• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure Grip advise

whosyurdaddy

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advise on what to look for when looking at a Sure Grip chunk . There is on for sale local for $575 and its a 489 case with 3.91 gears . This is not a top priority at the moment but its sounds like a decent price and I'm a sucker for a deal .

I would definitely try to locate a clutch type power-loc, than the cone type. 489 prob. is a cone type as they were 69 and up, 742 was 68 and down, but many have been changed around as they will both accommodate either. DR.DIFF has all the info. my opinion only and good luck.

The only way to test one that's together and out of the car is with these.....yes, they are home made and can be used on the completed chunk.

nice tools Cranky, I could have used them a time or two.

If you don't want to stay old school, Eaton Truetrac is another alternative.

I've looked at that unit before but have never had one in my hands but have watched this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc
I don't really care for the 'new school' Track Lok that's in my 2000 Durango. The clutch plates are very similar to the 'Eaton Posi' where they are outboard of the side gears. After a bout with severe chatter with less than 25k miles (I bought the car new) and after an oil change and the Sure Grip additive not working for very long, I ended up just sticking in a half bottle of STP. It hasn't chattered in the last 65k miles and still works like it's supposed to. I am kinda curious to see what it looks like inside after that long of time because it looked like **** after just 25k miles. It had a lot of gunk in the bottom of the housing. Btw, it was chattering badly again at 35k miles so did another oil change and added the STP. I'll take that old school stuff over the factory new school crap any day....

Auto Transport Service
Back