• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping original alternator for new

Obannon

Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
My original alternator tested bad by Autozone. They said they output amps were too low. I ordered a new duralast gold 78 amp 12 volt alternator and hooked it up. Its not charging. I can't figure out if somehow I hooked it up wrong. There are two terminals on the new alternator. I tried both starting with the one in the sam position as my original. Am I doing something wrong?

20220905_220242.jpg

20220905_220327.jpg

I believe one of the field terminals should be grounded, don't think it matters which. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Yup run one of those field terminals to a ground source and leave the other hooked to the wire in your harness. Your factory alt had one field wire while the other post was internally grounded. Most all of the alternators sold now are for the 1970 and up 3 wire voltage regulator.

My original alternator tested bad by Autozone. They said they output amps were too low. I ordered a new duralast gold 78 amp 12 volt alternator and hooked it up. Its not charging. I can't figure out if somehow I hooked it up wrong. There are two terminals on the new alternator. I tried both starting with the one in the sam position as my original. Am I doing something wrong?

View attachment 1338577

View attachment 1338578
What led you to have the have the alternator tested in the first place? It may be as simple as the voltage regulator needing replacement. The old "roundbacks" didn't put out out much current to begin with. And what year is the car? The old "roundback" you have pictured first is typically seen in '69 and older and will have (1) terminal as the field terminal and the other terminal is grounded to the casing of the alternator and not used. '70 and newer style are the "squarebacks" and they have (2) active field terminals. Many of the rebuilt alternators today use the "squareback" cases due to a shortage of the "roundback" cases I'm told. Typically on the '69 and older application alternators the grounded terminal will be clipped so you can't use it as well.

I believe one of the field terminals should be grounded, don't think it matters which. Maybe someone else can confirm.
If his vehicle is of this vintage using this style VR('69 and older), then one of the terminals should be grounded.
Standard Motor Products VR101 Standard Motor Voltage Regulators | Summit Racing

If it has this type of VR('70 and newer), then both terminals on the alternator would be used.
Mopar Performance 77R06285 Mopar Performance Voltage Regulators | Summit Racing

From what is seen in the pics I'd have to agree with @OKDart.

Yup run one of those field terminals to a ground source and leave the other hooked to the wire in your harness. Your factory alt had one field wire while the other post was internally grounded. Most all of the alternators sold now are for the 1970 and up 3 wire voltage regulator.
Great. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

What led you to have the have the alternator tested in the first place? It may be as simple as the voltage regulator needing replacement. The old "roundbacks" didn't put out out much current to begin with. And what year is the car? The old "roundback" you have pictured first is typically seen in '69 and older and will have (1) terminal as the field terminal and the other terminal is grounded to the casing of the alternator and not used. '70 and newer style are the "squarebacks" and they have (2) active field terminals. Many of the rebuilt alternators today use the "squareback" cases due to a shortage of the "roundback" cases I'm told. Typically on the '69 and older application alternators the grounded terminal will be clipped so you can't use it as well.
It's a 66 Plymouth satellite. I had it tested because it has an aftermarket stereo and it started cutting out at low RPM but has gotten worse. The squareback case doesn't fit perfectly and rubs the block, so unfortunately it's canted just slightly because they bushing won't fit in the mount. So I wish I had a roundback.

It's a 66 Plymouth satellite. I had it tested because it has an aftermarket stereo and it started cutting out at low RPM but has gotten worse. The squareback case doesn't fit perfectly and rubs the block, so unfortunately it's canted just slightly because they bushing won't fit in the mount. So I wish I had a roundback.
Check both terminals to make sure one isn't grounded already. A grounding washer will be installed under the terminal typically if so. If one of the terminals isn't grounded already then this can be done by removing the terminal and installing a washer under it as seen here. I just went through this with someone on FABO recently. The smaller arrow points to the grounding washer. Your field wire (green) will NOT be connected to this. It will be connected to the terminal that is NOT grounded. The larger red arrow just indicates how some of these new rebuilds will clip the unused terminal to help eliminate confusion.

1662467521412.png

Just a suggestion:
If you do make changes to ground one field, I would suggest you make them in such a way as to enable putting it back to isolated on both field terminals.
That way you can switch out to a solid state regulator in the future.
They work better at low rpm which is where it sounds like your problem lies.
The stereo cutting out is a bit odd.

I had my Questionable '71 GTX Alternator tested at all my local parts stores last year and it tested bad everywhere. Replacements were Squareback style.(which i was trying to avoid) I took it to a Alternator/Starter rebuilder in the big city and it tested fine,I reinstalled it and still charging today.

It's a 66 Plymouth satellite. The squareback case doesn't fit perfectly and rubs the block, so unfortunately it's canted just slightly because they bushing won't fit in the mount. So I wish I had a roundback.
The car is better off to get the original one rebuilt. Call around and find a local rebuild ship that can do this service for you.

the quality of the parts store rebuilds is in question.

So, I bought a new roundback alternator assuming it would be easiest to match the original. I installed it but it is testing 75%, bad charge by autozone. I wouldn't imagine the unit is bad... Does this means a different component is causing the issue,like the voltages regulator?

So, I bought a new roundback alternator assuming it would be easiest to match the original. I installed it but it is testing 75%, bad charge by autozone. I wouldn't imagine the unit is bad... Does this means a different component is causing the issue,like the voltages regulator?

Make sure:

1) The alternator is hooked up properly as indicated previously in this thread.

2) Verify charging voltage at high idle(around 1500 rpm). Should be around 14.5V

If voltage output is still low I’d test/replace the VR.

Make sure:

1) The alternator is hooked up properly as indicated previously in this thread.

2) Verify charging voltage at high idle(around 1500 rpm). Should be around 14.5V

If voltage output is still low I’d test/replace the VR.
Did you start with a fully charged battery?
If not it just might need a few minutes running to recoup the battery.
It might be fine as is.
Once again a working ammeter tells me what's happening.

It might be fine as is.
Assumption and overlooked. Very good point Don. You’re always a huge help.

I believe my 1966 alternator is date coded. My car isn't that rare, but on another that is a survivor, I plan to have the squeaking dry bearing original alternator rebuilt rather than replaced.

View attachment 1338577

View attachment 1338578
When your auto parts store tested your origional unit and condemned it by saying the output was "too low", what was the actual output, in actual numbers....not just too low. What was the applied field voltage, alternator RPMs during the test, what was the applied load during the test?? The auto parts store is in the business to make a profit and a new Duralast Gold unit contributes to their bottom line.
Now, you've got a new unit that will likely require a wiring revision and possibly a new regulator. And possibly larger size output wire gauge from the alternator to the bulk head / fusable link connection. Your initial pix shows a 1969 (or older) round back alternator, controlled by a firewall mounted mechanical voltage regulator. If it is a single groove sheave unit it is likely its a 37 amp unit; if a 2 groove sheave unit it may be a 46 amp unit from an A/C vehicle.
Others will proclaim the virtues of rewiring, fuse link, relays, etc.....why not just replace the original equipment alternator in kind, or have it rebuilt by a speciality shop.....then everything works and looks like originally intended....does the wheel really need re-invented?.......Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

It might be fine as is.
I just put it in a trickle charger last night. Yesterday when I took it for a drive to fill the tank and have the new alternator tested, before my post, I had it running for about a half hour. The ammeter show either discharge or right in the middle without much bounce like I had before the replacement.

I may need to figure out how to test the alternator from the alternator terminals instead of the battery, in guess... Then look at the voltage regulator.

Auto Transport Service
Back