• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad replacement suggestions

A classic example of over carburating a small displacement engine giving up crisp throttle response for the potential of peak RPM/HP. But where is the engine/car going to operate 90% of the time?...not at WOT but at mid rpm. Another consideration is what cam us used, rear gear, trans, compression ratio. Too many variables to say an 800 CFM carb is the best solution.....but to each his own volition.....
BOB RENTON
100% true. This is also why this is also a flexible truth.
Again, how well you tune your carb and ignition curve is the leading factor in drivability. The best thing for anyone (more flexible truth) is the driving feel and what one considers a good crisp pedal feel and response. Never mind top end power.

If it is tuned to perfection and the throttle feels spongy, yea that’s probably to big for the rest of the package. Cam converter gear tire size etc….

It comes down to the right number of properly distributed fuel molecules to combine with those oxygen atoms.
True. But the oxygen is the defining factor of how much power is available, with said correct amount of fuel.

To the OP. If you’re not going to change the intake manifold, put a spreadbore carb back on.

Quadrajet is great till halfway through 2nd gear when it runs out of gasoline. The float bowl is so small a strong 350 can drain it.

The guys running wheels-up Camaros in SS/IA seem to be make do some how.

A working fuel pump would fix that problem.
Better make sure you have no restrictions in the lines and in and out on the pump and it might keep up.
Just saying that's their flaw is they only hold about 3 ounces of gasoline.
My Thermoquad does not run out of gas at 130+ and has stock fuel pump.

True. But the oxygen is the defining factor of how much power is available, with said correct amount of fuel.
Beside oxygen (O2) which is only ~ 18.5% of the "air" being consumed (the balance is ~ 79.5% nitrogen with a trace amount of CO, CO2, etc) the other factors to consider are: temperature, barometric pressure (combined as density) combined to form the stoiciometeric air-fuel mix.....which is usually slightly rich to insure ignitabibity rather than a few percent of "excess air" for complete combustion. But mixture distribution influences HP produced. An Air/Fuel ratio device may prove helpful, along with individual temperature measurement of the exiting exhaust gases......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

Better make sure you have no restrictions in the lines and in and out on the pump and it might keep up.
Just saying that's their flaw is they only hold about 3 ounces of gasoline.
My Thermoquad does not run out of gas at 130+ and has stock fuel pump.
The size of the fuel bowl isn't a flaw, it didn't keep big block GM musclecars from completing quarter mile tests for the magazines back in the day. Of course, restrictions in the fuel lines should be avoided in any application, regardless of the carb used. If you need a large fuel bowl to act as a reservoir to cover an inadequate supply problem, well then you have an inadequate supply problem.

Doug Roe and Bill Fisher's book called Rochester Carburetors advise that 4 to 6 pounds of pressure (6 is the max recommended) will handle any street needs, only commenting that removing the sintered bronze filter in lieu of a paper filter may be advised for all out competition.

I've never had a Quadrajet fuel starvation problem on Olds or Pontiac 455s, or when used with an adaptor on my 440.

Beside oxygen (O2) which is only ~ 18.5% of the "air" being consumed (the balance is ~ 79.5% nitrogen with a trace amount of CO, CO2, etc) the other factors to consider are: temperature, barometric pressure (combined as density) combined to form the stoiciometeric air-fuel mix.....which is usually slightly rich to insure ignitabibity rather than a few percent of "excess air" for complete combustion. But mixture distribution influences HP produced. An Air/Fuel ratio device may prove helpful, along with individual temperature measurement of the exiting exhaust gases......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

Oxygen is closer to 21%, nitrogen is 78% and the third gas is argon, at about 1%. The rest are, as you say, trace gasses. We're talking dry air, of course, since sometimes there is a lot of moisture in the air as well.

BOB RENTON

No, just oxygen. The reason Barometric pressure and temperature have an influence is because they directly impact the amount of O2 ingested by the engine.

No, just oxygen. The reason Barometric pressure and temperature have an influence is because they directly impact the amount of O2 ingested by the engine.
The nitrogen is a factor because it expands when heated up by the burning oxygen/fuel mix, helping force the piston down. Just like water, which doesn't burn, can increase thrust in a jet engine with water injection.

Last edited:
The nitrogen is a factor because it expands when heated up by the burning oxygen/fuel mix, helping force the piston down.
No. The N2 is a total negative in power making. It’s a huge energy suck.

Oxygen is closer to 21%, nitrogen is 78% and the third gas is argon, at about 1%. The rest are, as you say, trace gasses. We're talking dry air, of course, since sometimes there is a lot of moisture in the air as well.
True re the trace gases....I use to design combustion control systems for large .industrial process air preheaters.....averaging 50-75 -mm BTU/Hr and always used slightly less than 20% O2 (19 %) in determining the bulk of the waste gas volume (including % excess air (usually 30%-40%), in excess of stoiciometeric requirements, plus total combusted waste gas volumes, temperature and composition) to compute mass flow to the primary heat exchanger at a specific temperature to determine Hx total imput to the process gas volume required. The heating value of the fuel also entered into the calculation, as determined via a combustible gas calorimeter. Mixing of the fuel and air b4 combustion is an important consideration. Gasoline is in a vapor state prior to combustion and is treated as such not a liquid and "air" mixture.....process air pre heaters usually require computer controls to maintain precise waste gas volumes and temperature to insure satisfactory operation.....internal combustion engines are similar ....but on a smaller scale, but similar constraints are required. The actual O2% is important but not absolute but should be factored in the final calculations......just my opinion of course......just how precise do you want or need to be?
BOB RENTON

If you need a large fuel bowl to act as a reservoir to cover an inadequate supply problem, well then you have an inadequate supply problem
I don't know if I need it, but I'm sure as hell not going to rely on a small one in a quadrajet. Carb has a flaw and everyone knows it because it has been preached about and addressed for 50+ years.
The TQ has flaws, they are easily remedied. Mostly just Q/A checks as your rebuilding. How am I going to make the float bowl bigger if my engine can use that much fuel. Or that what little fuel is in there uncovers the central jets under high G loads.
Holley has problems with high G loads on acceleration in the rear bowl, easily fixed with jet extensions.
Like I said original post great carb till the end of second gear.

Without the inert gas like nitrogen in the combustion chamber your car would run like crap with very low cylinder pressure pulses and torch holes in the tops of you pistons or kill ring lands.

Auto Transport Service
Back