• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supporting Mods for Car Stereo

JR_Charger

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I understand there are some limitations to what the original electrical system can do. What needs to be upgraded to power a stereo system with amp and sub? I'm thinking about a Retrosound head unit and amp, and one or two of their subs. I'll also want air conditioning. This is in the base 72 Charger with 318 and not much else - no electric windows/door locks/rear defroster/ rear speakers.

I've always run amp power straight from the battery with #12 or #10 stranded wire.

I put the power wires in the opposite floor channel from the speaker wire.

I have a powermaster 90 amp alternator, it powers my vintage air, msd, and 500w 4 channel amp no sweat. I didn’t choose powermaster on purpose, it was just the one available at the time.

With a factory original charging system, there should be no loads added directly to the battery or anywhere on the battery side of the ammeter. All loads need to be on the alternator side of the ammeter as are all factory loads. The alternator is the power source while the engine is in operation, any loads at the battery will pull it’s current from the alternator through the bulkhead connectors and ammeter connections, will register as false battery charging and places the wiring and connections well outside of their design limits.

There are some legitimate reasons amplifier, and other aftermarket accessory manufactures want power connections only at the battery, for 99.9% of the cars on the road today it’s no issue but this will create problems for stock Chrysler ammeter-based charging system. May want to consider some charging system modifications if connecting to the battery. Lots of past threads on this subject here.

Last edited:
I have a powermaster 90 amp alternator, it powers my vintage air, msd, and 500w 4 channel amp no sweat. I didn’t choose powermaster on purpose, it was just the one available at the time.
Same here - 90-Amp Powermaster alternator, Vintage Air, 800W amp ...few other creature comforts. :thumbsup:

I've always run amp power straight from the battery with #12 or #10 stranded wire.
Same here, although I'm not familiar with wires measured in washing machines. :poke:

I put the power wires in the opposite floor channel from the speaker wire.
That is sensible practice. :thumbsup:

This is all new to me. I didn't know there were floor channels, as I have nothing in the back other than the tail lights. I've glanced over some illustrations in the FSM of wiring going over the doors, but not in a Charger.

This is all new to me. I didn't know there were floor channels, as I have nothing in the back other than the tail lights. I've glanced over some illustrations in the FSM of wiring going over the doors, but not in a Charger.

There is a "wire way" at a roughly 30 degree angle beneath the kick panels, doors, and rear interior panel. It is sheet metal, welded every few inches, and can be bent open to lay wiring in.

It is covered by the carpet.

Auto Transport Service
Back