• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I want to buy a pellet smoker.....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
Guys, I wish to move to a temp controlled smoker and would like to hear what you have and what you prefer. I see makers rectech, Traguer, Pit Boss, others and have no clue which one is preferred for up an 8 hour run. Not sure if the electric ones would give the smoke flavor I want , but seems much simpler to operate. The vertical ones appear to take up less room.....but don't know how well they get the job done. I prefer the get the right one first that will give years of good service. Thanks

I have the Pit Boss, we like very much. My buddy has a Traguer and he loves it. So I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Rectec RT-700 owner. It is perfect in every way and holds temp like a champ throughout the night.

I have a Pit Boss. It has been Gold for a few years now. It also has a sear plate that you can open to sear steaks and chops after smoking. I just got done with a slab of brown sugar cured bacon a few days ago.

7-20-18b.jpg

bacon7.jpg

20230322_192549.jpg

20230322_192541.jpg

I have a pit boss....mine is an old larger one I bought for 50 bucks. I put a smoke daddy controller on it and use smoke tubes. I use it like a bbq, a smoker and a pizza oven. my steaks, burgers, venison. You name it that's where I cook it. Mine is used year round. The pit boss I have has some pretty thick steal compared to others. I have the table top version up north at camp and it does an amazing job as well. costco pellets are pit boss pellets but much cheaper....12 hour brisket mmmm

I have a pit boss....mine is an old larger one I bought for 50 bucks. I put a smoke daddy controller on it and use smoke tubes. I use it like a bbq, a smoker and a pizza oven. my steaks, burgers, venison. You name it that's where I cook it. Mine is used year round. The pit boss I have has some pretty thick steal compared to others. I have the table top version up north at camp and it does an amazing job as well. costco pellets are pit boss pellets but much cheaper....12 hour brisket mmmm
Brisket? Making me hungry!

brisket.jpg

brisket6.jpg

For an 8-hr cook, all the above mentioned will get the job done, just have to keep an eye on the hopper. The Trager I had didn't disappoint and worked great for 10 years before I handed it down to my brother. I then got ahold of a "Smokin Brothers" grill and I love that one. Pricier than my old Trager, but USA-Made and very well built. We BBQ year-round here so I was ready for something more premium and with a little more space. I've done a lot of long (12-14hr+) cooks for holidays/parties and such and have been very pleased. Flavor is every bit as good as the old stick burner, as long as you use good pellets. My pellet of choice is the Lumber Jack brand, great flavor and made from real tree wood.

I have the Pit Boss, we like very much. My buddy has a Traguer and he loves it. So I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
And THAT is what's great about pellet smokers....get 'em dialed in, and leave em' alone. I used to use a stick burner that a friend built me and it was awesome, and taught me the finer points of BBQ but it was always labor intensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back