• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrible engine noises after replacing valve cover gasket

I can't help thinking you have dropped something else down the head, like a washer from the bolt. Do you have a boroscope? If not I would get the magnet back down the hole and have a good fish around.

The bolts do have washers but I have all of them. I have been fishing around with my magnet but haven't got anything. I don't have a boroscope. My next step may be to take the rocker arm off and inspect all the pushrods. I really don't want to take the intake off but I might have to.

I'm fairly certain there was nothing else dropped in the intake area. I've been playing around with my magnet for a while now and there's no sign of anything down there.

Last edited:
Yes, the rockers are on correctly and the pushrods seated in the little dents like they are supposed to.

If "all of a sudden" you have half your pushrods not seated in the dimple on the rocker arms, then my first guess is that one of them isn't really seated or maybe a rocker arm is slightly hanging up on one of the rocker arm shaft pedastles (sp?) when you bolt up the rocker arm shaft or maybe the bottom of one of the pushrods is on the "lip" of the lifter and not down in the lifter's dimple. All pushrods should be at least snug and some super tight (because those valves are open). I suggest you take a REALLY good look under the valve covers for more bolts & maybe go "fishing" again with those magnets for more stray parts and take a good look to see if something "looks crooked". You're idea of cranking the engine over with the valve cover (or covers) off isn't a bad idea. Look and listen carefully to help you narrow down (front/back or left/right) which cylinder(s) is affected. You can just unplug the plug wire coming out of the ignition coil.

To check pushrods for being bent, once you clean them off pretty well & make sure there's no sludge on the sides, they should roll smoothly on a mirror. If one is bent & doesn't roll straight, replace that one.

I suggest you leave all the pushrods/rocker arms/etc. in the same position they started in if possible (don't mix-n-match if you can help it). I suggest you keep the pushrods facing the same direction up/down too. On each rocker arm/pushrod/lifter combo, you can check for excessive wear on the end of a pushrod or in the dimple of a rocker arm vs. the other ones on the motor. If everything looks straight & moves normally, the last thing to check would be a "collapsed lifter". Lifters have springs inside & that is part of what makes each pushrod fit "snuggly". If one of those springs breaks, that pushrod will "seem too short" and fit really loosely.

One last thing...and only if you changed valve covers...look underneath them to see if some metal looks "shiny" or dented like a rocker arm was hitting it there. When you change stuff, sometimes the rocker arms can hit the valve covers. That's why the other guys are asking if you have baffles under your valve covers which would stick down a little bit.

And you need to use a torque wrench when you bolt up those rocker arm shafts. The bolts might "feel" tightened the same, but you can get fooled really easily by the valve springs... a torque wrench is a must. You can also use a little bit of silicone "RTV" gasket sealer to hold the valve cover gasket in place while you're putting it back on. They can slip over a little bit sometimes and leak like crazy...we've all had that happen at least once.

Last edited:
Alright thanks, I'm going to pull the pushrods to see if they are straight. Then I'll crank the engine with the passenger side push rods out to see if the noise goes away.

I'm a novice too. A very slight bend in a rod could only be detected by spinning it at high speed. Minor, but significant. All were changed.

Well, I found out what it was... a bent pushrod. It's very bent! Do you think it could have screwed up my cam?

Also, is there a place that I can run to (Napa, oreilly, autozone) that sells 318 pushrods or do I have to order it online?

Last edited:
Well, I found out what it was... a bent pushrod. It's very bent! Do you think it could have screwed up my cam?

Also, is there a place that I can run to (Napa, oreilly, autozone) that sells 318 pushrods or do I have to order it online?
Just one? Picture?

getPart
Visually, just one of them is bent and this was the one that came loose. I must have not put the rocker shaft on right. Anyone know the length of a 1974 318 pushrod?

Not sure where I got mine, but not sourced locally. Get the best quality you can. Mine may have come from Hughes, don't remember. Replace all on that side.

Okay so I threw in an extra pushrod that I had laying around. It was the same length and everything. I did this to see if it would still make those noises and bend the rod because I didn't want to wreck a brand new set of pushrods. I started it up and it ran smooth but has a pretty severe tick. I'm wondering if that lifter got messed up when the valve bent. I tried to upload a video with no success. I'll keep trying.

Here is a link
What does this sound like to you?

Last edited:
might have scored the cam,deffo killed a lifter.
also check the inside of that Rocker arm,pretty strong sounding clack.

might be a good time to install a New cam n lifter set?
you are going to be in there anyways,so it makes sense.
dont forget to install a new dbl roller timing chain too if you dont have one yet.

Alright, I'll have to dig into it next weekend. Will it do a lot more damage if I drive it 10 minutes to my storage shed or will it be okay?

I'm not sure how much money I want to dump into this engine. I eventually want to throw a 360 in it.

It might do a lot more damage if you even start it up again. Not trying to imply anything but I would get a much more skilled mechanic to advise you in person on how to diagnose and repair your engine properly. You may inadvertently cause more damage. I have been rebuilding engines for over 35 years and the overlooking the simplest things can be catastrophic.

Or you might be OK, when this happened to me the motor had been unopened for, ummm .... weeks, and it let go at a stoplight. Drove home 3 miles, hammered that puppy straight, put it back in, and haven't had a problem with that pushrod in 35 years and many miles.

sounds to me as if one Valve is not opening
Re-do your push rods
Also, get a Boro scope, Harbor Freight, $79
I have a Milwaukee

Auto Transport Service
Back