• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sway bar

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I need a little help. I bought a set of lower control arms and a sway bar that is from a 70 charger. I figured B body is B body but after looking them over I am not sure there what I need for my 70 Plymouth RR. It is of course my fault if they don't and I am fine with it. But anyway would some one have a picture of a 70 Plymouth RR sway bar and control arms. I figure at the very least the LCA's will work.
Thanks

This is what I have. I just don't see where the two mounts on the sway bar would mount to my Plymouth frame.

IMG_1626.JPG

Hey guys I need a little help. I bought a set of lower control arms and a sway bar that is from a 70 charger. I figured B body is B body but after looking them over I am not sure there what I need for my 70 Plymouth RR. It is of course my fault if they don't and I am fine with it. But anyway would some one have a picture of a 70 Plymouth RR sway bar and control arms. I figure at the very least the LCA's will work.
Thanks

This is what I have. I just don't see where the two mounts on the sway bar would mount to my Plymouth frame.

View attachment 408362
Did you find those on the bottom of the ocean? Lol just razzing, are those both off the same car?

Did you find those on the bottom of the ocean? Lol just razzing, are those both off the same car?
I believe so. And really not as bad as they look. A little blasting and they will look good again. There for a driver car so will blast and paint and rebuild the LCA's and install if possible.

They'll clean up just fine, don't know too much about factory sway bar set ups but the aftermarket one I bought bolts into brackets on the LCA

The parts look correct for 70. Does your RR have a 70 K frame? Or does your K frame look like your 68 Charger? If so, you have a 68/69 K frame and they have a different set up for the sway bar. Starting in 1970 the sway bar went through the K frame

The parts look correct for 70. Does your RR have a 70 K frame? Or does your K frame look like your 68 Charger? If so, you have a 68/69 K frame and they have a different set up for the sway bar. Starting in 1970 the sway bar went through the K frame
I am pretty sure it is original to the car. Shouldn't the frame be drilled for the mounts that attach to the frame? I don't see hole one on mine. But it didn't come with a sway bar from factory.

I just installed a Helwig front sway bar on my 1970 Sport Satellite. The sway bar setup works the same as 1970 RR, the mounts bolt up to the k member. The pictures show how to install it to the k member.

Attachments

• hel-5904.pdf
    873.1 KB · Views: 154
Perfect Moes thank you very much. I was trying to as six pack said thinking it went like my 68 did. This makes perfect sense. I seem to have the bad habit of buying things on a whim then finding there not what I need lol. So then they go into the stash lol.
Thanks again

Sorry I don't have any pictures and I'm telling you this from memory, so bear with me.

You have the right parts. The sway bar itself goes THROUGH a section of the engine cross-member (k-member). You have to turn it backwards, insert it like thread in a needle and pivot it around the right direction if I remember correctly.

Those two brackets on the bar right now attach along the frame. There's a series of holes along the frame rails themselves. I "think" the K-member bolts up into some of those same holes. They're on the engine side of the front frame rails.

As you figured, the sway bar end links bolt up into those holes on the lower control arm. I believe all '70 Road Runners came original with front sway bars, so you might not need these lower control arms (look to see if yours have the little hole/loop on the side).

Oh yeah, if you can save those little "sleeves" on the sway bar end links that would be helpful (or at least measure them carefully). I'm using off-the-shelf Energy Suspension urethane end link bushings & I custom-cut the sleeves with a hacksaw so they fit perfectly. The center bolt of those links is nothing more than a grade 8 bolt, so you can find another one (the same length) pretty easy, but keep those for reference for now.

Thanks everyone for the input. Great site great people. I have Mustangs ,a Chevelle a gto several chargers and a Plymouth. Sometimes I get crossed up because I work on and gather parts on different cars even at the same time. But I can always count on you guys to help out.
Thanks

I am pretty sure it is original to the car. Shouldn't the frame be drilled for the mounts that attach to the frame? I don't see hole one on mine. But it didn't come with a sway bar from factory.
Not sure but I thought they all were drilled for sway bars but may not have. Both K frames I have are drilled. Here is a pic of one from a 70 Challenger

sway bar mtg holes.jpg

Not sure but I thought they all were drilled for sway bars but may not have. Both K frames I have are drilled. Here is a pic of one from a 70 Challenger

View attachment 408386
And once again you are right! I was comparing to my 68 (I've never looked at a 70) And they bolt to the front of the K member. Mine has the holes right where you marked them. I never thought the sway bar went back that far. My K member has the tunnel just like that one where it goes through. When I bought my 70 the sway bar was missing and one LCA was bent. I used a set of non sway bar LCA's I found. Now I am going to install tubular UCA's and use these to put it like it should be. Thanks for the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back