• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The car loses power on the second pass.

The track is 6,000. I live at 7,500. Of course, in 20 minutes we can reach 14,115. That's pretty close to God especially if you lose your brakes on Pikes Peak Highway. I actually worked at this race. The middle of summer and the weather was Sheet. If you've ever done the Pikes Peak Highway they stop you halfway down and check your brake temperature. Too many flatlanders riding their brakes on the way down. Brakes fail then they go off the edge of the mountain.

Last edited:
My old roadrunner used to do the exact same thing at the track. It was always vapor lock.

Common causes of vapor lock include:​

• High outside ambient temperatures
  • Extreme engine operating temperatures
  • Fuel lines routed too close to the exhaust system and other hot components
  • Running a winter fuel blend during warm weather
  • Driving at a high altitude

Cool cans were the thing in the previous century.
Usually an aluminum can, with a fuel line coiled maybe ten or fifteen times inside, sometimes with insulation. Pour in ice-cool fuel. In between pump and carb.
Funny thing, engine masters did a test of cool fuel vs hot fuel. Cold fuel makes power, more than icing down intakes, like some racers do.
I think I may have one floating around in my garage..... somewhere.

Last edited:
How close to God are you Steve ?
:rofl:
Cool cans were the thing in the previous century.
Usually an aluminum can, with a fuel line coiled maybe ten or fifteen times inside, sometimes with insulation. Pour in ice-cool fuel. In between pump and carb.
Funny thing, engine masters did a test of cool fuel vs hot fuel. Cold fuel makes power, more the icing down intakes, like some racers do.
I think I may have one floating around in my garage..... somewhere.
Used to run a cool can on my car in 1970.....pain in the butt so got rid of it after a couple of weekends. And never had an issue with vapor lock on any of my cars in the Texas heat. Don't ask why because I have no idea lol

Gas with ethanol in it will boil way easier than real gas we were sold back in the day.

I tried to look up a cool can but didn't find anything.
Google "fuel cool can" They are about ten times more expensive than when I bought one....
The Mr Gasket one is what I remember, unchanged for 50 years, .....except for the price.

Bet the vapor lock happens before wherever you could mount a cool can. If you don't want to buy one to see if it works. Get gallon size coffee can with a snap on plastic lid and make one. Then put an electric pump. A 5/16 line cheapo to try out? Amazon product ASIN B07JPDZC4M

Google "fuel cool can" They are about ten times more expensive than when I bought one....
The Mr Gasket one is what I remember, unchanged for 50 years, .....except for the price.
What was you makin per hour 50 years ago. I was subcontracting home construction work from my dad and averaging 5 bucks an hour in 1970 and barely putting in 6 hours a day....but was producing the same amount of work that most did in 9 hours. Was doing exterior wall gyprock and decking (decking for both wood shingles and comp) and 5 bucks filled up my gas tank with Mobil Supreme.

What was you makin per hour 50 years ago. I was subcontracting home construction work from my dad and averaging 5 bucks an hour in 1970 and barely putting in 6 hours a day....but was producing the same amount of work that most did in 9 hours. Was doing exterior wall gyprock and decking (decking for both wood shingles and comp) and 5 bucks filled up my gas tank with Mobil Supreme.
In 71, I was making $2.15, but I couldn't get $3.00 worth of regular into my Vega (DONT ask!)
I bought my cool can used, around five bucks. It's just a fuel coil and a can, couldn't see spending $12.95 for a new one.....

We were running the 71 Challenger at the track today. It's just a 1/8 mile. It has a 408 stroker from BluePrint Engines. On The first pass, it does great. It was not a hot day. Maybe 80 degrees at the most. Coming around for the second pass we had to wait in line between 5 to 10 minutes. We turned off the engine whenever we could. It would heat up but not terrible. The second pass is way down on power. Shifting to second gear the engine bogs terribly, hardly any power even feathering the throttle. After letting the car cool down for 45 minutes it's back to good power then the second pass is crappy. What's going on?
Sounds like you're suffering from the tired engine syndrome......the solution: Quit after the first pass.....then become a spectator for the rest of the day......at zero $$ expended.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back