• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The LIST" and tomorrow is day 1 of checking off a LOT of boxes on my 70 Roadrunner

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I've had my real V-code, non #s matching, 440 six bbl with 6bbl rods, crank, and pistons 70 Roadrunner for about 6 years now, and on the test drive at Fast Lane Auto in St. Charles, Missouri I knew that she was going to need some love. They had worked out a deal with me over the phone since I'm in South Louisiana, it was an "internet purchase". I actually didn't think I would be able to buy it, because they were $12K over my $40K budget with their asking price, and I didn't think that we would be able to meet at a number I could reach, but we did. I brought a check from my finance bank, and they knew a friend and I were doing a "turn and burn" weekend trip to get there, check it out, load it up, and roll back south. It's an 11 hour ride one way!
Well the first problem was when I got in it and my buddy got in on the passenger side, I went to roll up the window and it was off the track, down in the door.
:wtf: :mad:
I lifted the trunk houndstooth plastic cover and could see body filler on the trunk floor, a chunk was loose, so I knew a trunk floor pan was coming, one day (still not yet, but when I mini tub it, that is a good time) The front grill is a little off, and that is related to an issue with the passenger fender.
The problem for me was it's a REAL V-code, it's Lemon Twist and black (my absolute favorite! ) and it was parked where there was a 4 ft vertical concrete wall behind it, and when I started it, the exhaust symphony of the 3" pipes, Flowmasters, and 292°/.509 cam was so very seductive, I drove there to get it, and I wasn't leaving without it. I had been looking for some time...
On the test drive the outboard carbs didn't open, it pulled to the right, the brakes (4 wheel drum) made it worse, but still, I had to have it!
I described all of the problems, and they gave me an additional small discount, and that really was all I needed to justify dealing with what I knew were going to be some problems, problems that would cost time and money.
I did a lot of work on it myself, and made a lot of headway in doing so. One of the best things was getting the outboard carbs opening properly. WOW! what a RUSH! I even won some "Top XX" trophies and places, and I was happy to have it, but "The LIST" started the day "we met" and in some way or another it may never end.
The real point of my post is there came an opportunity at the 2019 October Cruisin The Coast week long event where my wife and her nice 65 GTO 421 Tripower car and my Roadrunner were going to get a LOT of the parts and systems that we had put in a loose order of importance, and as the budget would allow, we were in a unique position to make the absolute BEST DEAL on those items, EVER, so because we were in a position to afford the 10 grand in purchases, on probably $14K worth of parts and systems, and SHE said so, BAM! Between only 2 dealers, we put a line through the majority of things on "The LIST" that we had for each car, even though the GTO has already had quite a few things done, there were some important things taken care of that day, and I was about to "catch up".
So my Roadrunner already has the Passon Performance a855 5 speed, and it's running nicely, so while the GTO has had a performance rebuild, I have a stroker in the works, but that's going to be a while.
Starting tomorrow, here's what my Roadrunner is getting installed:
Complete QA1 front suspension system and K-Member, with SPC UCAs as the only non-QA1 component. WRAPTOR serpentine belt and accessory system, which is adding power steering and an A/C compressor, so I'm also having Vintage Air A/C system installed, and a Borgeson power steering box. Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes and master cylinder, with SIX PISTON calipers on all 4 wheels, line lock. Dakota Digital gauges, and a HitMaster launch control system. Hydraulic throwout bearing setup (the launch control requires that). Out back I'm getting Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders, and Assassin traction bars, and Viking double adjustable rear shocks (already have Viking DA shocks on the front).
Cold Case aluminum radiator.
Once I get it back, it's going to:
Steer straight (and easier to parallel park)
Drive cool, me and the water temp, both!
Launch hard, instead of a smoke show
Stop fast and smooth
Tell me a lot more about what is going on and look great doing it with the Dakota gauges.
Look even better than it does now...
So there ya go, lots of checked off boxes! Some will help harness the power I have now, and in the future, some will add a LOT of improved driving performance and safety, some will GREATLY enhance the driving experience (man it is HOT in the south during the busiest part of cruising, racing, and at the "Show and Shines") some will build on what I've already done, and some will lay a solid foundation for the few (but major) things I still have planned, like the aluminum 540 build.
Thanks for reading my long post. Pictures and comments to follow over the next month or so.
20191019_191029.jpg
20191124_133031.jpg

That's quite a list, and I'm happy for you and your car. I hope to follow that list myself someday!

Awesome stuff. 1970 RR has always been my favorite, in that color combo as well.

Well at this point I'm not surprised, but I'm not mad...
It rained bad here this morning, and my wife has decided to get some of the work on her GTO done by a guy who a great local shop referred us to, so I'm her ride back home, and the shop I'm bringing my car to "needs time to make room inside" for my car so it won't have to be moved around or put outside.
I have all day jobs scheduled through Monday (I'm very HAPPY to say) so now Tuesday is the day I drive an hour+ to bring my car to the shop.
That's another reason why Carlisle isn't going to happen this year for me. I don't want to go without my car although HEMI-ITIS suggested that, I can see the advantage in being free to look around, BUT I know me, and I'd be really aggravated to go and not have my car, and from my wife's perspective, it would "count" as a "car show trip" and I'd rather use those "tickets" for a show I can bring my car to.
It's going to be NICE though when I bring it next year, God willing.

Auto Transport Service
Back