• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Forgotten World Of Bias Ply

This thread is full of opinion, lack of experience, and faded memory :popcorn2:

That said, I'll add mine!
The difference between using mismatched used tires to a matched set is huge. The difference in old tech (even radials like BFG's) and a modern performance tire in a 17/18" diameter is even bigger.
Put a set on your car and try it.

when you put 18 inch wheels on the front of an old mopar you might as well scrap the whole suspension and put something else in your way out of the engineered specs

I have to disagree with post #23. I switched my car from P225/60R15 tires on the front to P245/40R18. The overall diameter of the tire went from 25.6" to 25.7" and the tire width increased by 1". Since the new wheels kept the same offset as the previous ones, the front end geometry didn't change. I did notice that the ride got harsher (less sidewall flex, which is a good thing for handling), and the car sticks to the road much better now. Cheers!

The original post number 1 uses the article by a youngster who has no real world experience in this topic and numerous errors in his article as the "expert". He Just regurgitates others opinions," memories" as facts. Take it for what it is. I was there. I was in that business for almost 40 years and most comments about old tires being so good are from Faded memories, retold stories and the experience of a few tires. Not 10's or even 100's of thousands of tires over a 4 decade period of time.
Use common sense and accept the consequences of your own decisions. No conspiracy of the tire/rubber companies going on.
Pure Rubber makes good erasers and poor tires, just like tires make poor erasers. Different compounds alter the materials characteristics. It is all different for different applications. I just can't believe after reading that article how naive and uninformed that kid writer is. From Boston hmmm..

Ya weren't thinking of this set of wheels were you?
upload_2021-2-4_12-42-32.png

good example just about as close with your caster , camber and steering axis inclination running 18's with what backspace

The original post number 1 uses the article by a youngster who has no real world experience in this topic and numerous errors in his article as the "expert". He Just regurgitates others opinions," memories" as facts. Take it for what it is. I was there. I was in that business for almost 40 years and most comments about old tires being so good are from Faded memories, retold stories and the experience of a few tires. Not 10's or even 100's of thousands of tires over a 4 decade period of time.
Use common sense and accept the consequences of your own decisions. No conspiracy of the tire/rubber companies going on.
Pure Rubber makes good erasers and poor tires, just like tires make poor erasers. Different compounds alter the materials characteristics. It is all different for different applications. I just can't believe after reading that article how naive and uninformed that kid writer is. From Boston hmmm..
Speaking old memories, always remember'Atlas plycrons' being the best "sticky" tires out there. Couldn't get even a years worth of mileage though! ( Sohio gas stations?)

when you put 18 inch wheels on the front of an old mopar you might as well scrap the whole suspension and put something else in your way out of the engineered specs
Think so?
Folsom 11.JPG
Folsom 12.JPG

Antiquated thinking like yours will keep you in the 1970s in terms of ride and performance. My alignment is closer to a modern car than a stock 1970 model.

Last edited:
sticky compound on the front what are we all wheel drive now you still don't know what your alignment specs are you could do better on your little timed track if you figured that out , we obviously have different tastes in what our vehicles are used for I sense a little insecurity in your pushiness just enjoy your car that's what they are for

The only issues I've heard about is stress causing damage are with wheels that have radically reduced backspacing such as some that put huge tires on pickups that jut way out beyond the wells...least that's what a bud said that was a truck mechanic.

Antiquated thinking like yours will keep you in the 1970s in terms of ride and performance. My alignment is closer to a modern car than a stock 1970 model.

If I want a prefectly handling car: Just buy a brand x modern Hi tech 2021 sports car.
I drive vintage mopars and I do want them to drive like back in the day.
Otherwise I would drive modern crap

Carsten

Actually the " Atlas" tire was the number one sold tire brand in the US for many years. Sold mainly through Standard Oil service stations nation wide.

sticky compound on the front what are we all wheel drive now you still don't know what your alignment specs are you could do better on your little timed track if you figured that out , we obviously have different tastes in what our vehicles are used for I sense a little insecurity in your pushiness just enjoy your car that's what they are for
The above is gibberish. I refuse to deal with this nonsense.
IGNORE.

If I want a prefectly handling car: Just buy a brand x modern Hi tech 2021 sports car.
I drive vintage mopars and I do want them to drive like back in the day.
Otherwise I would drive modern crap

Carsten
Exactly, I have 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 Chrysler SRT8, both with about 9000 miles, but what do I do when I want to go for a fun ride? I get into one of my old 60's muscle cars and enjoy myself. Maybe they are not as fast as the new stuff, but a lot more fun and many thumbs up. You stop somewhere and everyone wants to look and talk. Best you get out of a newer one is something like nice car. Oh, and I have to replace the tires to be safe.

Before I finally got my own set of wheels, I was fortunate to drive my mother’s car most of the time as she carpooled to work. At that time I was 16 and it was a ’66 T-Bird. My dad had a nice set of tires put on it, I want say Michelin’s or similar…not recalling right off, non-radials then. Wore those clean out in six months. My dad was peeved thinking crap tires. I’m just glad he didn’t ask me about my driving habits being young & dumb, as I drove that poor Bird pretty hard…but like an old lady going to church when my folks were along.

Before I finally got my own set of wheels, I was fortunate to drive my mother’s car most of the time as she carpooled to work. At that time I was 16 and it was a ’66 T-Bird. My dad had a nice set of tires put on it, I want say Michelin’s or similar…not recalling right off, non-radials then. Wore those clean out in six months. My dad was peeved thinking crap tires. I’m just glad he didn’t ask me about my driving habits being young & dumb, as I drove that poor Bird pretty hard…but like an old lady going to church when my folks were along.
:), we are all guilty of that.

I didn't aim for a perfect handling car. I set out to improve on the stock setup. Mission accomplished.

Auto Transport Service
Back