• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

T/R Carb choice

Well these carbs came up cheap and I could not pass on them, 950 TRE's, got them for US$1000 for the pair and the tunnel ram showed up, should do the job.

Al
try looking at a first gen camaro pedal and rod linkage to use
plenty of camaros in WA isnt there

Tex

My specific builds & specs don't really apply to your specific combo

I actually ran Mech. FI &/or Blowers &/or Alcohol on most all my real racecars for years,
that's what my preferences were..
A Enderle Bug or Bird Catcher or Hilborn 4 port or even a Shoot Gun hat on a tunnel ram
was great set-up...
I had a street/strip car, I ran a Enderle Bug Catcher hat Edelbrock tunnel ram combo, very workable, very drivable... But only after I put a really long arm for actuation of the throttle blades, so it wasn't just bag open throttle, you could actually use part throttle for cruising, not be in the wrong part of the barrel valve, just dumping fuel...

There's far more than one way to skin that proverbial cat...LOL

I've used several different styles/types of carbs
on many different types of tunnel ram in years past,
that were designed specifically for tunnel rams dual 4's inline or sideways,
the older style Holley style 0-4224 660cfm center squirters,
they flowed far more than 660cfm too, with side pivot float adjustments...
Smaller bowls & highly modified for my specific combo, worked very well, even drivable...
For up-to about 526ci IIRC to about 8,000 rpm {BBC}
I can't remember what the throttle feel was like, BUT
probably the A-typical multi-carb high peddle pressure type of feel,
pulling on multiple dual springs etc. & some were cable style OE type,
some were mechanical linkage for the peddles, depends on what projects...

Enderle linkage has been the std for decades now, set up well I really liked it...

Beyond that I also ran Holley 6109 750cfm tunnel ram/blower designed for dual carbs,
also side pivot float adjustments... also the smaller bowls, side mounted
on a couple of 477-540ci pulled to well over 8,000 rpm {BBC}, not as drivable as the 660's thou...

Even tried the 950cfm {3160 ?}& 1050cfm 3916-1S {IIRC} 3bbls
inline on-top a blower, it ran great, I switched it out for a Enderle hat FI & ran better...

The Holley 4500 1050cfm 0-9357-1 or 1150cfm 0-9377-1 carbs, dual inlet, center pivot floats,
larger bowls, extremely adjustable tunable, tons of great aftermarket support & parts...
That's if you have enough engine & need for the added cfm & fuel volume,
worked great on my 477ci all the way up-to my 540ci engines,
not really the best for street driving, but can be made to work, tinkering allot
but they were/are by-far the std of dragracing...

Split Dominators are a hoot, lots of fun to tune 8 carbs, some guys swore by them thou,
but with the bores over the ports can make a little difference in hp,
not really sure it's worth all the extra expenses, complicated linkage etc. thou...

Holley HP, Quickfuel {My choice usually, I stick with what has worked in the past},
Chuck Nuytten, Pro-Systems, Demon, Pro-Max, AED, Pro-Form etc. etc. etc.
there are a bunch of different aftermarket suppliers that can set you up pretty well,
they're not cheap from a custom shop thou...

They all had some good attributes, some were better than others,
or I wouldn't have used them in the 1st place, some were so long ago too,
I couldn't tell you how I feel about them either...

One carb doesn't fit all, what worked for me & my specific builds,
may not be the best for your specific combo, driving style etc.

Just saying 1 type carb or mfgr. is the best, is probably not reality at all
I've personally never liked Carters/Edelbrock carbs much at all,
But I've personally had far better luck, performance on the track &
especially 60ft times on equally set up carbs, with a Holley Style carb...

Different strokes for different folks thou,
Some people love the Eddy's, that's good for them...

@ Wide open throttle, if it's tuned right & has the proper cfm, proper fuel supply,
it shouldn't really matter who's brand you use,
I prefer Holley's & more so brand specific Quickfuel, aftermarket pieces...
I've had great luck with Pro-Max also on certain parts {mainly 6bbl stuff thou}...

Looks like you got a nice set-up now, test & tune away, $1000 is a deal too...
Good luck & have fun, go fast...

The reason for the harsh pedal is not the linkage or side mount vs inline. Its the carb. 4500s have stiff springs on the primaries and seconderies. And 3 linkage setups internally. Staged,progressive and 1-1. So when you get to the secondaries on 2 dominators with staged linkage(most common) things start bending. The first year of pro stock racers were fighting this. Thats when holley came out with the progressive or soft linkage carbs.

Have not been far because Im waiting on air filters but Jeeeesus it seems to have picked up a bit of mumbo, at around 40mph I opened the primary's only (about half peddle) and it wheel spins. Sitting in park, give it a quick stab and it brings the 6200 shift light on. Are these tunnel set ups renowned for making an engine rev quicker or more freely ?

Al ,

if it didn't pick up power there would be something wrong :D
the only tunnel ram I have worked with was a edelbrock on a 396 bb chev . made something like 25rwhp difference over a dart single plane with 850 proform carb . the tunnel ram only had 600 eddy carbs . made a lot more tq . plus was way easier to start and overall was just crisper .
as some people say - they just work !

Tex

You are the MAN....love that setup...I envy you....good job !!!!!
Ozy.....Please give us the full specs (build) on that motor...that is going to be great information for the rest of us mortal humans with "normal" 500" stroker motors.

I think a well tuned tunnel ram makes more power everywhere in the curve. I've seen some dyno curves to support that and found the same on my car. Once you get jetting and squirter dialed in, throttle response and WOT is awesome.

Auto Transport Service
Back