• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Year for the Charger?

I have noticed that a large percentage of 1970 Chargers were this same FK5 color. A LOT.
Jigsaw is FK5. Island Kent has one, YOU have one, a guy on Youtube in Chicago dragged one out of a long hibernation and is building one.
I looked at the 1970 Charger Registry and saw that something like 13% of the 1970 Charger 500s were this color, the highest percentage of all colors.
My other 70 500 S.E. was originally T6 dark tan poly which is essentially brown with a tan top and tan interior. Never seen today since everyone has repainted the browns and the greens.

People like green; and they missed the detail oddities?

What is the official definition of "survivor" anyway?

The bidders want one real bad. @kiwigtx knows who I'm talking about.
:lol:

The car may be unrestored, but it has been repainted. Note the license plate bumpers.

05.jpg

What's with the bent up hood?

09.jpg

39.jpg

Here's the cause of the rotted trunk floor....

31.jpg

I’ll take a financial viewpoint and say Gen 1 ( and because I’m a new owner!). I was able to locate an original 67 with 383 4 speed factory air and power windows. Driver quality and then some. 30k.
It sits next to a Gen 2 at the local speed shop that was pulled from TX and essentially a shell for the same price. And with the post about pricing on parts, it seems that while Gen 1 parts are not as plentiful, they are still a little less expensive.
Yes it’s a different body style, but drivetrain, engine, etc all the same. The more you look at the exterior lines, it grows on you.
I purchased it because I’ve always wanted a Mopar, and knew there was no way I could afford a good Gen 2. And also in the hopes that the Gen 1 will appreciate at similar levels someday. But that’s a little less important.

People like green; and they missed the detail oddities?

What is the official definition of "survivor" anyway?

The bidders want one real bad. @kiwigtx knows who I'm talking about.
The car may be unrestored, but it has been repainted. Note the license plate bumpers.

View attachment 1417121

What's with the bent up hood?

View attachment 1417122
View attachment 1417123

Here's the cause of the rotted trunk floor....

View attachment 1417124
Maybe EBay is better than Mecum and BJ lol

I had a 70 charger 500 that was deep burnt orange. It was a 383 4-bbl, 4-speed,buckets, console,a/c,wood wheel,am/fm,pedal dress up, side rubber bumpers for shopping carts, and probably more I'm forgetting. Had 3 beautiful build sheets and other interesting factory papers under the carpet. From Arizona the body was mint, but needed full resto. Had to sell it to buy my house. Guys who bought it promptly rebodied it to a vitamin c r/t...broke my heart...it was a rare car with a lot of documents. I never would have sold it If I knew that was gonna happen. Stupid

The real question is '68 vs '69 vs '70 in the overall best year for Mopar B-bodies? I believe '69 slightly edges out both '68 and '70. The A12 option of '69 RoadRunner and Superbee certainly adds a bump for '69. And I believe '69 is clear winner for Coronet/Superbee platform. And a slight winner to Plymouth GTX/RoadRunner/Satellite. Charger (IMO) '68, '69 then '70 in that order.

This poll may never be settled. And I will admit my own personal bias. But I personally believe '69 is the best year in US automotive design history. I think Camero and Mustang fans might agree. Corvette lovers will disagree. In that world it's '63 vs '67. But Mopar B-bodies? VERY close.

If I needed three more 2nd gen Chargers:
'68 Charger R/T
'69 Charger 500
'70 Charger Daytona
Another garage:)

All would have to be 4 speeds and at least one would have to be a 426 HEMI.

The real question is '68 vs '69 vs '70 in the overall best year for Mopar B-bodies? I believe '69 slightly edges out both '68 and '70. The A12 option of '69 RoadRunner and Superbee certainly adds a bump for '69. And I believe '69 is clear winner for Coronet/Superbee platform. And a slight winner to Plymouth GTX/RoadRunner/Satellite. Charger (IMO) '68, '69 then '70 in that order.

This poll may never be settled. And I will admit my own personal bias. But I personally believe '69 is the best year in US automotive design history. I think Camero and Mustang fans might agree. Corvette lovers will disagree. In that world it's '63 vs '67. But Mopar B-bodies? VERY close.
No, the original question for best year was for Chargers only, no Coronets or Plymouths.

For all you guys that have been in a 68, and a 69, which dash pad did you like better?

Auto Transport Service
Back