• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The dreaded P0420 code

Yep caravans don't like bad battery's or connections

And when you smoke your computer from a shiddy battery or alternator you get a rebuilt computer with a few solder joints fixed and maybe a resistor or diode change...an even bigger joke. They never seem to charge right after that. A GOOD battery is the cheapest insurance.

First thing I would do is clean every ground you can find and buy a new battery.

Disconnecting the battery will clear the codes.
Get the battery and charging system right then go from there

And when you smoke your computer from a shiddy battery or alternator you get a rebuilt computer with a few solder joints fixed and maybe a resistor or diode change...an even bigger joke. They never seem to charge right after that. A GOOD battery is the cheapest insurance.

The batt. is 3 months old, O'Reilly's charged it up, load tested good. I cleaned everything when I replaced batt.
Outside of the sensors, O'Reilly's suspect that the reg. has gone bad. The reg is in the computer. And the hits just keep on commin!

Pretty simple to test the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. Should be at least 14 volts

Pretty simple to test the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. Should be at least 14 volts
I show that until I got a check eng. & gage light while driving and the whole dash goes dead, then it starts to run like crap and dies with a totally dead battery. Batt was dead but load tests good after a charge, so what's killing the batt with a healthy charging system??? Just sitting in the garage earlier Idling all I got was a MAP code, no "loss of batt. voltage" code and I had every accessory running just to put a strain on it. Did I not run it long enough or what? I ran it a good 20 minutes.

I show that until I got a check eng. & gage light while driving and the whole dash goes dead, then it starts to run like crap and dies with a totally dead battery. Batt was dead but load tests good after a charge, so what's killing the batt with a healthy charging system??? Just sitting in the garage earlier Idling all I got was a MAP code, no "loss of batt. voltage" code and I had every accessory running just to put a strain on it. Did I not run it long enough or what? I ran it a good 20 minutes.
Yeah,troubleshooting is a process. You can guess at stuff and start replacing parts. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes it gets really expensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back