy color more attractive in each engine/transmission option
BUT
They are ALL special and I'd kill for any of them.

Last edited:
I too may have what some might say is the "bottom of the barrel"..lol 440-4, buckets, auto on the column. But for me it was what I was getting for originality and history. I'm more a purist, so a bird with a hemi stuff where once a 440 resided has ZERO interest to me. I'm the second owner (bought 2 yrs ago), all original drive line with 46K miles and a binder of documents from fuel slips, oil changes, dealer invoice, window sticker and build sheet to name a few. Yeah I've since sent the carb, radiator and master cylinder out for rebuild (not cheap) but it's original born with. I also felt it was timing as well. Mine checked off all the boxes for me even as a 440-4 and in my mine if I didn't grab it that I'd be kicking my ARS looking back..lol
I guess in a nut shell you have to figure what you're willing to spend and what you want in return.

Wow. A Bird with groceries!! That's AWESOME!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I WILL get one. I'm looking at two. One is a 440-6 with a 4 speed. The other is a 440-4 with a console automatic. Both have similar history with matching numbers, etc. Both are the same color and are local to me (which is odd at best). I think for leisurely driving, I'm leaning towards the automatic which is a bit more money.

I have several other old cars - not all MoPar. Two cars stand out in my mind. My Newport conv. (see avatar) and my 62 Chevrolet SS 409 conv. The 409 is wicked cool. It's a dual quad 4 speed, has a fantastic history and is generally badass. Let's face it The Beach Boys don't write songs about Subarus. To be honest, the 409 is not enjoyable to drive like a responsible adult. It's happiest when both quads are open and the car is being driven hard. On the other hand, the Newport is a 383 automatic and is happy at 35 mph on a back country road or 70 mph on an interstate. I know I should hold the SS 409 in a higher regard than the more mundane Newport but the Newport is just relaxing to drive.

You would be crazy not to pick the 6bbl-4-speed car if it is the same price, color quality.

If you are just looking for a cruise night hero, the "simplicity" of the 440 4-bbl cant really be beat. They run like a top and require minimal tinkering. I'm not throwing shade on any of the other fabulous Mopar models out there, but Superbirds & Daytonas exist in their own bubble. It is the car itself that makes it so special. Unlike say, a 'Cuda, whose value and desirability is almost completely dependent on the powertrain. Buy what you want (and can afford). if you care about maximizing your investment potential, and are willing to spend time under the hood, then your $ will almost always be safer in a 6-bbl or Hemi model.

Auto Transport Service
Back