• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Entitlement Society Crap Has Gone Too Far!!!

Bruzilla

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
No, I'm not talking about welfare, Social Security, or Medicare... I'm ranting about women being allowed to go into auto parts stores!

So, I go to the car wash last night to give the bird a good scrub down before waxing if for the first time, and I stopped at a local chain auto parts store to get the Mother's wax that was recommended on another post. Yes, I could have just gone to Walmart and saved some time, but I try to support the specialty businesses when I can, even if it costs me more.

I should have known I was in trouble when I pulled in and saw a tow truck dropping a car off at a chain auto parts store. Who pays for a tow to an auto parts store? A gas station with a mechanic, yes. An auto repair garage, certainly. But who pays for a tow to an auto parts store when you'll probably have to pay for a second tow to someplace that actually fixes cars? There's only two human beings who have their cars towed to an auto parts store, and that's a woman who is utterly clueless about her car, or a woman who is utterly clueless about her car and has a problem the tow truck driver knows the auto parts store will fix - a dead battery.

I walk into the store, and there they are... not just one, but two, women standing at the counter. I should have just turned around and left right then and saved a lot of time, but I went and got what I needed and headed to the counter just in time to see the two guys working the counter going outside to pull the batteries from the cars of these women, one of them being the car that was just towed in. So, there I stand for 10-15 minutes with five other humans with just one X chromosome and the sense and tools to remove their own batteries thank you very much. We pretty much have the run of the store while the guys who are supposed to be minding the shop are out telling these gals "now, this is what we call a 10 millimeter socket."

The guys, gals, and batteries finally come back in, and now we're all standing around for another 15 minutes while these gals ask a ton of questions about which battery to buy, what the warranties are, why their old battery went dead (after being in one of the cars for five years...), and why the "silver things on the battery were blue and fuzzy" (yes... all of us guys were quietly chuckling when one of the gals asked that question). Then after all else, we had to listen while the guys tried to get an extra $1.39 out of these two for the dielectric goop they sell at the counter, then had to listen to the gals debate the relative value of paying an extra $1.39 to help maintain a battery they had already paid about $60 too much for.

Finally, the cash changes hands, and we males are looking at finally getting out of the store, when, of course, the gals now need the guys to go and install their batteries for them. Why not? They've only eaten up 30 minutes of my day, why not take another 15? I let out a very loud "fu&k this s4it" and headed for the door, leaving all my items sitting on the counter. And I am proud to say every other guy who had been rear ended for the past half hour left with me.

Could someone explain to women that if your car is broken, and you don't want to fix it yourself, you go to a repair place? If it's broken and you want to fix it yourself, you go to an auto parts store? This is a simple concept anyone should be able to grasp. Yes, chain stores offer free installation of batteries and wiper blades, but that's a courtesy most patrons decline to accept because it's considered an insult to most of us in the motoring public who actually know having tools in the car doesn't mean having just a cell phone, an old make-up kit that's not as nice as your new one but too good to throw away, and a nail file.

Frankly, if you lack the tools and knowledge to change your own battery, you have no business being at the auto parts store to begin with. First, you're paying $139 for the exact same battery they sell at Walmart for $79 and you're getting less of a warranty. Second, you're displaying clearly sexually stereotypical ignorance in public, thus validating the same stereotype you feel insulted by. Lastly, you're inconveniencing the crap out of those of us who have taken the time to learn how to maintain our cars and spent the money on a decent tool set. In short, you're not entitled to use an auto parts store as a free garage to overcome your failings as a vehicle owner.

I don't go to the make-up counter at Macy's and tie up the gal working there for 45 minutes by asking her which powder goes with what base, or what eye shadow goes with what lipstick; nor do I ask her to apply my makeup because I have none of the stuff one needs to do it. I don't go to Betty's Beauty Supply Shoppe and dominate the staff with hair care questions for half an hour and then take even more of their time by having them tint my tips because I'm baffled by the complexities of putting dye on the end of my hair. How about extending those of us who just want to get in and out (read that any way you like) a little common courtesy and avoid the auto parts store? Go to Walmart, pay $60 less for the battery, give $20 of that savings to the 12-year old Pop Warner football kid selling candy bars to support his team at the door as he'll likely know how to change your battery, and you come out $40 ahead AND you don't make guys like me miserable. Everybody wins.

Rant over. :)

Last edited:
My thoughts are if you do not have the sense to change out your own battery, car ownership just isn't for you.

loved the rant and you are far more patient then me.i would have lost it after about 5 min max.i am not sure your problem is limited to females only though.seems that it is a growing trend for totally clueless men to come into my shop and argue about repairs when they have no idea how the car operates.seems that our younger generation is less knowledgable about autos then any before and the problem is accelerating at an alarming rate.:eusa_think:

The auto parts stores are opening up a whole nasty liability issue when they allow employees to *work* on cars. I know a guy that installed a battery for a customer at a local O'reillys. He shorted the positive to ground removing the old battery and it exploded in his face. Luckily he was not injured badly. It did blow his glasses off his face and the cap off his head and he sustained mild acid burns on his face. These big box stores need to stick to selling parts only. They don't really know that very well.

Bahaha your title is false advertising, I'm calling my congressman, unfortunately she will just make me leave a message cuz she's out to lunch lmao. Your title should have had a dumb blonde joke in it instead.

My thoughts are if you do not have the sense to change out your own battery, car ownership just isn't for you.

Just because I own a skillet, it doesn't mean I know how to cook.

WOW...you guys might want to rethink some things in life.

I NEVER miss an opportunity to help a damsel in a dress...er distress. Paybacks are not always a bitch.

I worked at a NAPA store for a while, and the thing is, about half the people that walk through the front door, men and women, have absolutely no business working on any vehicle of any kind. Somewhere they got the idea in their head that they can fix something. Scary! I don't blame the store for selling parts, that's what they are there for. But these people should just know better than to try to work on their own cars.:confused4:

Bruzilla...my man...its like this......you were watching a train wreck unfolding right in front of your very eyes.....you were just DYYYYYYYYYYYING to see what would happen next..... i see that as pure, unadulterated first class ENTERTAINMENT,,,,and i would have done the very same thing....of course i would have been turning to the other waiting customers.....cracking jokes and acting like my normal " clown" self.....cracking women jokes and such.

C'mon now......deep down you were entertained.....kinda like listening to Howard Stern....YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT HE IS GOING TO DO OR SAY NEXT !.

OF COURSE MY FRIEND I AM BUSTING YOUR STONES....and i must say,,,your story was absolutely mesmerizing....like i was actually in the store with you. i dont have much use any longer for the weaker opposite sex any more.....but i would have given ANYTHING to have been there right beside you as this mess occured. opportunities like that happen all too often....and i make the best of it ALWAYS....weather feelings get hurt or not.....i see it this way.....IF YOURE STUPID ENUFF TO HAVE YOUR CAR TOWED TO AUTO ZONE....THEN YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOURE ABOUT TO GET.

fantastic story ...i loved it!

As your friendly neighborhood liberal, I'll point out that the problem wasn't with the women, it was with the capitalist chain store not hiring enough workers to assist both the women and the men waiting in line behind them.*

There, now your thread just turned into a political discussion. :grin::grin::grin:

*j/k :sideways tongue:

Bruzilla...my man...its like this......you were watching a train wreck unfolding right in front of your very eyes.....you were just DYYYYYYYYYYYING to see what would happen next..... i see that as pure, unadulterated first class ENTERTAINMENT,,,,and i would have done the very same thing....of course i would have been turning to the other waiting customers.....cracking jokes and acting like my normal " clown" self.....cracking women jokes and such.

C'mon now......deep down you were entertained.....kinda like listening to Howard Stern....YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT HE IS GOING TO DO OR SAY NEXT !.

OF COURSE MY FRIEND I AM BUSTING YOUR STONES....and i must say,,,your story was absolutely mesmerizing....like i was actually in the store with you. i dont have much use any longer for the weaker opposite sex any more.....but i would have given ANYTHING to have been there right beside you as this mess occured. opportunities like that happen all too often....and i make the best of it ALWAYS....weather feelings get hurt or not.....i see it this way.....IF YOURE STUPID ENUFF TO HAVE YOUR CAR TOWED TO AUTO ZONE....THEN YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOURE ABOUT TO GET.

fantastic story ...i loved it!

Oh, I admit I was entertained with the fuzzy battery clamp comment. It was the one brief moment of humor I found in the whole event as I got madder and madder. :) The hard part was not saying something when the counter guy answered the question of "why did my battery die?" with "well, looking at the date stamp on the battery, it was installed in January 1995..." I was going to say "unlike your hairstyle, you do need to change things like batteries every few years." You know, something that would mean nothing to a dude but would skewer a gal to her soul, but I was nice. :)

As your friendly neighborhood liberal, I'll point out that the problem wasn't with the women, it was with the capitalist chain store not hiring enough workers to assist both the women and the men waiting in line behind them.*

There, now your thread just turned into a political discussion. :grin::grin::grin:

DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... youre ruining all the funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:sideways tongue:

Now, wait just a cotton-pickin moment here! Wait, is cotton-pickin racist these days? Damn, I lost my Liberal handbook again! :) Anyway, I thought Walmart was the evil capitalist chain store, and the autoparts stores were the small shops being crushed by the one-stop-shopping big boxes that are destroying America?

Damn! Now they're both classified as capitalist chain stores oppressing the middle class. I guess I'll just have to buy everything using Gore's internet. :)

Oh, I admit I was entertained with the fuzzy battery clamp comment. It was the one brief moment of humor I found in the whole event as I got madder and madder. :) The hard part was not saying something when the counter guy answered the question of "why did my battery die?" with "well, looking at the date stamp on the battery, it was installed in January 1995..." I was going to say "unlike your hairstyle, you do need to change things like batteries every few years." You know, something that would mean nothing to a dude but would skewer a gal to her soul, but I was nice. :)

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO... sorry but me being ME... i woulda unloaded and hit her with both barrels !:sideways tongue:....coz im not so nice!:love2:. funny stuff right there....im still laffin' !

Just because I own a skillet, it doesn't mean I know how to cook.

WOW...you guys might want to rethink some things in life.

I NEVER miss an opportunity to help a damsel in a dress...er distress. Paybacks are not always a bitch.

I guess it goes to context. If the damsel in distress is a lovely innocent gal who was abducted by the Black Knight and is in desperate need of someone to save her, I'm all in. If the damsel is a camp follower who's been chasing after the Black Knight for years and even he has the good sense to not go near her with a 10-foot lance, and she wants a lift home after being dumped again, don't count me in.

In this case, if a damsel is in distress on the roadside because her radiator hose went, tire blew, or other problem, I'm all in. If you're a damsel in distress at the auto parts store who's only there because you never felt it was important to learn "that guy stuff" and are too cheap to pay a mechanic, then you're in my way toots! :)

What about the ones behind the counter?

They're the only ones worse off than the guys in front of the counter. They're the ones who have to deal with this crap for hour after hour, day after day, thanks to corporate policy. I guess I'm lucky I only had to deal with it for 30 minutes. :)

I worked at a NAPA store for a while, and the thing is, about half the people that walk through the front door, men and women, have absolutely no business working on any vehicle of any kind. Somewhere they got the idea in their head that they can fix something. Scary! I don't blame the store for selling parts, that's what they are there for. But these people should just know better than to try to work on their own cars.:confused4:

I'll be the first to admit that not every guy in the parts store should be there, but the reality is if you see a woman ahead of you in line, you're better off just putting your goods down, stepping back slowly, and leaving the store as quickly as you can because those who stay behind in that situation are going to become casualties. :)

Clueless help?

Help less, help ? Stopped at PEPBOYS for Air Filter for my 69 Roadrunner..Clerk asked who made the Roadrunner .:eusa_think:.I said Plymouth..
He said who??:angryfire:

What about the ones behind the counter?

Help less, help ? Stopped at PEPBOYS for Air Filter for my 69 Roadrunner..Clerk asked who made the Roadrunner .:eusa_think:.I said Plymouth..
He said who??:angryfire:

Lmao, My favorite is let me look on the computer then that look of bewilderment then that look of I can't find anything that says 440 on it then the question are you sure it's a v8? lol

When did auto shop in high school become a bad place to learn?

Auto Transport Service
Back