• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension doesn't travel up and down much

HAHNAGON

Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
Seems weird but my front suspension doesn't seem to travel much up and down. I might be overthinking it? When I jack up one side, the car raises. Not any of the components. I have ran this setup before but am having issues. Pst t bars and fast ratio arms. Boxed in lowers and tubular uppers, qa1 strut rods, hellwig bar, borgeson box, etc. It just doesn't steer, drive or corner like my last one and the last one didn't have the borgeson. The last setup like this was stiffer and steered like a new challenger minus the oe gearbox. Any advice, suggestions or a checklist to go through .would be helpful. Thank you.

20230813_171745.jpg

20230813_171738.jpg

20230813_171749.jpg

20230813_171756.jpg

Can you show the torsion bar adjuster? Its the single bolt bottom side of the lower control arm. Is it ran all the way in? Can't tell from the pictures. Also were the lower control arms at full droop when you installed the torsion bars? By this picture they look like they are cranked up. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

20230813_171749.jpg

E-Body but its all the same.

Last edited:
I installed the torsion bars at full drop. I had the adjuster all the way out, barely touching control arm adjusting lever/arm and then installed torsion bar. I adjusted the height from their, multiple times and set toe, and did my best with caster and camber each time. One day I had it low and the suspension must have settled and I heard the right tire rub on one turn so I cranked them up a bit before this photo. Is it possible the adjustable strut rods are causing an issue?

Did you tighten all the components up with the suspension hanging?

I can't remember 100% for sure but I'm pretty sure I did put it all in with the suspension hanging since I'm working on the floor. I did torque everything because i dont put the cotter pin in until i torque it. My next step was to disassemble and reassemble. Should I remove pins and retorque everything with the car/suspension sitting on the ground at ride height?

I can't remember 100% for sure but I'm pretty sure I did put it all in with the suspension hanging since I'm working on the floor. I did torque everything because i dont put the cotter pin in until i torque it. My next step was to disassemble and reassemble. Should I remove pins and retorque everything with the car/suspension sitting on the ground at ride height?

anything involving a rubber bushing should be left loose until the full weight of the car in on it........ then tighten

I would loosen everything up bit, put the car on it's wheels, bounce it a few times and then tighten things up. Especially the strut rods and control arms. The steering linkage shouldn't cause the car not to bounce. Think of all the components that move when you bounce it.

I would loosen everything up bit, put the car on it's wheels, bounce it a few times and then tighten things up. Especially the strut rods and control arms. The steering linkage shouldn't cause the car not to bounce. Think of all the components that move when you bounce it.
Ok. Thank you very much for the advice and your time. I will do that.

Jack the car up off the ground and support it by the frame or K keeping clear of the suspension travel. Slide the T bars back out of the control arms, take tires off, ensure top A-arm bumpers are seated, and then use a jack to move the suspension to its full upper travel. This should give you an indication of the problem, if there is one.

Auto Transport Service
Back