• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The end is near for the Hellcat.

there's a post on that very subject already
it turned political, got moved

3-2-1 so will this

Dodge doesn't seem to know their demographic
the actual people that buy their brand/products

Emissions? What about the hotshot Fords and Chevys?
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's more of a decision by the "new owners" to begin phasing out Dodge all together..

What fines? Also, how does Ferd and GM get away with supercharging?

First of all, I thought they already stopped making it!?

Secondly, why not make the Hellcat and the new EV version and let the consumer decide?
Sure there is a lot of power to be had from an EV, but it’s just not the same in my opinion.
How many of us really enjoy listening to our cars just sit and idle at a stop light? JMO.

First of all, I thought they already stopped making it!?

Secondly, why not make the Hellcat and the new EV version and let the consumer decide?
Sure there is a lot of power to be had from an EV, but it’s just not the same in my opinion.
How many of us really enjoy listening to our cars just sit and idle at a stop light? JMO.
Yep;
I said it in the other thread
the all of the above approaches, let the consumer decide
why does it have to be all EV, kill the IC engine or
kill off the performance Hemi's or Hellcats etc.

Guess I won’t worry about the demise of gasoline motors at my age growing up in an era when the sound of a V-8 engine was absolute, deep to the soul, music….that’s noise to others. I’d guess ‘sounds’ can be recreated to simulate the sound with an electric motor for those wanting it. I put baseball cards attached with clothes pins on my banana seat bike in the 60’s. I’m ancient enough to ponder on how many years I’ll have with my ’63 after so-so many years restoring it: Demise of gasoline motors or me first? Crapshoot now..

At least we had the cars for awhile - and still will for a couple more years. Think of all the tens of thousands of hemi Challengers and Chargers out there, plus the trucks and Jeeps - way more than the 426 Hemi ever sold. For that matter, more supercharged hellcats were built than the 426 as well. And although the end is in the plans, it isn't here yet. Anyone who really wants one can still order and buy one, and for those who complain but don't buy, well...Chrysler isn't making money off those people anyway.

The article doesn't say that all V8 production ends after 2023 so the other versions will likely continue.

Guess I won’t worry about the demise of gasoline motors at my age growing up in an era when the sound of a V-8 engine was absolute, deep to the soul, music….that’s noise to others. I’d guess ‘sounds’ can be recreated to simulate the sound with an electric motor for those wanting it. I put baseball cards attached with clothes pins on my banana seat bike in the 60’s. I’m ancient enough to ponder on how many years I’ll have with my ’63 after so-so many years restoring it: Demise of gasoline motors or me first? Crapshoot now..
Ron, I am with You, 100 %.
6 yrs into My '63, and I may not Ever Drive It. I've mentioned it, to Many Friends.
Sometimes, I'm thinking "Vanishing Point"......

Perhaps they are developing something “better”?!?!?!

The demise of hot new cars dont surprise me with the climate change looming so close.

Last edited:
Charger and Challenger (as we know them) are going by the wayside as per this article.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/22/22797134/dodge-challenger-charger-phase-out-production-2024

Dodge will phase out gas-powered Charger and Challenger in 2024 to make way for EVs
The company’s first electric concept will be revealed in 2022

Dodge will cease production of its gas-powered Charger sedan and Challenger coupe in 2024 in order to make way for the automaker’s first electric vehicles.

Dodge Brand CEO Tim Kuniskis shed some new light on the timeline in an interview this week with Motor Trend. The company will roll out its first electric muscle concept car in 2022, followed by a plug-in hybrid vehicle and a mysterious third vehicle.

Dodge had previously announced its intention to produce its first EV in 2024 during a July event covering electric vehicle strategy by the automaker’s parent company, Stellantis. During the event, Kuniskis proclaimed that Dodge would not “sell electric cars — it will sell eMuscle,” which is apparently Dodge branding for its future EVs. The first eMuscle cars will go into production in 2024.

At the time, Kuniskis didn’t reveal the fate of the company’s internal combustion engine vehicles. Now we know that they will be phased out as the company shifts resources over to EV production. “These cars that you know today will go out of production by the time we get to 2024,” Kuniskis told Motor Trend.

Dodge’s future EVs will sport the Fratzog logo that was initially used by the company in the 1960s and 70s. It features a split deltoid made of three arrowhead shapes that form a three-pointed star. The new version is designed to be three-dimensional and includes LED lighting.

In addition to electric versions of Charger and Challenger vehicles, Dodge also plans on producing electric trucks, including a battery-powered Ram 1500 that would compete with Ford’s upcoming F-150 Lightning. Dodge’s sister companies, like Jeep, Chrysler, and brands from the PSA Groupe, are also producing EVs.

It remains unclear how muscle car fans will react to the news that their beloved Hemi engines aren’t long for this world. EVs are no slouches when it comes to acceleration, with many electric sports cars boasting of quicker 0–60 times than most gas equivalents. Where they do differentiate, though, is the sound — or rather the absence of sound — as they accelerate.

Why in tarnation would they try to kill off their biggest cash cows in this country (and maybe even within
the entire company)?
tarnation (2017_10_11 10_04_54 UTC).jpg

Ron, I am with You, 100 %.
6 yrs into My '63, and I may not Ever Drive It. I've mentioned it, to Many Friends.
Sometimes, I'm thinking "Vanishing Point"......
Don’t do the Kowalski thing pard. A Camaro was used for the end dozer hit, lol. I’m 67 and enjoyed catching the last few years of the ‘era’ when our classic rides were daily transportation. Priceless memories burned in my head. My kids? Zero interest, granted daughters; then my brother’s sons…zero interest despite my elder brother’s more span during the era. Nope, he could tear a motor down and rebuild it no hassle…his boys? Just not there, one owning a hybrid and other a rice grinder. Old rides mean squat to them. All the tools…they don’t want them. And all the endless tools I have, some inherited from my dad? All this stuff will be dumped when I’m gone including my Plymouth, if I don’t decide to sell it before I’m able. My plan is to sell it at some point while still able. Who knows? Five years…10 probably is the outermost stretch, IMO.

A good number of us older cars guys…are…ahh...old. I envy those who have offspring or others who cherish their cars to hand down. My guess is we have about decade before the chit hits the fan. As it has been where I live, I’m lucky to drive my car 1200 miles a year…too many other projects taking up ride time I give priority to. This is my fault and should adjust the priority since the years restoring still greatly exceeds just friggin driving it! IMO, don’t waste any time, if you can, getting your ride on the road pard...the times are a changnin...

a lot of $$ riding on clean energy now.

The Green New Deal Windmills . . . :

Right now, the average wind farm is about 150 turbines. Each wind turbine needs 80 gallons of oil as lubricant and we're not talking about vegetable oil, this is a PAO synthetic oil based on crude... 12,000 gallons of it. That oil needs to be replaced once a year.

It is estimated that a little over 3,800 turbines would be needed to power a city the size of New York... that's 304,000 gallons of refined oil for just one city.

Now you have to calculate every city across the nation, large and small, to find the grand total of yearly oil consumption from "clean" energy.

Where do you think all that oil is going to come from?

The large equipment needed to build these wind farms run on petroleum - as well as the equipment required for installation, service, maintenance, and eventual removal.

How cost-effective are these eyesores when we often see many of them sitting idle or out of service? Most of the commercial-scale turbines installed today are 2 MW in size and cost roughly $3-$4 million installed.

And just exactly how eco-friendly is wind energy anyway?

Each turbine requires a footprint of 1.5 acres, so a wind farm of 150 turbines needs 225 acres. In order to power NYC you'd need 57,000 acres; and who knows the astronomical amount of land you would need to power the entire US?!

All of which would have to be clear-cut land because trees create a barrier & turbulence that interferes with the 20mph sustained wind velocity necessary for the turbine to work properly (also keep in mind that not all states are suitable for such sustained winds).

But let's destroy the planet's most natural process of reducing carbon dioxide and producing oxygen to make way for turbines!

And what about disposal?

The lifespan of a modern, top quality, highly efficient wind turbine is 20 years.

What happens to those gigantic fiber composite blades?

They cannot economically be reused, refurbished, reduced, repurposed, or recycled so....it's off to special landfills they go.

They're already running out of these special landfill spaces for the blades that have already exceeded their usefulness. Those blades are anywhere from 120 ft. to over 200 ft. long and there are 3 per turbine. And that's with only 7% of the nation currently being supplied with wind energy.

Just imagine if we had the other 93% of the nation on the wind grid... 20 years from now you'd have all those unusable blades with no place to put them... Then 20 years after that, and 20 years after that, and so on.

500,000 birds are killed each year from wind turbine blade collisions; most of which are endangered hawks, falcons, owls, geese, ducks, and eagles.

Apparently smaller birds are more agile and able to dart and dodge out of the way of the spinning blades, whereas the larger soaring birds aren't so lucky.

Here's another little problem with windmills, etc.

The generator and switching equipment operate at high power and voltage. Everything in the windmill nacelle is compact due to limited space, so there's danger of arcs and electrical fires. This is prevented by putting all the electrical equipment in a pressure vessel filled with sulfur hexafluoride, a synthetic gas that has dielectric properties that suppress arcs and fires.

Problem is, windmills leak this gas, something around a pound each per year. SF6 has an atmospheric lifetime of 3,200 years and is 22,800 times more effective as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

And what about solar panels which typically have a longer useful life, but they have a waste management issue as well. Solar panels are complicated to recycle as they’re made of many materials, some hazardous, and assembled with adhesives and sealants that make breaking them apart challenging. So the glass and metal photovoltaic modules will start adding up to millions, and then tens of millions of metric tons of material in the near future.

AND with the mandate of electric vehicles there will be millions of batteries with an estimated useful life of 1500 to 2000 charge cycles or about 100,000 miles. Recycling these batteries can be a hazardous business as their cells can release problematic toxins, including heavy metals.

In the Green New Deal scheme of things there is no feasible disposal plan for all of this 'Green New' waste. The 'real deal' is that we're being dealt a bad hand.

Auto Transport Service
Back