• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach sending unit

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
My tach was acting up this summer intermittently reading 1000 rpm high. I found someone local who can rebuild it. I was told it was located behind the glovebox, but I just checked the factory manual and it indicates it is under the front of the console. Anyone know which is correct before I start taking things apart? The car is a 1966.

I have seen them in the engine bay against the firewall, originally I believe they were in the front inside the console. Saw that in the 1965 parts manual. Late 66 were near the glove box. There you go!

I just found a picture I took when I installed the new speaker in the dash. No sign of it behind the glove box. I guess I'll have to pull the console.

IMG_20220702_142835884_HDR.jpg

Look down by your power pack for your gauges. Should be right there. ?

1701056815826.png

Last edited:
Hi Dave;
I don't think your tach sender will be under your console. The other '66 B-bodies would have it there, because tach was on the console. Your console mounted the clock. I believe the sender would be under your dash, somewhere near your dash mounted tach.
Another Dave

I just found a picture I took when I installed the new speaker in the dash. No sign of it behind the glove box. I guess I'll have to pull the console.

View attachment 1564384
I will see if I can find the pictures of the sending unit in the console, You do not have to remove the console. Just the top. If you look closely, you might find the tach wires coming down under the carpet to under the console. When was your car built?

If you want to know where it is I'm happy to go through it with you and why. Pm me for help. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I did see the power pack when I had the glove box out, so I will check there first. My car had the later sway bar and dash, so I assume it would be like a 67.

Thanks everyone. I did see the power pack when I had the glove box out, so I will check there first. My car had the later sway bar and dash, so I assume it would be like a 67.
67s did not have a separate sender. Was all part of the gauge.

Auto Transport Service
Back