• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Survivor Tent

This is a survivor, in the family since new, 51,000 miles, belts, tires, and a tune up all that’s been done. The paint actually buffed out nicely. I wish I could make it to Carlisle, looks like a fun event.
:thumbsup:

1EAFA616-432B-4B4E-BDD0-88F940449B43.jpeg

I think the reasoning behind "Survivor" status is to create a rare and unusual classification....You are far more likely to see cars that are either rusted to the roof, restored to the nines or repainted 3 times than to find a car with original paint, drivetrain, interior and wheels. Seeing cars that somehow managed to remain relatively unmodified and only maintained for 50+ years is highly unusual.
A Mr Norm's car that looks like it did after Norm modified it should still qualify.
I heard that the "Survivor" classification started within the Corvette crowd and is a bit of a fluid definition, mostly up to interpretation by whomever hosts the venue where the show is held.

Yes.

These type of cars generally will not point well in a judge classed with restored vehicles. It's just another grouping or type of car. They don't normally come out to events, because they don't' fit a typical class structure. And there's not enough of them to make an E-body, 62-67 B-body, etc survivor class. They really don't have a home elsewhere.

Don't get all bent out of shape because your car doesn't qualify or is not as strong a survivor as others. And just because your car hasn't had a rotisserie restoration, doesn't qualify it as a survivor.

Part of the reasoning for displaying these high level survivors is to help people that are restoring cars. These survivors are one of the best forms of information for restorations. It's one of the ways to keep the hobby moving forward.

Last edited:
To some of us the hobby is drive and enjoy what you have no matter what it looks like and I see nothing wrong with it. Other will shun you like you were a lepper or carry some kind of contagious disease. We all can't be driving perfect cars. People just need to get over it for what it is. Yes I own Mopars getting together with likeminded people can be fun. I have even given up looking at the overdone show cars. Yes I had worked at Chrysler dealerships prepping new cars very darn few were anywhere close to perfection. Some you could say would not even fit into the so-called survivor class when pickup by the original owner with less than 10 miles on them.
How did this hobby get so screwed up?

Yes.

These type of cars generally will not point well in a judge classed with restored vehicles. It's just another grouping or type of car. They don't normally come out to events, because they don't' fit a typical class structure. And there's not enough of them to make an E-body, 62-67 B-body, etc survivor class. They really don't have a home elsewhere.

Don't get all bent out of shape because your car doesn't qualify or is not as strong a survivor as others. And just because your car hasn't had a rotisserie restoration, doesn't qualify it as a survivor.

Part of the reasoning for displaying these high level survivors is to help people that are restoring cars. These survivors are one of the best forms of information for restorations. It's one of the ways to keep the hobby moving forward.
Exactly, my car has everything original down to the hubcaps, trunk mat, interior, etc. Engine and trans are as they came from the factory, save new hoses and belts, new repro fan clutch and someone put a four barrel on it 40 years ago or so. Front end parts haven't been replaced either. I just thought others who are restoring one might like to be able to see the brackets on the engine, underhood details, etc. Now, since some moron had Earl Scheib spray it 30 or so years ago, it doesn't qualify. I'm ok with it, just don't agree. No way to prove every panel has original paint on any car, without grinding into it. But at least now I know not to waste my time. Still will think about taking it to the nationals in August, but RoadKill nights is the same weekend, and I'd really like to go there. Another bucket list item.
Thanks everyone for your input.

I know my idea of a survivor isn’t what is considered a survivor. The cars that were out there making the scene... street racing, cruising, just used as cars, that are still with us today. They’re the ones I consider survivors. Someone else put it more eloquently. The cars now called survivors are really just lucky.

I have struggled for over 20 years deciding whether to leave my '68 as is (original vinyl top, paint, drivetrain and interior) with a few scrapes and minor dents vs. repainting and doing minor bodywork. I wrote Mel years ago and he replied, as you would expect, "it's only original once!". We cruise in this car 250-500 miles a year and we have barely 70,000 miles on it. So far I have listened to his advice, even though I hate parking at shows next to so many beautiful (redone) cars.

Charger 2020.jpg

Agreed, but the thought of packing a pressurized hydrogen tank on-board anything in traffic scares hell
out of me....since it's basically a bomb and all....

I have struggled for over 20 years deciding whether to leave my '68 as is (original vinyl top, paint, drivetrain and interior) with a few scrapes and minor dents vs. repainting and doing minor bodywork. I wrote Mel years ago and he replied, as you would expect, "it's only original once!". We cruise in this car 250-500 miles a year and we have barely 70,000 miles on it. So far I have listened to his advice, even though I hate parking at shows next to so many beautiful (redone) cars.

View attachment 1309098
Mr Rick, follow Mel's advice. Your funds will be better spent elsewhere !

View attachment 1309098
I dont know. I think I would feel pretty good presenting this at any show. Nice Charger.

Never got the "survivor" re-classification of a car. To me, its been a tool for owners to re-adjust the price on a car to justify an end goal. Yes, there are some cars that have barely been touched/driven but that is few and far between from what I see out there today.

Never got the "survivor" re-classification of a car. To me, its been a tool for owners to re-adjust the price on a car to justify an end goal. Yes, there are some cars that have barely been touched/driven but that is few and far between from what I see out there today.
To me the “survivor” reclassification is to make the car stand out against perfect restoration cars, that have modern base/clear paint, that’s been made as smooth and perfect as glass. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

The survivor class is so we don’t have to be ashamed of our cars that aren’t flawless and perfect. But rather be proud they’ve stayed good enough, it would be a shame to redo everything with made in “China parts.”

They also serve as templates and guides for the resto guys. Don’t be ashamed of a few flaws, enjoy your survivors with great pride.

I'd rather have a perfect survivor than a perfect restoration any day and every day.
It's in the league of "priceless"

1970 Dodge Charger 500, 143,564 actual miles on original drivetrain, 52 years of bumps, scrapes, bruises, etc., no repaint, original interior. Added dual exhaust w/ OEM tips, upgraded to power front disc brakes, added 15 inch one piece alloy Magnums...(compare w/ the 14 inchers on my avatar). Is this a survivor?, I think so; I really don't care, as I have made changes to my car to bring ME pleasure! I once had some "know-it-all" who tried to tell me specifics on my car, which he'd NEVER seen, that were contradictory to his "knowledge"!
If I finally give in to the desire to repair/repaint, I'm just not going to let the "it's only original once" thing stop me! :)

Old Magnums.JPG

New Magnums.JPG

Front Seats - Driver.JPG

1970 Dodge Charger 500, 143,564 actual miles on original drivetrain, 52 years of bumps, scrapes, bruises, etc., no repaint, original interior. Added dual exhaust w/ OEM tips, upgraded to power front disc brakes, added 15 inch one piece alloy Magnums...(compare w/ the 14 inchers on my avatar). Is this a survivor?, I think so; I really don't care, as I have made changes to my car to bring ME pleasure! I once had some "know-it-all" who tried to tell me specifics on my car, which he'd NEVER seen, that were contradictory to his "knowledge"!
If I finally give in to the desire to repair/repaint, I'm just not going to let the "it's only original once" thing stop me! :)

View attachment 1309250

View attachment 1309251

View attachment 1309253
It’s beautiful. I love the blue interior with the white paint
:thumbsup:

The term 'Survivor' has been bandied about for so long, and is almost as over-used as 'Barn Find'
Guilty as charged. But it was in a barn........ and I found it. Soooo.......

I hope you collected all the patina and stored it in an airtight jar for later use. :lol:
It is stuck on the car wash sponge and in the grass. Lol. It had a cheapo respray at some point so it's not a 'survivor', even tho it is. Lol

I hope you collected all the patina and stored it in an airtight jar for later use. :lol:
Kiwi, You need to make it to Carlisle some year SOON ! We can All throw in for Transportation Cost, since I believe Our Tent will be covered in coming years !
We Will have a Great Time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been my concern all along with survivor cars. Where do you draw the line. I have been so hesitant about ruining the value of my car. To date only thing that I know that are not original is the rims, bushing for the front suspension, shocks and the fuel tank. I even keep all the old parts in case when i sell it they can have the original. The rims the original owner put on. Every time I mention painting car Im told keep it original. I figure when I sell it let the next guy deal with keeping it original or not.

They're only Original Once. That's what makes a Survivor. The painted valve cover takes some away, but I should bring it back to Carlisle, where I bought it from a Really Great Couple, and now Friends, before it gets the Transplant...

View attachment 1307093View attachment 1307094
Does that car still have the original dealer's label on the trunk lid?

Auto Transport Service
Back