• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That Damn Richard Cranium Made Me Do It!

The latest issue of Motor Trend has a comparison between the Hellcat and whatever the most high performance version of a Camaro is. Motor Trend doesn't quite get the 11.20s on stock tires and 10.80s on drag radials times out of it. It's more like 11.80s on stock tires and 11.20s on drag radials. Not sure why the slower ETs, maybe they tested at a track with worse density altitude.

Another interesting part of the comparison was that they took the Hellcat and Camaro to the Irwindale 1/8 mile track and the Camaro seemed to have the edge in the 1/8 mile, they said it was easier to get the Camaro to hook there.

The latest issue of Motor Trend has a comparison between the Hellcat and whatever the most high performance version of a Camaro is. Motor Trend doesn't quite get the 11.20s on stock tires and 10.80s on drag radials times out of it. It's more like 11.80s on stock tires and 11.20s on drag radials. Not sure why the slower ETs, maybe they tested at a track with worse density altitude.

Another interesting part of the comparison was that they took the Hellcat and Camaro to the Irwindale 1/8 mile track and the Camaro seemed to have the edge in the 1/8 mile, they said it was easier to get the Camaro to hook there.

An 11.8 on stock tires would let you have a lot more fun whittling down your time at the drag strip. I made a lot of passes in my 96 Viper GTS before I ever ran a sub 12 ET. Once you run 11.49, you get thrown off the track without a roll bar, and I don't see a roll bar in my Hellcat's future.

I don't know if the car comparison you referenced used the manual or automatic. The automatic seems to be drag strip monster able to snap off shifts much quicker than any human can with a manual. Plus the advantage of consistency and 8 speeds verses 6. I ordered the six speed since that seems to be preferable in the old muscle cars and cost less, but I hope I don't regret that decision. This is not your father's automatic as they say. The old 4 speed/3 speed torqueflight decision was not the same as today's 8 speed automatic verses 6 manual speed choice. I liked the guy who said he opted for the automatic so he could just focus on keeping the car on the road.

Edit:

I just read the Motor Trend article and they state best time was 11.7 at 125.4 on unprepped asphalt as compared to Dodge time of 11.2 on a VHT prepped track. Motor trend also stated the car was an automatic and there best time was launching from second gear due to traction problem.

The Hellcat soundly spanked the Camaro ZL1 that did 12.2 at 116.6. Motor Trends previous test of the much lighter 662 HP Shelby GT 500 showed 11.6 at 125.7.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1407_2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hellcat_first_test/

you are fortunate to be able to have the best of both worlds...enjoy the fruits of your labor!

What really pisses me off is I am not enjoying either world right now. The GTX has been in paint/body shop for 15 months and the Hellcat is on order for delivery at a yet unspecified future date. I may have never ordered the Hellcat if I could have gotten the paint/body shop to give back my GTX so I could reassemble it. I have 14K in new/refurbished GTX parts sitting in the garage. Just got my revamped four channel high power now AM/FM original AM factory with new speakers back two weeks ago. Meanwhile I am driving my Honda CRV! This kind of sucks!

The Hellcat has a reported top speed of 199 MPH. It seems like they could have squeezed out another lousy MPH. I believe the Shelby GT 500 Mustang is reported to actually break 200, but I don't plan on seeing much of that end of the speedometer. 199 is pretty fast for a pig of a car weight wise.
So, where exactly are you going to drive this car, and be pissed that you only hit 199?

congratulation's !!!!.....one Bad *** Car My Friend !!

"obviously this dude can afford it"

this caliber of car is not for everyone..

So, where exactly are you going to drive this car, and be pissed that you only hit 199?

Probably only on vacation in Canada. You have to go very fast there to avoid running down an elk from what I hear! LOL

I owned a 94 Viper RT/10 capable of probably 160 and a 96 Viper GTS capable of probably 175, and the fastest I have ever driven a car was a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury 383/335 4 speed I drove in high school, and that was probably on bald tires. Car was a lead sled convertible and geared for top end. I raced a 69 Super Bee on a long downhill grade on the interstate and pegged the speedometer at 120+. The Super Bee said his speedometer was showing 135 and neither of us was able to gain on the other.

The fastest I ever drove the 96 GTS was just under 12 seconds and 123 at Gainesville Raceway. I am not about high speed on the street, but still love those 0-60 blasts on roads with no traffic and no speed traps.

The 199 sucks when the Hellcat Charger does 204. It is all about aerodynamics, I guess. They probably could of just made the side mirrors fold back better and got the extra 1 MPH, just for sheer bragging rights.

Wait and see if Richard Petty puts one of his 'Challenger Superbird' bodies on this engine...then you'll see the speed. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back