• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Red Sled

halfafish

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Howdy all. I'm a moderately involved member on FABO, mostly an early A and slant guy. I've been a member here for a while but haven't been much involved with the B's. However, it looks like I'll be hanging out with the B-body long roof crowd, as I just got home with this beauty yesterday.

DSCN1796.JPG

I've been keeping a half an eye out for a 68-to-76-ish wagon. I started in the land-yacht department on FCBO but couldn't get the timing right for a couple of sweet Town and Country wagons. One 69 T&C that was local to me slipped through my fingers due to dithering on my part. Curses, Batman! Then I got interested in a 70 Coronet wagon in AZ but the owner didn't want me doing a detailed inspection on the car. Red flag duly noted sir, you can sell your car to someone else!

While farting around on Craigslist one Sunday morning I went snooping for wagons in cities up to 500 miles away and saw this 72 Coronet wagon listed on Spokane's CL but located in Kalispell, about 600 miles away. It was ridiculously overpriced at $19K so I took a good look at it and moved along.

Fast forward a month or so, and the price has been reduced significantly. Aha says I, that's more like it. I contact the owner for details and now I'm interested for sure. After a month's worth of back-and-forth, planning, and emails/photos, I made the trip up there this week with truck and trailer to inspect it. Inspection passed, car loaded, and road trip back home! It's a very clean, all original, unrestored, unmolested survivor. More photos you say? OK, here are a few...

DSCN1787.JPG

DSCN1788.JPG

DSCN1789.JPG

DSCN1790.JPG

DSCN1792.JPG

DSCN1793.JPG

DSCN1794.JPG

DSCN1795.JPG

A few details. It's a plain-jane 318 2-bbl with a 904 that moves along much better than I expected, especially with 2.94 gears. I want this for a cruiser so that combo doesn't hurt mu feelings any. Other than a recovered front seat the interior is all original and just about flawless. It has a 741 8.75 open rear end, 3-speed wipers, an AM radio that works well, power brakes with front discs, sway bar, power steering, no A/C, and virtually no rust. I went under the entire car and had some help from a pro paint-and-body guy and only found a few spots on the inner rear fenders that were rusty. Otherwise it's super solid. The road test had it going straight down the lane both under power and while braking. I think it's a nice balance between small car and huge car. It's a great size and super smooth to drive.

It does need some stuff done. The engine will need rebuilt on a sooner rather than later basis. Compression in six holes was 110-120, but the last two were only 80 and 90 PSI. It's oozing/leaking from both main seals. It's running pretty rich and the carb is showing ooze around the upper gaskets. There is some old body work to correct, as both driver doors were replaced and the color is off a bit. The left quarter has some bondo on the lower edge that's starting to fritz out. The gas gauge doesn't work, the washer pump doesn't work, and so forth with a bunch of small stuff.

The tires look excellent with lots of tread, no age cracks showing but they are 14 years old. The car was barely driven and stored inside heated shops for those 14 years, but still..........I see new tires in my near future.

Overall I'm super happy with this new addition to my Mopar stable (this is number nine). While it certainly needs work to get up to snuff, it has excellent bones. There will be more details as I get started fixing it up.

Congrats on the new long roof!

I've been running a tired old 440 for over a decade with compression worse than what your 318 is showing. I've put 20K miles on it with no issues. Sure it gums up the plugs from time to time and burns a bit of oil but it always starts and runs great.

Interesting colour combo...was it an ex-fire chief car or something? Think a nice set of black 15" steel rims with raised white letter tires and some dog dish caps would suit the car and give it a bit of a muscle car look.

Congrats on the new long roof!

I've been running a tired old 440 for over a decade with compression worse than what your 318 is showing. I've put 20K miles on it with no issues. Sure it gums up the plugs from time to time and burns a bit of oil but it always starts and runs great.

Interesting colour combo...was it an ex-fire chief car or something? Think a nice set of black 15" steel rims with raised white letter tires and some dog dish caps would suit the car and give it a bit of a muscle car look.

Yeah, the plugs on this one are showing rich, but that could just be the carb and timing. I'll know more when I give it a tune-up and carb rebuild.

Not sure of the history, it was sold in Butte MT then who knows what for 35 years. The last 15 years it was in Kalispell so I think it's reasonable to assume it was a MT car all along. The colors are factory and match the fender tag. It's really more of an orangey-red than fire engine red.

I'm debating what to do for wheels/tires. I'd like some wider tires to fill up the wheel wells better. The rear wells have tons of room, I'll have to do some research to see what would fit up front. I'm not looking for maximum width, just better than the 225/75-15's on there now. All my other Mopars are steelies and dog dishes, I think I'll do something different this time around. Maybe some grey Torque Thrusts?

Nice score. I'm wanting to replace my 04 Cummins dually with a long roof of 63-70 range. Was that 70 Coronet the white/yellow one with the 3 on the tree?

Yup. I thought I had a deal going until the owner refused to let me do a detailed inspection on it. Deal killer for me.

:thumbsup:

Nice looking wagon, congrats on the great find.
Ron

Damn that thing is amazingly clean and stock... I would probably just fix gaskets and leaks and drive it if it's moving decent and no smoke.. but i'm cheap :)

Damn that thing is amazingly clean and stock... I would probably just fix gaskets and leaks and drive it if it's moving decent and no smoke.. but i'm cheap :)
That's the plan. Tires, tuneup, fluids belts hoses, and drive it.

I got to thinking (yes, dangerous territory for me...) about tires. I have some 15" steelies I was going to use on the Dart, but the Dart is waiting its turn in the shop. I needed tires now, so I stole them for the wagon. I think it looks WAY better, and it will be safer too with new tires. 255/60-15 rear, 215/65-15 front. There's still tons of room in the rear but I think this is pretty close to the width I had envisioned.

20230617_150835[1].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back