• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rake look

Wouldnt surprize me. It was popular to shackle up a car at that time just to fit L 50 tires under the back and have the nose touching the ground with undersized rims and tires. Zoomies out the side or sidepipes. Carpeted interiors. Alot of aftermarket hood scoops.

Back in the day we used longer shackles; everybody had them. Only way to get 50 series tires under some cars without cutting the car.
BTW that ‘bird in post #17 has the perfect stance. Over restored trailer and garage queens are nice and all, but if you’re going for the street fighter day two look that is an awesome car.

70s street machine.jpg
air.jpg

70 gtx.jpg

espo springs will make you +2 leafs,I wanted more height on my challenger.

Take a look at the STOCK AAR Cuda, it had a slight rake from two different tires sizes, E and G x 60 x 15. Like aid, add a rear spring,or go to SS springs, air shocks are chit.

Back in the day - we ran an L60 on a 15" rim in the back and a G60 on a 14" in the front. That gave a nice rake without messing with long shackles which can collapse on cornering. We'd also drop the front by slacking off the torsion bars. being from that part of Canada, if we saw a car jacked with shackles we usually figured it was a French guy.

Getting your leaf springs re-arched and add a new leaf will definitely add the height you want. I did that and had to add lowering blocks because I only wanted a slight rake.

Take a look at the STOCK AAR Cuda, it had a slight rake from two different tires sizes, E and G x 60 x 15. Like aid, add a rear spring,or go to SS springs, air shocks are chit.
Challenger T/A as well. Same suspensions under both.

Back in the day - we ran an L60 on a 15" rim in the back and a G60 on a 14" in the front. That gave a nice rake without messing with long shackles which can collapse on cornering. We'd also drop the front by slacking off the torsion bars. being from that part of Canada, if we saw a car jacked with shackles we usually figured it was a French guy.
Amen. I have always, my entire life, hated those Mickey Mouse long shackle extensions.
Seen some of 'em fail, too, which is hilarious.

Too much rake can be hard on your front suspension.
Yeah, the weight balance ain't great on these cars to begin with and nose down just makes it harder on 'em
(harder on you to drive them, too).

Nowadays up here they have a ride height restriction. The RCs up here from time to time will try to pull there weight on the rules.

It was like that in the ‘70’s in Alberta, as well. It’s just that the jacked up look fell out of fashion so they haven’t had to enforce it for a long time. Then the testosterone truck became fashionable with the Deliverance crowd and they had to start enforcing again.

Get some superstock springs, extended shackles and some high jackers. Don’t forget the plaid bell bottoms and frayed denim jacket!

I had done a few things over the years on my old GTO, Challenger and '63 Plymouth. I used air shocks on the GTO and Dodge when I ran '60's on it; but always the irritating harsh ride. Remember a little rear-end drift on the goat on curves on the freeway. Installed HD leafs on the Ply and didn't quite get the rake I wanted and you also can start thinking about what height you want the front to be as posted. Wasn't a fan of long shackles as they get conspicuous. So machined a set of shackles that allowed a 2" increase since I wasn't looking for that much rake anyway. It suited what I was looking for - just a slight rake.

Plymouth WOW Pic1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back