• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taillight lens restoration?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
So, as I get my '70 500 cleaned up more and more...smaller defects are looking bigger. It happens. For instance - now that the paint has more shine to it than, say, a pool table (which is about how shiny it was when I got it!)...I'm seeing a lot more dents and dings. But I'm good with that. 50 year old car, paint that's probably 40+ years old...it's patina. Original stuff.

But, the taillight lenses are looking really dull. They aren't cracked or damaged; they're not faded or dark. They're not dirty - when I got the car, they got a good warm soap and water cleaning with an old toothbrush. They're just...dull. Dingy. As lenses, they work perfectly well and the light shines through them evenly (although I am considering spraying some reflective paint on the reflectors inside; I put fresh "chrome" paint on them a couple months ago but I'd still like brighter lights) - but looking AT them while the car sits, such as on the field at Carlisle, they just look....old and dull. Really no other way to put it. Again, they're 51 years old - it's not unexpected.

If they were flat/smooth, I'd hit them with the same Meguiars 110/210 procedure I've been using on the paint to get it to shine, but the corrugated finish...that won't work. Has anyone ever clear-coated the lenses, just to give them some shine? Or, should I just get over it and not look that closely at them?

There is a guy in Florida who did my Coronet R/T lenses and housings. They are nice. He polished the lenses somehow. I can try to find his info if you want.

Don't go digging, but if you stumble on it...

I may try some of the Meguiars on a buff wheel, instead of the pad I've been using on the paint...or I may just bag it and look more at the front of the car lol

He sells restored 68 Barracuda grills on ebag. If you search those you should fid him and his location will be Fla. He does nice work for sure.

Don't go digging, but if you stumble on it...

I may try some of the Meguiars on a buff wheel, instead of the pad I've been using on the paint...or I may just bag it and look more at the front of the car lol

Using a buffer could get hot and melt the plastic. Try their #9 swirl remover by hand with a soft cloth (cotton). Don't use anything that has wax in it because it will give the appearance of a good shine but will lose it's brilliance later. Get a good shine with something like #9 then use wax. Good luck!

There is also an old down & dirty trick... wash the taillights and use a clear paint to paint the lenses. it works well.

Yea, that was my first question - clearcoat. I have some spray clear.

I'll worry about it for a while. Carlisle is still a month off :D

Auto Transport Service
Back