• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things you dislike about B bodies?

Hmm: Yeah the rallye gauge deal is a thing. I prefer Road Runners and GTX's to Chargers and I prefer the cleaner 69 to the 70 but that means no Rallye gauges.
Then the 68-70 Charger deal means no fresh air hood but a great dash.
Again: I prefer the 71-72 cars myself.

Knowing it’s 52 years old, built with technology from back then,
The only thing I dislike about our 70 GTX is the clunk/tin sound when shutting the trunk lid
That’s all

My only dislike is the '68 RR', you can only get a bench seat
or column shift if 727 auto
(still never stopped me from buying them & putting buckets in them)
68 Sats & Sports Sats had buckets so did the GTX & certain Belvederes

I was with my parents when they ordered my Mom' a new'
68 Sport Satellite 383 4bbl 4 speed dark green w/white top & white bucket interior
sort of set the stage for me & my love for the body style & that years specifically

my 1st real driver was a 68 Charger R/T GG1 & Black
$350 in 1974 from a hot divorced neighbor lady, when I just turned 15 y/o
worked all summer @ $1.65 an hr to buy that car

In a RR, I personally prefer HT RM23 (later in 68) as opposed to RM21 post coupes
I like the wide openings with no obstructions
the post coupes are just a slight downgrade (if that's a gripe/dislike ?) in my eyes
but either are great, I just prefer the HTs

I've owned 13 RRs 1968-70, 8 of which were 68s, 4-69s & 1-70
I've owned 12 Charger R/Ts 1968-70, 8 of which were 68s
& 8 were 4 speed Dana cars
all had buckets seats & consoles, with the shifters in them :poke:
68 Charger R/T hands down best looking car ever to come of an assembly line

albeit my bucket list car is a 69 Charger 500 Hemi 4 speed dana car, with buckets

68 is 'hands down' the best looking year (especially Chargers)
& really my favorite year of any B-body, (or A-body) Plymouth or Dodge
(it's some of the most expensive in B-bodies too)
I like others, many different years for different reasons
65s especially, I just like the grills & taillights in both 68s & 65s
they do something for me

Really partial to the looks of 'the fastback' cars 66-67 Chargers B-bodies
& the 67-69 Barracudas A-bodies, haven't owned many A-bodies, like 4 total
& none of the 66-67 Chargers

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I do like 68 A-bodies (a few 67 & 69s too)
2 dr HT or convert. Dart/GTSs 383 cars, look like mini RRs/GTXs
& Barracuda Fastbacks, 383 4 sp formula S especially

------------------------------------------------------------------

my love for 4x4s PowerWagons/Power Rams
& early 77-78 Trail Dusters/Ramchargers
or CJ Jeeps
or me drag racing, my budget constraints
hindered me from buying even more of MoPar's cars

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've owned many brands of car MoPar is still my 1st love

not many gripes/dislikes

My only dislike is the '68 RR', you can only get a bench seat
or column shift if 727 auto
68 Sats & Sports Sats had buckets so did the GTX & certain Belvederes

I was with my parents when they ordered my Mom' a new'
68 Sport Satellite 383 4bbl 4 speed dark green w/white top & white bucket interior
sort of set the stage for me & my love for the body style & that years specifically

my 1st real driver was a 68 Charger R/T GG1 & Black
$350 in 1974 from a hot divorced neighbor lady, when I just turned 15 y/o
worked all summer @ $1.65 an hr to buy that car

In a RR, I personally prefer HT RM23 (later in 68) as opposed to RM21 post coupes
I like the wide openings with no obstructions
the post coupes are just a slight downgrade (if that's a gripe/dislike ?) in my eyes
but either are great, I just prefer the HTs

I've owned 13 RRs 1968-70, 8 of which were 68s, 4-69s & 1-70
I've owned 12 Charger R/Ts 1968-70, 8 of which were 68s
& 8 were 4 speed Dana cars
all had buckets seats & consoles, with the shifters in them :poke:
68 Charger R/T hands down best looking car ever to come of an assembly line

albeit my bucket list car is a 69 Charger 500 Hemi 4 speed dana car, with buckets

68 is 'hands down' the best looking year (especially Chargers)
& really my favorite year of any B-body, (or A-body) Plymouth or Dodge
(it's some of the most expensive in B-bodies too)
I like others, many different years for different reasons
65s especially, I just like the grills & taillights in both 68s & 65s
they do something for me

Really partial to the looks of 'the fastback' cars 66-67 Chargers B-bodies
& the 67-69 Barracudas A-bodies, haven't owned many A-bodies, like 4 total
& none of the 66-67 Chargers

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I do like 68 A-bodies (a few 67 & 69s too)
2 dr HT or convert. Dart/GTSs 383 cars, look like mini RRs/GTXs
& Barracuda Fastbacks, 383 4 sp formula S especially

------------------------------------------------------------------

my love for 4x4s PowerWagons/Power Rams
& early 77-78 Trail Dusters/Ramchargers
or CJ Jeeps
or me drag racing, my budget constraints
hindered me from buying even more of MoPar's cars

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've owned many brands of car MoPar is still my 1st love

not many gripes/dislikes
I’ve never seen a ‘68 Satellite with buckets. That was the Sport Satellite. I do think K code police Belvederes were available with “police style” buckets.

What a kool car your Mom had! I bet that was much rarer than a similar road runner.

One of the members on here recently told me he was asked how much he wanted for his, and he told the guy 110k and the guy wants to buy it! He said I told him a high price, and he wants it!
For the right condition and options that might be market.. hemi/4spd/factory air/etc..

Ive owned pretty much all of them from 66 to 70 , currently have two 1966s and one 1967
And to be honest, I cant think of anything I DONT like.
For me they are comfortable and roomy, nice driving cars . If I had to pick something to dislike I wish they early cars had the option of the option of the 6 way seat like in the later years . And god willing I will have 'at least one in my possession ' the rest of my days

Ive had a few A bodies from 68 to 71 , and Although I have no issue with the A bodies ( except the ones where the rear windows dont roll down) But Ive no real desire to own another one.
And One 1970 Challenger and zero interest in owning another E body , ever.
I know that we don't want to get into a "bash-fest" about the B versus other Chrysler models but....
The 66-70 B body, man....What a great platform. Plenty of room, (Except under the dash) reasonably comfortable, decent access to work on even with headers. Beautiful styling.
The blind spots are less of a problem than the 2008-current Challenger. The B steering column aims high. I'm actually considering a tilt wheel conversion for mine to alleviate this nagging thing.
I wish more attention was spent during R & D for wind noise though. I'd also like the console to be higher to also serve as an arm rest like newer cars.
The A body....I'm not a fan of the early A. The styling doesn't appeal to me in the least and the cramped engine bay is a pisser for headers. I absolutely LOVE the 67-76 models though....even the 4 door models.
I do not care much for the E bodies aside from the styling. They are hard to see out of, the seating position seems too low.

No cup holders.
I like the new radial tires over the old bias-ply tires.

It is hard to compare the type of B-body most get today to what there were actually like when they were fairly new.
I recall my old '67 Coronet 318 car , and '68 Polara, had a really smooth ride, and the over powered power steering with manual drum brakes that worked pretty good.
When I got my '71 Charger the suspension/Torsen bars were so worn that the car would bottom out going over dips, but new bars and shocks and it was soo much better to drive.

I prefer the feel of the 71-72 B-bodies best. A bit less wind noise due to the ventless glass, a bit wider track so they handle just a smidge better, better aerodynamics for those high speed runs. Really though I love all B-bodies and feel they were pretty well sorted out for their era. Their size is a bit large for driving in todays world, a bit large for parking for example, E and A bodes fit a bit better in parking spots but don't have the trunk and passenger capacity of the B's. I suppose vinyl seats are something that could use improvement for a driver.
I think the size is an appeal to me. You literally can't get a large suitcase in my car. The parking could be an issue but I live in the country so I am not faced with that much.

Restoring 3 vehicles starting with a rust-bucket, swore off doing another getting a CA car for next build. It was original non-restored 318, doing a few things over the years driving it for over 15 years before a major restoration. Thing ran so nice just didn’t see any priority rebuilding the motor. Before the major re-do, did a brake conversion, some new linkage, elec ig, swapped out the rear, new leafs, 4bbl, duals, re-did the interior that was most pricy as that was crappy plus adding buckets. At my age now, IF I’d do another, it would have to be nice original shape (body) or body having been restored nicely. Mechanicals interior, suspension I’d still do.

Seems as though certain cars have their particular demons for where they like to rust. My old GTO was the rear window and a buddy with a ’69 GTX had similar issues. He found a good amount of ‘fill’ and was perplexed as he wasn’t aware of the car being fixed up. Extra body trim (like on fancier models) can be other areas where rust thrives, like even on my CA Plymouth behind the quarter trim requiring some new metal and on the trunk floor. Had some of that on my goat where the rocker was under trim. On my ride, rockers were reputed to go to chit; but was spared most of that never seeing salt.

You sound like you have a lot of experience, so I’m not saying much here you don’t know. I’d say stay patient for a ride that crops up in the condition you’d prefer it be in having an idea what sort a cash and time will be needed to fix it up enough to your liking. They seem to pop up and lol, have some regrets not buying a couple over the years I passed up. Just my two pennies. Good luck on your hunt!
Here in the PNW there were 3-4 for sale a year ago. Even as late as last November there was a 69 Coronet for sale for decent money. Not much right now. I am still saving funds and decided to sell the newer car which I may regret. It may be lacking in soul, but it is a very fun driver and quite fast. I think things will open up in the winter a bit as people get out of car show mode and the economy slows.

I’ve really only owned my one b body as a “classic or older“ car if you will. Every winter back in the day I would buy a $100 - $200 car to get me thru the winter while the. GTX was stored. Of course I had many friends back then that had every muscle car under the sun but mine was the only car I had eyes and ears for. Saying that I think b bodies were made kind of cheaply in terms of construction but loaded with style and MoPower. Even tho they termed the GTX “The Gentleman's or Executives Muscle Car“ back then I never really saw it that way. My dad always bought the cheapest new cars he could find and I never rode in many uptown or luxury cars back then so I really didnt have much to compare it to. So in my estimation many b bodies can be rolling rattle traps. Now most or many are restored and a decent one would have all those issues taken care of. Not the most comfortable and not the best car made - not usually loaded with options although you can find one with. I guess I‘m blathering on here but I’m a muscle car guy - Mopar is the only brand for me. If muscle makes no difference to you then you simply have to like the styling or else I think there are many other cars you could buy for less coin that may have been better built back at birth. 2 cents see what that will buy you.

BTW you can’t put the Camero In the same garage as a Mopar or it’ll get eaten for lunch. Just the way it is…..
I think for me and most people there is the Mopar or no Car mystique. I drove a 1970 Bronco to work yesterday and a 2011 car today. The fit and finish are not even in the same stratosphere. But I still love the 1970.

A 66/67 is "basically" the same car as a 68-70.

Feels a bit more narrow and is a bit lighter. Not as much wheel well room, but chassis is almost the same as is interior dimensions and seats.

WAY cheaper.

...and they are somewhat less prone to rust.

71-74 OTOH...

More likely to have disk brakes and sway bars...and dual mirrors...and AC.

Lots of cool options started in 70 and were common on 71-74 (like Slap-Stick, etc).

Feels much wider (to me, as do E body cars).

Can be "squishy" handling, but can be at least partially tamed. Seats can be love them/hate them.

...but they are actually somewhat more prone to rust than 68-70.
I would agree with that. I remembered I did have a 67. Really should have kept it but sold it a few years ago. It was a fun car to work on I just prefer 68 and up.

I'm a bit in the same place you are.. although looking for a '68 Charger. I'll keep an eye out for you and send you a link if i come across a decent Satellite. I think the problem you'll run into is Rust and Money. More of one doesnt necessarily mean less of the other btw.. I've found a lot of folks are good at hiding the warts and sometimes arent forthcoming or are proud of something that might not reasonable sense to you. Keep an eye out for the condition of the back window trim, the bottomtrailing edge of the fenders/wheel arch openings, doors and the entire quarters. Also Trunk floors, rear frame rails, truck seals/lid, rear valence panels.. etc. I've been advised aginst buying without laying hands on it first.. it sounds like solid advice (albeit maybe obvious).

Good Luck! I'll let you know if I find anything for ya!

Any chance you might be looking to part with one of those '68 or 69'?? :drinks:
One thing is certain, there are a lot more cars for cheaper in the SE. I had a nice guy here offer me a 68, it even yard drove. Way cheaper than out here. But.....I quit loading my AMD cart when I hit 4k and I wasn't nearly done. There is a saying that I like, "If you can't afford a good car, you really can't afford a bad one..." I think about that one alot.

OFall the Mpars I have had one I really likded was a 73? (or 4?) was it, it was base Charger, 400 4 speed, but the 383 had taken residence. Seems like Iread one of 75. Cool ride.

No cup holders.
I like the new radial tires over the old bias-ply tires.

It is hard to compare the type of B-body most get today to what there were actually like when they were fairly new.
I recall my old '67 Coronet 318 car , and '68 Polara, had a really smooth ride, and the over powered power steering with manual drum brakes that worked pretty good.
When I got my '71 Charger the suspension/Torsen bars were so worn that the car would bottom out going over dips, but new bars and shocks and it was soo much better to drive.
I know it's an old post. I found manual steering a bit of a chore with radial tires, especially low speed turning, especially while parking. BTW i guess i'll get gigged for archeological post digging.

Auto Transport Service
Back