• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap alternator and AC locations?

BigFlo

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
So this is my first rodeo so forgive any stupid questions. I’m putting a ‘69 383 into my 65 Belvedere. Original car was /6, manual steering, no AC. I want to add under dash AC and keep manual steering. So I’ll have the alternator and AC compressor to deal with.
I know the alternator is mounted on the passenger side as that is where the brackets fit. But looking at the engine bay layout (AC lines and alternator wires), it would be much cleaner if the AC compressor was on the passenger side and the alternator was on the drivers side. I know that would mean custom brackets, etc but has anyone ever done this? Is this possible and worth trying to figure out? If anyone has done it, pics would be awesome. Thx

I installed a Vintage Air system in my '64 Polara last year and posted a thread of what I had done with pictures on the '62-'65 Forum. It is about 8 pages in, now. I left the Alternator and Power Steering pump locations unchanged, though. There is a mount kit available from Vintage Air. Since my car had already had a factory A/C system on it, I already had the required pulleys and alternator mount brackets. Hope this helps.

Here's a pic of the 440 that's now in my '64 Polara. The AC compressor is located where the power steering pump would normally be. I have manual steering on this car and this works pretty well. These brackets are available from https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/

IMG_5646a.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I know that I can mount the ac compressor where the power steering pump would be. My question is, can I mount the alternator where your ac compressor is and mount the compressor where your alternator is. I believe this would make the routing of wires and ac lines in the engine bay much cleaner.

I saw that once and the a/c comp. was mounted below the alternator down low closer to the frame rail. The alternator stayed in the stock position. It was a vintage air system if I recall correctly and don't know what mounting brackets were fabricated to do it though

I like the way you wrapped the ac lines in front. Looks good! I’m just thinking if it’s possible to mount the ac compressor where the alternator is, it would eliminate that. And if the alternator is where the ac compressor is, it would eliminate the that wiring on that side of the engine bay.
I don’t know - maybe I’m way off base.
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back