• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Takes forever to start after sitting for a few days...

Working on carburetor vehicles I found that they all have their likes and dislikes when starting them cold and then when hot. Sometimes you just have to experiment to find what works best.

Yes, but the accelartor pump is pumping air then....
Of course it does until the carb bowls get some gas in them. You can crank your engine for a long time and it may not start until you set the choke. Pumping it may help or it may flood it. Pumping it with a empty carb will just get you air.

Yes, but the accelartor pump is pumping air then....
You stated that "crank it witout touching the pedal first" was the key which is incorrect.
The bowls will fill with the choke set or open when rotating the engine and running the fuel pump.
Filling the bowls is separate from the choke position which just reduces the intake of air causing the engine to draw more fuel versus air.
You can set the choke and then crank it to fill the bowls and finally pump the pedal to activate the accelerator pump.
I know its a minor point but I thought it was worth pointing out.

This is the inherent problem with carburetors they aren't always perfect when the temperature changes.
In general you would like to stay on the lean side to get the car started. Just enough to get it to fire.
Too many accelerator pump shots and you're dumping raw fuel into the cylinders and washing the oil off the cylinder walls.
This means WEAR.
Back in the 70's and early 80's it was common for many everyday car engines to start burning oil, lose compression and power due to worn points, sticky or misadjusted chokes etc...
In the northeast the small block LA engines had a bad way of developing ice in the venturi and getting really rich after 5 minutes of running on damp 30-40 degree weather.
But I digress...

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to duplicate the pump 3x, wait 5 sec to allow fuel atomization, turn key while blipping throttle technique shown in the video posted earlier in this thread? My car's been sitting for a week and I'm trying that method tomorrow.

I get in and tap the pedal, turn the key and crank briefly. If it doesn't start I stop and do it again. All 5 either immediately fire or on the second crank, even if they sit all Winter! Each has their quirks, you just need to learn what works and stick with it. Even my Hemi fires immediately after sitting for weeks.

Has anyone tried to duplicate the pump 3x, wait 5 sec to allow fuel atomization, turn key while blipping throttle technique shown in the video posted earlier in this thread? My car's been sitting for a week and I'm trying that method tomorrow.
Just tried it two days ago. Probably one of the quickest starts I've had, BUT, that was after priming the float bowls with a plastic olive oil bottle through the vents first (which I always do).

When you crank with your foot on the pedal, the t/blades are open. There is then little or no vacuum [ 'pull' ] applied to the idle discharge ports & the transfer slots, which is where the fuel comes from to start the engine. Result: Fuel is filling up the bowls but NOT being drawn into the engine, which is waiting for fuel so that it can start. Before cranking, tap the throttle ONCE to activate the choke then lift your foot off the pedal; the choke merely increases the vacuum draw for a quicker start. Once cranking & you hear the engine try to start, then give it some throttle.
As I said earlier in this thread, going through all this BS can be avoided by fitting an elec pump & it is also healthier for the engine.

The Electronic Ignition modules sometimes are the culprit here on start up after sitting.
The modules need to be woke up, first turning the key to on position for a few seconds, then turning back off.
Then push your foot to floor or enough to set your choke and carburetor fast idle cam to start positions, this requires a properly set up carb choke adjustment.
I can tell you how with a Ford 2100/4100 carb definitely, but holleys not at that level.
But the basic fact of carb , fast idle, choke plate, float bowl, air screw settings are the foundation of adjustment on every carbureted car.
Then there's hot starting to deal with.

The modules need to be woke up, first turning the key to on position for a few seconds, then turning back off.
I've got to disagree with this statement.
It's a solid state device not a vacuum tube.
Your likely associating what is really a lack of fuel with a lack of spark.

I think I try it this way:

- Crank for about 5 seconds to get fuel in the bowls
- wait 10 seconds
- pump the Gas 2 Times
- wait 5 seconds
- crank again

I will give you a feedback :)
Thx guys.
Don't pump gas twice, this will effectively unseat your fast idle cam on a properly set up carburetor

I've got to disagree with this statement.
It's a solid state device not a vacuum tube.
Your likely associating what is really a lack of fuel with a lack of spar
this is an electronic issue, as associated with restarting your IPhone or Satellite dish or internet service provider hardware as a few examples.

Do not touch the gas pedal at all once you've pressed it initially in your first cold start procedure.
With a properly adjusted and setup carburetor if you press the gas pedal again this will effectively cancel the cold start settings of a properly adjusted carburetor.

Last edited:
Hot starts.
They wouldn't dare try to tell a man how to start his car. Lol.

If it would let me upload the F.....g picture it would explain what Ford wanted their customers to know regarding hot starting gas pedal procedures.

Do not touch the gas pedal at all once you've pressed it initially in your first cold start procedure.
With a properly adjusted and setup carburetor if you press the gas pedal again this will effectively cancel the cold start settings of a properly adjusted carburetor.
Not if the choke is closed. Most never carbs have a choke unloader to clear a flood. It opens the choke at wide open throttle.

Not if the choke is closed. Most never carbs have a choke unloader to clear a flood. It opens the choke at wide open throttle.
The choke unloaded is to clear the fast idle cam once warm, so as to not have to physically press the gas to cancel fast idle once the car is warm.

I concur with the Video!! Thanks so much Mechanic for posting this.

I let the car sit for 10 days. 3 X all the way to the floor. Counted to 10 seconds. Foot off gas, Turned key. INSTANT engine ignition. It's never started so easily after a long multi-day sit. There must be something to the 10 sec wait time to let the fuel atomize with the air. Thanks a million!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back