• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension Build Sheet - Sharing for others to use...

Malicious

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

After getting a ridiculous postage price from PST ($180 for rear hangers, hanger reinforcement plates and ball joint removal tool!!!!) I thought I'd better tackle my suspension as smartly as possible. I've got a limited budget and I need to prioritize my spend on whats needed now (or has to be done now), mix and match performance with replacement and try to consolidate as much of my purchases with one vendor as possible to save cash on postage.

So, I've built a spread sheet that covers most of the vendors and the suspension products in a way that I can switch products on and off and work out what the build is going to cost and allow me to see what every one has and at what price, so I can consolidate my purchases.

**** - yes, time consuming to build - heck yes, but hopefully it will save me time (waiting on parts that I've forgotten etc) and money (through postage consolidation and $mart shopping).

Anyway, I thought I would share in hope that someone else might get some use out of it.

How to use it:

It's broken up into sections each with it's own total;
Hotchkis Kits at the top
Sway Bars
Front Suspension (incs pitman & idler arms)
Rear Suspension
Steering
Grand total

There are 10 columns, some you could possible ignore and some that aren't entirely filled out. They are:
On/ Off - This allows you to switch on or off the product, 0 - off. 1 - on. If it's on, it will add that product to the total for that area and the grand total. This is so you can mix-n-match products.

Product - Name, with basic info, kits have contents listed.

Part Number - Please note most don't have part numbers, it was a late addition. Not that important as the name description is enough to find the product.

Supplier

Priority
- this is just a reference at the moment, use it however you want. Might try to build a formula that gives separate totals later...

Cost
- As advertised in vendors currency - 98% USD

Conversion
- Here I have put in a currency conversion for people outside of USA. All USA suppliers currently have this listed as 0.9 ($1 AUD buying $0.90 USD). Enter your currency rate in here. If your in USA, change to 1. The only Australian supplier listed (Pentastar AU) is currently 1, just ignore them if your outside of Australia, too expensive to consider, plus killer postage.

Cost in AUD - This column is only filled if the product is turned on. This price is also converted via the exchange rate listed, so pleae make sure you make the exchange rate correct.

Notes / Offers - As it says, lists offers and notes such as style hung on the rear sway bars and discount exemptions

URL - Mostly blank, used occasionally for reference.

You can also filter/hide using the drop downs on the top of each column. These would be most useful on the 'On/off' & 'supplier' columns.

Some notes, NO SHIPPING is included, alot of USA suppliers ship to USA for free (lucky so-n-so's) so it might be worth investigating. This doesn't compare quality of products, warrenties OR quality of service etc. Use this as a start point and do your own investigating from there.

Also, this is based on searches for 68 Dodge Coronet - some products may vary...

If your a Vendor, this info is also gold, free market research. I'm happy to accept payment in the form of discounts! haha

Download from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/89vwyzy7bybkgdh/Coronet Sus Buildsheet.xlsx

Cheers!

Great job on the spreadsheet, I imagine the shipping to you is large part of the cost, and sometimes more than the part itself.
With all the Car nuts down there I'm surprised that you don't have a suppliers for all these old cars.

Happy shopping.

Indeed, great job Malicious!

Great job on the spreadsheet, I imagine the shipping to you is large part of the cost, and sometimes more than the part itself.
With all the Car nuts down there I'm surprised that you don't have a suppliers for all these old cars.

Happy shopping.

We have some suppliers here with the smaller more common parts, but they put a margin on parts too, so generally buying Stateside and shipping here is cheaper. Unless they have smart supplier arrangements, for example Cometic gaskets are available here for same price as supply from US plus shipping.

Yeah shipping is nearly 4-50% of the cost in the end. Some suppliers don't ship smartly either, massive boxes for smaller parts, which means we wear bigger postage costs.

Donno what the go is with local speed shops. There's really only two that deal with US Mopar and they really just focus on Australian Mopar (60's A bodies basically) the pony cars and MAYBE the 2nd gen charger. Also as 62Dart said, it looks like they buy at full price and put their mark up on that. Local prices usually run at least double USA prices, so it's usually cheaper to by from the states even with bad postage. An exception to that was; I got a brand new Specter fuel tank here for $300, which probably sounds way over priced, but the shipping on a fuel tank is massive. So I was stoked to grab that bargain!

Also dreading my options on a new steering box, I'd love to get a firmer one, but I'm going to just run what I've got for the moment.

Took me about 5 minutes to decide on swaybars, rear sus and steering using this spreadsheet. The front will take me a bit longer, a lot more options. Anyway hopefully someone else gets some benefits from it.

Yeah shipping is nearly 4-50% of the cost in the end. Some suppliers don't ship smartly either, massive boxes for smaller parts, which means we wear bigger postage costs.

Donno what the go is with local speed shops. There's really only two that deal with US Mopar and they really just focus on Australian Mopar (60's A bodies basically) the pony cars and MAYBE the 2nd gen charger. Also as 62Dart said, it looks like they buy at full price and put their mark up on that. Local prices usually run at least double USA prices, so it's usually cheaper to by from the states even with bad postage. An exception to that was; I got a brand new Specter fuel tank here for $300, which probably sounds way over priced, but the shipping on a fuel tank is massive. So I was stoked to grab that bargain!

Also dreading my options on a new steering box, I'd love to get a firmer one, but I'm going to just run what I've got for the moment.

Took me about 5 minutes to decide on swaybars, rear sus and steering using this spreadsheet. The front will take me a bit longer, a lot more options. Anyway hopefully someone else gets some benefits from it.

Hey mate, I feel your pain. I had a power steering box shipped to me last year by a great bloke in USA (Hi Bill, if you're reading this!!). Looked at all options and best value was by USPS - cost around $280 from memory.
Use the calc here - http://ircalc.usps.gov/
(Hint - Go the "Package" or "Large Package" option...)
I had 4 wheels and 4 tyres shipped a few years ago, and air freight cost was prohibitive. I had those sea freighted for $320 - took an age though...

Wow Frank you should try these guys next time....would have cost you $100 (small box).I've used them about 12 times this year ,they are very good,I guarantee them.I could send the parts on too you.
http://usatoaus.com/login.aspx

Malicious too...if you get free shipping in the US, your parts can be sent to them in Vancouver WA

The depot in melbourne is under the westgate bridge.
I've got another package shipping on the next container :)

Wow Frank you should try these guys next time....would have cost you $100 (small box).I've used them about 12 times this year ,they are very good,I guarantee them.I could send the parts on too you.
http://usatoaus.com/login.aspx

Malicious too...if you get free shipping in the US, your parts can be sent to them in Vancouver WA

The depot in melbourne is under the westgate bridge.
I've got another package shipping on the next container :)

I used them to import my car, remember I vouched for them to you before you used them. Phil and Indy are excellent. Problem is they don't ship directly into Adelaide, and Melb-Adel freight adds to the equation...

Oh yes i now remember you did :headbang:

melb /adelaide freight really cheap with http://www.e-go.com.au/quick_quote.do

my depot (dandenong south) is 5 mins away.How far is yours(check)?Depot2depot 30%off!

sorry for the thread stealing

No stress on the hijack, its pretty much a fundamental of what I started this sheet. That and I wanted to get the best set up for the $$.

I actually was considering buying a car from these guys before I brought my Coronet. How long does it take to get the parts in usually?

To be honest, Summit is pretty good. Which is why most of my parts will end up coming from there. I got quoted $540 to post a set of leaf springs,torsion bars, front and rear sway bars, as well as a heap of smaller pieces, rod ends, ball joints, shackles, spring hangers etc. Thought that was pretty reasonable considering the size and weight of it all.

The steering box however is just not on the cards atm. Not worth sending a core over, so full price plus core charge $500 odd, then shipping of probably $200. $700 for a steering box is just getting a bit rude. Looking at running what I have until I win lotto.

The site is a bit confusing in that the cars aren't for sale(although they can search for a car 4 you).It is so the buyers of picture cars can see the costs they will be billed for.
I brought in a complete engine ($450),front bench seat ($200),gearbox 727PB $250,bonnet ,springs,diff ($400).
All my parts are for 62's so not always new.I have a mate in cali that also packages up a big box full of parts ($3k worth) and it cost me$250 to ship via this process!!
I enter my paypal reciept for under the $1k when filling out my order.... that's all! 4 weeks later I pay shipping and pick up
My next order is for 2 trunk pans (new) & some other parts. Seller of the AMD panels said he will invoice in 2 payments to leave one as a reciept for under the 1K.Shipping for this will be $150-200....try doing that another way.
Anything over $1k taxes & charges will apply. Been there never again.

I'll relate a story about my first experiences with shipping & customs
I brought a dust seperator in washington about 5 years ago.($800).Organised my own shipping ,completed paperwork ,wood declaration (ispm15) .The seller crated & supposedly clean it it up then into a wood box ,this is a no,no, you have to have approved treated wood products(ispm15).So I buy a approved pallet online and all is good.
Item arrives I get a broker to do the paperwork.Item gets flagged.$600!!! for washing to clean.
When I pick it up I find a wooden box on a new pallet.!! lol Told the guy sanding there WTF he said "so what" i looked at it and it was still dust ridden.Again I say WTF you charge for ,I could have pissed on it too??
Customs & Quarantine are F@ck sticks ,they charge for bullshit and screw you over.Fancy paying GST for 52 year old parts?

Funny part is when I got the dust seperator home & dismantled it I found heaps of wood dust & a little,live spider ,I let the little bugger go ,after all he cost a fortune to make it that far :)

Lol, Yeah I'm a product manager for a large sporting company, so I know the shipping head aches! Try importing products that intentionally have sand in them!

I've actually shipped in a front bumper for a 1950 Plymouth I was working on previously. Took a really long time 4-6 months from memory, and the price went up from $130-250 AFTER the product arrived. I've basically steered away from shipping brokers from that point. I CANNOT stand people that change the price AFTER quoting it. Its financial blackmail no two ways about it. Most also wont give definite prices. a 'Price indication' is not good enough to make a decision on. Facts or f$%# off.

hats off to you guys.you go though some serious crap to get your parts.i complain when it takes 4 days instead of three to get something,lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back