• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Jerk In Front Of You Going Speed Limit

I realize that this thread is based on humor and a stretch of the truth but....
There are many roads that I have driven that have speed limits well below what is safe and sensible.
Oregon is full of 55 mph roads that are wide open and straight, hardly anyone on them. Who the hell has the patience to drive that damn slow?
Here is CA, it is the same. I live near a road with a 45 mph limit that begs of 60+ due to excellent sight lines and little traffic.
This state also has a 55 mph max while towing law. Yeah.... that makes sense in the rain, on curves, narrow roadways, traffic but bright light in the day, straight lanes with wide open shoulders?
Pfffft.

Last edited:
reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad before he passed some years ago. We were driving on I95 in Virginia where he lived. He was riding some guys *** and I said " dad why don't you back off a little " his response " this guy is holding me up"
Me" whats the hurry"
Him " he is to slow"
Me dad " you're retired take it easy"
Him " but he is holding me up"
About that time I looked at the speedo...
We were clocking about 90
I chuckle about this now

In the early 90’s visited Sausalito after a week-long meeting in Frisco. Had a rental. Back then there were no yield to pedestrian crosswalks around here mid-street or unless at lighted intersections. Wow in CA gathered that people just strolled into the crosswalk like they were superior with cars slamming on their brakes to stop. Came up on a walk, driving slow, maybe 15mph, and this couple with their kid in a stroller just walked out and was damn near on top of them already. Hit the brakes and stopped in plenty of time. But the dude, huge black guy, started cursing me out, MF this and MF that, now standing next to my window keeping up with the MF's. Said yeah, my apologies…wasn’t good enough as he started drawing a crowd with his screaming. In the group was a cop who started to walk over. That was enough for the dipshit and he took off in a hurry. WTF - ROW or no, just waltz out in traffic with your kid in front in a stroller? Well MF hey...

Speaking of Frisco, I was there in the mid seventies, walking down a street and I went to cross and cars on both lanes stopped. I couldn't figure out why they did it. When I returned to my friends place he stated it was the law. Heck I was just a farm boy from the east and knew not to cross a street without looking both ways and crossing when the coast was clear. My first taste of California and their laws.

It was cool watching a half a dozen Chevy Low Riders going down the street taking turns slamming them on the road, sparks flying from underneath from the magnesium blocks.

What’s that now? Follow me…in Chi-town? Lol, follow them to the nearest alley and get shot? Ain’t gonna follow nobody in Chicago.
Oh I agree 100%, it’s the suburbs that want you to be the “goodie two shoes”.

Gallagher the comedian said that all cars should be equipped with those suction dart guns with bright colored tags that read Stupid! If the Police saw a car with more than 6 darts stuck to it, the driver would be pulled over and ticketed for driving stupid.

Sign said 35MPH.... Cop pulled me over for doing 70.... I told him it was fine, I wasn't gonna be driving for a whole hour, only half...

keep-right-unless-to-pass-sign.jpg

slower-traffic-keep-right.jpg

The USA drivers seem to have the most problems with adhering to what is actually the law
in most states...but if they did, life on the highways would be a lot less dangerous and stressful.

In my area, whenever I run across a car lollygagging in the left lane, 8 out of 10 times, it's a "person of color".

View attachment 1486487
View attachment 1486488
The USA drivers seem to have the most problems with adhering to what is actually the law
in most states...but if they did, life on the highways would be a lot less dangerous and stressful.
Problem is people like my mom. "it's the speed limit, and I'm going fast enough for anyone else..." I ask her if she now has a badge, and is responsible for issuing speeding tickets...she huffs at me and changes the subject.

reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad
Funny! My dad was always a calm-patient sort, rarely saw him get overly pissed. BUT when he was behind the wheel he was in a hurry. Always had to have big-motors. Used to be a thrill driving to his folks 250 miles away back when there were fewer 4-lane highways. One time in his ’63 GP tri-power, he passed some 4 cars while I watched how much time I thought he had before getting back in his lane. Time was running short when he opened up the carbs. My poor mother would get peeved at him sometimes.

Later when he would ride with me, it was “Why don’t you pass those cars? Or, good job when I would.” When I drove my Challenger to FL to a friend of my dad’s (he had flown there for a golf vacation) we drove back taking turns driving straight through. This was when the speed limit was 55. I’d push it up to just under 65. I had enough tickets staying cautious. When he drove, he’d do 70-75. We’d switch driving when getting gas. Frequent in that ride. Along the way he thought it should be gas time. I said you’re burning a lot more gas than I am. Had the air shocks well inflated with all the chit in the car and to keep wheel-well clearance with the wide 60’s on it. Amazing how much more fuel was burned when he was driving, lol.

You notice those signs don’t have a little sign under them that reads- unless you’re doing speed limit.
Correct - those requirements are totally independent of speed, whether legal limit or not.

Problem is people like my mom. "it's the speed limit, and I'm going fast enough for anyone else..." I ask her if she now has a badge, and is responsible for issuing speeding tickets...she huffs at me and changes the subject.
Might want to remind her also that speed in and of itself doesn't kill - it's speed differential that causes most
of the havoc out there, hence why most of the developed world adheres to "yield to right" for overtaking traffic -
it is the most efficient way to maintain flow and minimize differential speeds within individual lanes.

most drivers are all ********, usually going to fast
or doing something stupid, fast is the least of it
Instant asshole just add a windshield...

so glad I don't live 75-100 miles from any freeway

It's like a Jekyll & Hyde syndrome...

always some jerk thinks it's their rights or their road
when it's everyones

the worst are people on their phones or people eating while driving

I drive comfortably fast, for wherever I'm at
when I'm in a rural area I probably drive faster
But, when in a neighborhood I slow down, maybe 30-35 max
kids can pop out anywhere/anytime

Two words-

Situational awareness.

Auto Transport Service