• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Satellite is gone!

t.flatt

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
So, there was a '70 Satellite at my local salvage yard I have been picking away at. At first, I could get parts off it, then it was off limits. Lately, I was able to get parts off it again. I went out there today to get the vent windows and it was gone! The lady working said they brought in some cars, and took some out to go the crusher yesterday! The stainless trim for the windshield and rear window was in great shape, still had the Plymouth letters in the rear...
Lots of good stuff! Over all, a sad story. Oh well, at least the K-frame, master cylinder and various pieces of original hardware will be going on my GTX!

That hurts when they send the vintage cars to the crusher. Some years ago there was a scrap yard that I had been getting parts from and the owner wouldn't sell any of the partially stripped cars whole. About two months had past since I had been by and I found that 2/3rd of the cars were gone to an onsite crusher. I quickly stopped in and was only able to save 4 A bodies from the crusher. It averaged $350 per car to save them. It was a shame that all the heavier B &C bodies were already crushed.

Too bad at least some of it will live on...

older 50-60-70's cars in Junkyards/wrecking yards
are getting to be as rare as hens teeth
& priced like rusty gold, if it's in a specialty yard

took this pic at swap meet couple weeks
20220501_083511.jpg
ago. he is still in business. in illinois, close to st louis, mo

That hurts when they send the vintage cars to the crusher. Some years ago there was a scrap yard that I had been getting parts from and the owner wouldn't sell any of the partially stripped cars whole. About two months had past since I had been by and I found that 2/3rd of the cars were gone to an onsite crusher. I quickly stopped in and was only able to save 4 A bodies from the crusher. It averaged $350 per car to save them. It was a shame that all the heavier B &C bodies were already crushed.
Nice job saving some of them! The really sad part is that there is A LOT of open space at this yard. The owner is an a- hole, though. When I asked about the k-frame he said $200. When I went to get it a couple weeks later he said $400! I reminded him he told me $200. He came back with "there's been a real big interest in those lately and I realized I'm underpriced." What a jerk!!!

Yeah they are. The

Yeah, they are. The K-frame is really nice. Just need to weld a skid plate on!

There was a yard owner and the places closed at 5pm. it was Friday at 4:30 he told everyone to get out “I have a doctors appointment”. I asked, doctors schedule appointed for 5pm on Friday? He got this odd, guilty look on his face. LOL

He always crushed perfectly good old cars. Says they just took up space. I told him you have plenty of bare ground to put it on. The place was never full. Odd dude. Good thing he sold his yard and retired, not a good owner of classic cars.

Similar story, but about 15yrs back. Found 70 Coronet 383 AC PDB console auto car in very old, off the grid boneyard. Coronet was pretty much all there, including a 6way and what appeared to be the original spare. Yard was in the middle of a ghetto (I was just driving through - carefully), so not on the usual mopar parts collector routes. Told owner I was restoring a couple similar cars and would probably need bunch of parts. Not a pickapart, so owner said give him a list. I did, several pages long. He looked at it and said...OK, go ahead, just bring the parts to the counter. Picked that car for several months until yard closed, they didn't get much business because of location. Assume everything went to crusher.

2 old yards few miles from me.
Both have lots of 50s /60s/ 70s cars and trucks.
One , the owner died and left it to the nephew . He does not want to work and is crushing everything.
The other yard the owner is in a care facility and his family has just shut the doors. They at least are not crushing.

My suggestion:
If the car has a couple hundred or more worth of parts that you need, then consider buying the whole thing and dragging it home or somewhere.
I know everyone can't do that but if you can find a way you'll be better off.

Auto Transport Service
Back