• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swiss discover a new material property by accident. The material can "remember", much like a human brain.

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=286759

AA18F2hC.png
The Premier Daily

Follow

Scientists Accidentally Discovered New Material That Can ‘Remember' Like a Brain​

Story by Sean Cate • 6h ago

1681782531465.png

Scientists from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland have accidentally discovered a new material that can ‘remember’ like a brain. The discovery of this material could have significant implications for the development of new types of computers and artificial intelligence that can more closely mimic the capabilities of the human brain.
AA19YDzV.jpg

Scientists Accidentally Discovered New Material That Can ‘Remember' Like a Brain© Provided by The Premier Daily

A Material that can “Remember.”​

The new material is made from vanadium dioxide, a compound that has already been extensively studied for its unique properties. However, the EPFL team discovered that when vanadium dioxide is used to create tiny electrical circuits, it exhibits a remarkable ability to “remember” past events, similar to the way the human brain operates1.
The researchers found that the material can retain a state of electrical conductivity even after the current has been switched off. This means that the material can effectively “remember” its electrical state before, which is a crucial characteristic for developing advanced computing systems that can adapt and learn like the human brain.

Potential Applications​

The discovery of this material has significant implications for developing new types of computing systems and artificial intelligence2. The material’s ability to remember past events could be used to create more advanced and efficient memory systems for computers, making it possible for computers to store and retrieve information more like the human brain does.

In addition, the material could also be used to create new types of sensors and other electronic devices that can more accurately mimic the behavior of biological systems. This could lead to the development of more advanced prosthetics and other medical devices that can more closely integrate with the human body.

Accidental Discovery​

The discovery of this new material was entirely accidental. The EPFL researchers were actually working on a different project when they stumbled upon this remarkable property of vanadium dioxide.

According to the team, the discovery was made when they were studying phase transitions from vanadium dioxide. They noticed that the material exhibited unexpected behaviour when the current was switched off, leading them to investigate further and discover its memory-like properties.
The accidental discovery of this new material is a significant breakthrough in the development of advanced computing and artificial intelligence systems. The material’s ability to remember past events is a crucial characteristic for developing systems that can learn and adapt like the human brain.
While there is still much research to be done to fully understand the material’s properties, the discovery could have significant implications for a wide range of fields, from computing and electronics to medicine and biotechnology.

This is closer to reality than you realize: I read yesterday about two AI programs that are currently running 24/7/365. The AI's instructions are to, quote" Figure out how to take over the planet and eliminate human kind.". They are listing and solving issues preventing them from success and detailing plans to succeed. Not kidding.

This is closer to reality than you realize: I read yesterday about two AI programs that are currently running 24/7/365. The AI's instructions are to, quote" Figure out how to take over the planet and eliminate human kind.". They are listing and solving issues preventing them from success and detailing plans to succeed. Not kidding.

Musk is calling for a pause on AI, but you know that our government and the Chinese are going to ignore Musk.

Musk is calling for a pause on AI, but you know that our government and the Chinese are going to ignore Musk.
It really feels like the powers that be are racing towards a finite point where a singularity will occur. It's scary.

..and just like that, all your "chrome vanadium" Taiwanese wrenches just became valuable.

Just what we need. We have fools that want to push that button already and now we would have a computer that could get tired of our stupidity and do it to all of us. Musk is right to ask for a pause on this dangers next step. You know what happens to a runaway locomotive...

Big brother will f--k it all up, use it for the wrong ****

sorry but;

Liberal Climate change - 97% scientists agree with who funds them - other 3% are banned.png

I have some rusty chrome vanadium wrenches. Does that mean they remember when I bumped a battery terminal with them back in the day?
Maybe I should go apologize to them.

My first thought when I read it was to wonder what my wrenches were getting up to out in the dark garage....

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=286759

View attachment 1451942
The Premier Daily
Follow

Scientists Accidentally Discovered New Material That Can ‘Remember' Like a Brain​

Story by Sean Cate • 6h ago

View attachment 1451941
Scientists from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland have accidentally discovered a new material that can ‘remember’ like a brain. The discovery of this material could have significant implications for the development of new types of computers and artificial intelligence that can more closely mimic the capabilities of the human brain.
View attachment 1451943
Scientists Accidentally Discovered New Material That Can ‘Remember' Like a Brain© Provided by The Premier Daily

A Material that can “Remember.”​

The new material is made from vanadium dioxide, a compound that has already been extensively studied for its unique properties. However, the EPFL team discovered that when vanadium dioxide is used to create tiny electrical circuits, it exhibits a remarkable ability to “remember” past events, similar to the way the human brain operates1.
The researchers found that the material can retain a state of electrical conductivity even after the current has been switched off. This means that the material can effectively “remember” its electrical state before, which is a crucial characteristic for developing advanced computing systems that can adapt and learn like the human brain.

Potential Applications​

The discovery of this material has significant implications for developing new types of computing systems and artificial intelligence2. The material’s ability to remember past events could be used to create more advanced and efficient memory systems for computers, making it possible for computers to store and retrieve information more like the human brain does.

In addition, the material could also be used to create new types of sensors and other electronic devices that can more accurately mimic the behavior of biological systems. This could lead to the development of more advanced prosthetics and other medical devices that can more closely integrate with the human body.

Accidental Discovery​

The discovery of this new material was entirely accidental. The EPFL researchers were actually working on a different project when they stumbled upon this remarkable property of vanadium dioxide.

According to the team, the discovery was made when they were studying phase transitions from vanadium dioxide. They noticed that the material exhibited unexpected behaviour when the current was switched off, leading them to investigate further and discover its memory-like properties.
The accidental discovery of this new material is a significant breakthrough in the development of advanced computing and artificial intelligence systems. The material’s ability to remember past events is a crucial characteristic for developing systems that can learn and adapt like the human brain.
While there is still much research to be done to fully understand the material’s properties, the discovery could have significant implications for a wide range of fields, from computing and electronics to medicine and biotechnology.
Remember? Remember what? What it's programmed with no external power source? That would only make machines more energy efficient. (Which is not a bad thing.)

AI will never become "Self aware" until computers go quantum level computing. But there are a WHOLE bunch of technical and theoretical issues and hurdles.

The human brain is a quantum computer to the best science can understand. Another words, it is far more advanced than even imagined just a few years ago.

How does the brain understand quantum mechanics and information from particles of multiple times? When we cannot cognitively envision that in our 4 dimensional universe? It appears the brain can differentiate particle theory. That Einstein calls "Spooky Science." Consciousness appears to be possible by receiving information from the future. Before the question was asked. Same Particle existing simultaneously in two or more locations. And/or times.

I don't know who God is. But this design is way past our ability to understand. And Because AI is also bound by the limits of our 4 dimensions. It too will not understand. Just a heck of alot faster.

But that just means the chances of AI becoming self aware may not be possible. It doesn't mean it can't be programmed with bad intent. To carry out bad intentions much faster . AI is not evil. We are.

The article could explain how this is different from regular old flashdrive memory. Some of you may have noticed that your hard drives don't go blank when you turn the computer off.

If Vanadium Dioxide is suitable for RAM, great, now I don't lose work if the power cuts out - but I've got a good UPS so that isn't a problem for me anyway.

The article could explain how this is different from regular old flashdrive memory. Some of you may have noticed that your hard drives don't go blank when you turn the computer off.

If Vanadium Dioxide is suitable for RAM, great, now I don't lose work if the power cuts out - but I've got a good UPS so that isn't a problem for me anyway.
That may be. A capacitor that doesn't have to discharge. There may be battery design considerations of such a material. I'm guessing it's super-duper expensive for mass production. But it's interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back