• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switching 1966 742 open rear to cone style suregrip. Questions

Fran Blacker

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
wid5.jpg
Will there be any problem setting axle side play? I have a cone style suregrip with bearings, I understand that the ID is different on the bearings. When reinstalling the adjusters for ring gear preload put them in housing then put caps on, that's the way I plan to do it. Before I removed ring gear back lash was .011. Should I load both bearing cups then back off right adjuster enough so the bearing cup doesn't hit the right hand adjuster until I have zero lash. Then tighten left adjuster to zero lash? Then tighten right adjuster to get .011 back lash? Just wondering if that's to much preload on bearings?

Edit Can anyone tell me what the 70 with a dash on right side means on the pinion. This is a factory mark. The 7 is hard to see.

Last edited:
The bearing caps should just be snug until you get the backlash and pattern right. Then torque the bearing caps to spec.

Auto Transport Service
Back