• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tank replacement

mountain33

Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
I'm picking up a lot of rust in my fuel filters (yes filters running 2). My car is all original. Does replacing tank with new effect value or is it one of those things that doesn't matter. One way I either replace with new or try and seal up old tank. When i first got car tank had a lot of rust in it. Cleaned it out and its been good for awhile but rust is really starting to show again in filter. 71 RR so tank is 50 years old. Cost isn't a problem its i just don't. want to keep parts laying around for next guy who owns it. Anything i replace i keep old ones in bins. Doesn't matter to me but maybe the next guy might care.

Doing tank and stainless lines on my '71 Charger. Don't know how much Ethenol fuel will have in the future.

Don’t they sell a sealer for fuel tanks? I have no experience with them but have read about them.

Don’t they sell a sealer for fuel tanks? I have no experience with them but have read about them.
Ive seen a few post about sealers but they run about 120 for kit. POR-15. Highly recommended. Just don't know whether to just replace or try and seal. I guess if I was younger I would try sealer 1st and if it didnt work then replace. Now i feel like do it once.

Just throwing out the idea….

Ive seen a few post about sealers but they run about 120 for kit. POR-15. Highly recommended. Just don't know whether to just replace or try and seal. I guess if I was younger I would try sealer 1st and if it didnt work then replace. Now i feel like do it once.
Just change it. IMHO an original fuel tank is not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Replace the tank and be done with it, the inside is milled from rust and could rupture from weight of gas.
I tried rinsing out the tank on my 1964 but potato chip sized chunks of rust gave me pause, I replaced it.
I replaced the tank in my 1987 Diplomat and ran a filter before and after the fuel pump.
Good thing I did bc it almost left me sit on Rt 30 between the Columbia and Wrightsville exits.
The filter media was hour glassed by silt build up from using Hess premium gas.

Get a stainless steel tank, never have rust issue again.

I’m getting one for my car soon.

Get a stainless steel tank, never have rust issue again.

I’m getting one for my car soon.

Thanks! I didn't know they were being made in stainless. Did a search, and see some on E-Bay, and about the same price too.

I don't think anyone, even for a 71 Hemi Cuda convertible, will care if the tank has been replaced.

I had fine silt in my 70 Road Runner tank. It got through 2 filters and screwed up my carb several times before I finally got wise and replaced it. Cleaning/ coating a tank is difficult and may only work for a short time.

As others have said, I strongly agree to replace it.

Check fuel lines too.
When I got the Convertible, the carb git filled with trash from the old tank and lines.
Was looking at the lines and they had been cut and spliced back with rubber fuel line. Not sure if they tried to install an electric pump, or just fixing a leaking line.
One of the first things I do when I get a old car is fully inspect the fuel system. I spent alot of time trying to track down a performance issue and finally found the rubber hose connecting the tank was split allowing air to get sucked in along with some fuel. Had just the amount of fuel to run until you put a load on the engine.

Extra deep socket makes removing and installing the tank straps much easier.

Sunex 884505 3/8-Inch Drive 9/16-Inch Extra Deep Spark Plug Socket, CR-MO
https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-884505...ve&sprefix=sunax+884505,automotive,180&sr=1-1

Thank you all for response. Ordering tank and sending unit today. Thanks you again. You all have given me the push i needed to just do it right and quit screwing around with filters and cleaning carb.

Auto Transport Service
Back