• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That scary word, Cancer...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack anyones threads here on this subject but I felt compelled to start one myself.
As men, we often play tough and ignore signs that something is wrong with us. We sometimes just deal with pain and chalk it up to "getting older".
I'm sure that many of you have heard that early detection gives us the best chance of survival.
Maybe some of you guys are living with a condition that you would rather not discuss on a worldwide forum. I understand that as I rarely post personal stuff online.
I've had family members get sick and die and I have never posted a single word about it. Not because I didn't care....it was because I just didn't feel right to burden others with my own personal problems.
In April of this year I had a persistent knot in my stomach that had me worried. I was off work longer than usual due to the wet winter and I had anxiety about being off of work so long. I went to the doctor and was examined. Nothing obvious was found but the Doc ordered a Cat scan. The scan showed nothing in my stomach but they did find a cyst in a kidney. I had several treatment options and explored them all. I researched my condition and have found that most kidney issues like mine are found by accident. I've been told that once actual symptoms show themselves, it is often too late to save the kidney.
Also, research shows that MOST men over 50 have kidney cysts and most are fatty, non cancerous types.
I do not smoke or use illegal drugs. I rarely drink booze. I am in decent shape and get plenty of exercise from working in construction. My family all smoked, some drank, others used drugs. I am by far the one living the healthiest life.
I took this early warning as a gift from God. Without it, things could have gotten worse without any warning.
I had surgery on Monday and was home yesterday before noon. They used a 6 arm surgical robot and a team of assistants. The Doc didn't even touch me, the robot arms did it all. 4 small holes for the surgery, one for drainage. Within 6 hours of surgery, I was walking around the hospital. Within 24 I was home. I have abdominal soreness comparable to what you get from a heavy workout or a few punches to the gut. THis is nothing compared to pain I've had when the nerves in my back flare up.
The procedure involved removal of the mass and closing up the gap. I got results today: The cyst was 2.7 X 2.7 CM and was cancerous but the margians are clear/negative. They try to cut beyond the ugly to healthy tissue to be sure they get all the cyst out, the healthy area is called the "margian".
In short, my point is THIS:
If you feel something odd, if something seems different, get it checked! I was scared as all hell until waking up in the recovery room. Since early May I've had a roller coaster of scary thoughts about my future. Mine was a slow growth so I was not in any immediate danger but this isn't always the case.
Do not think that ignoring potentially serious health problems is a wise move.
Because of early detection, my chances of a long life are good. Yours can be too.

So good to hear that you got fixed. May you live long and well. Congrats.

But . . . . . .:xscuseless:

:lol:

My stomach looks like I was hit with 4 gunshots...I will not burden you with that visual!

I could reiterate many stories about what you say. Sorry to hear you had the trauma but it’s truly a blessing and a gift that you caught it in time and you got things checked out. I have friends and family that have not gotten things checked and have had far worse results. Too many stories to tell. One just recently about a friend that had a routine physical and they found he had stage 4 kidney cancer - no symptoms whatsoever. Now he’s avoiding treatment. Get checked everyone. Have your regular physicals. Stay healthy, live long.

Yeah, it is odd that kidney problems often have no symptoms even up to failure.
I've been a nervous wreck for months. Online car forums have been a great escape for me.
On Sunday, I went to get some wiper blades for the Wifes CRV. While in the NAPA store, a co-worker of the Wife's came up to me and we started talking. He had kidney surgery 5 years ago and is doing well. As corny as it sounds, this was like some sort of divine intervention for me! Here I was, one day away from the scariest event in my life and this guy happens to come along to provide me with reassurance and comfort just when I needed it most. He isn't even a car guy, he just went there to check on prices for brake pads for his Volvo.
Tell me that was just a coincidence. I feel it was a higher power reaching out to help me when I needed it.

This sounds like a story with a happy ending and thanks for encouraging us to take better care of ourselves, especially in the preventive medicine department.

I have heard for years about skin cancer being a problem. Irish skin in sunny California....At least with skin cancer you can see outward signs of it. The stuff inside is hidden away and we rarely think about it.

I am one of those that is reluctant to get things checked out...Until a kidney stone that passed( rough) led to Finding I had 10 kidney stones in my kidneys, the size of marbles. 7 procedures, each 3-4 hours to get them busted up with laser and pieces removed . I never had a clue that they were there. Keep in mind , the suffering of failed kidneys and harsh cancer treatments may be avoided by early treatment...............MO

I have heard for years about skin cancer being a problem. Irish skin in sunny California....At least with skin cancer you can see outward signs of it. The stuff inside is hidden away and we rarely think about it.
that is where I'm at..freezing off skin spots every couple months for the rest of my life.
Kern Dog, I wish you the best with your treatments , and thank you for your testimony...it could save someone a lot of grief......................MO

Your story is so very familiar, KD, for it's mine as well - except I had the extreme edition of it, unfortunately.
In 2013, I was in to the doc with some complaint of pain in what was thought to be the gall bladder area. Turns out it was just another bleeding ulcer (of which I have collection of and have "died" from more than once), but that visit spurred my doc into beginning what he called "old man" tests that folks over 50 supposedly are to have done.
Off to the sonogram for a general abdominal scan - which found "something" on top of my left kidney. I was halfway to my next job when they called me back to the hospital for an MRI - which showed the walnut-sized growth on top of my left kidney.

Now keep in mind, there had been no symptoms of kidney problems. We lost my little brother to kidney failure some years ago, but I hadn't experienced issues.

In my case, everyone involved on the medical side sort of clammed up on me, but the tests continued, rapid-fire. Finally, I was referred to the preeminent robotic surgery doc at UT Medical, who laid it out for me:
I had a cancerous tumor on top of my left kidney - and it was the very aggressive kind. He told me to be prepared for surgery in two weeks time and that I was being moved to the top of the urgency list.

Things happened fast from there. I had insisted on seeing each scan, each test, right up on the screen even though they kept telling me that wasn't allowed.
Tough. Having survived cancer twice before and having run out of blood and flatlining other times, I had by necessity become very hands on with this carcass.

Long story short, the walnut grew to the size of a grapefruit in two weeks' time.
They had to open a hole big enough to pull that out, so my "4 holes" are similar to yours, KD - except one you could stick your fist in. :)
Recovery time was understandably much longer than yours as a result.
Surgeon told me afterwards I was within a week of dead - that tumor was on a mission.

KD, you're so right - none of the maladies I've survived announced themselves and like so many others, the kidney tumor was discovered by accident, the result of a doc being cautious (and as later revealed, he told me he "just had a hunch").
There are permanent, painful ramifications to mine, but it beats hell out of the alternative.
Y'all PLEASE don't ignore symptoms. Could be, your life depends on it.

You had me worried, thought you were going to say you found out some really bad news. Guess you still did but in a more positive way, glad you got into the doc!

With all of the cancer now days it's always in the back of my head.

Kern Dog glad to hear you caught it early and got it taken care of. Sending prayers to you for a speedy recovery. And prayers to the rest of you dealing with health or other issues.

My father did manual labor till he was 62 and as a result had a deteriorating back. In his late seventies he was going to a chiropractor for his back for over a year. He woke up one day and was urinating blood. His back was not the issue, he had kidney cancer. He had surgery and ultimately passed of something not related to that cancer. Kern, hope you feel better, your still a young guy and in good shape which i think will help.

Whew.... glad it went well look forward to more good posts from you .. on B&A body’s only .. I have heard living is something we do while where waiting to DIE ! Nobody gets out alive stay healthy be happy

Glad to hear this KernDog! I hope you are with us for a long time to come! Prayers sent your way for a full recovery!

I have been seeing my doc for a non-descript vague discomfort in my right side gut. I've seen him twice and twice he said don’t worry. I still worry though. The doc is probably following guidelines of the health insurance industry for when to send me for an MRI, but I wished that he sent me anyway. It's been going on for almost a year now.

Glad to hear you're ok Kern. Keep up on the check UPS. Can't be too careful. Hopefully the rest of us will take heed.

I'm like you, lost a friend this year to cancer. Hadn't smoked cigarettes for 20 years, got lung cancer and died within 6 months. 56 years old.

Cancer is a unforgiving bitch. It takes many....way too young. Glad you got looked at and tuned-up. Modern medicine is nothing short of a miracle.
Most people don't realize that we have an average life expectancy that's almost twice as long, as a hundred or so years ago.

WOW Greg! I am happy to hear all is well. You HAVE to give up the Big Gulps now Bro. I was making kidney stones on a regular basis until I stopped drinking sodas of any kind. The stones stopped when I stopped drinking that nasty ****. Rest well my friend.

Auto Transport Service
Back