• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those who are racing a 6bbl equipped car, or find yourself tuning and tweaking the 6 Pack often for any reason, flexible fuel lines are AWESOME!

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
Initially I got the Promax braided 6bbl fuel line kit because it looks fantastic and may have performance advantages, but I am so happy with how much EASIER it makes all aspects of servicing the carbs!
ANYONE who runs the Holley 6bbl carb system should know how much EASIER it is, by leaps and bounds, to use a braided flexible fuel line system like the Promax system I have, especially if you are going to be tuning, troubleshooting or racing your car!!
I only had to back off 3 fuel line connections to remove the front outboard carb and then the fuel bowl and metering block were ready to come off the center carb!!!
I numbered the 3 fittings I had to loosen:
Screenshot_20230526_202349_Gallery.jpg

With very little time, I have been trying to resolve my 440 6bbl running poorly, which is not "normal" but as bad luck bad timing would have it, I discovered the problem the week of Cruisin the Coast October 2022.
That's the ONE time of year my wife and her 1965 GTO 421 Tripower and me and my 70 V-code Roadrunner take a vacation and the cars are a critically important part of the whole experience.
Long story short, one of the symptoms was "rich A/F" signs, like black, gas smelling spark plugs and other rich conditions symptoms. The spark plugs needed changing anyway, and afterwards it seemed to run WAY better, especially at idle, but in a 2 location local cruise night with only 15-20 minute long drive times, it was running bad again that night.
Wide open throttle seemed to be as rowdy as ever, and that was confusing. PART THROTTLE is when it runs bad. I can feel and hear the driveline "jerking" as the power from the engine is not linear.
So I think it's a leaking or blown power valve, and I'm going to address that today.

I have hundreds and hundreds of passes on my six pack Charger. Newer engine has been in since around 2007 with over 55,000 miles on it now and I can't even remember the last time I pulled off the air cleaner. I just drive it. Never let's me down.

I picked up a couple of "packs" of these red no stick gaskets, enough to do all 3 carbs. We couldn't read any number on my existing PV, but with my vacuum being around 10.5 to 11 at idle, I got 3 different ones: 6.5-5.5-4.5 and I'm going to try the 6.5 first. I was inclined to go with the highest number of the 3, the 70 AAR Cuda 340 6bbl buddy who suggested the PV may be at fault had suggested an even higher #8 PV but he may not be considering the 292/.509 cam??
AND...
I asked my friend and the MASTER of MOPAR engine building...
:lowdown:@IQ52 aka Jim Laroy what he would try first and he said the 6.5 so there!
:moparsmiley::bananadance:
I AM DEFINITELY going to take all 3 carbs apart since I found evidence of moisture in the carb and corresponding "funkyness" mainly that white, crumbly specs of stuff that has a calcium like texture and appearance. I may as well clean 'em all up now since I'm this far in and troubleshooting a poor running condition.
I'll check in later...

Initially I got the Promax braided 6bbl fuel line kit because it looks fantastic and may have performance advantages, but I am so happy with how much EASIER it makes all aspects of servicing the carbs!
ANYONE who runs the Holley 6bbl carb system should know how much EASIER it is, by leaps and bounds, to use a braided flexible fuel line system like the Promax system I have, especially if you are going to be tuning, troubleshooting or racing your car!!
I only had to back off 3 fuel line connections to remove the front outboard carb and then the fuel bowl and metering block were ready to come off the center carb!!!
I numbered the 3 fittings I had to loosen:
View attachment 1470490
looks like you bought the upper and lower kit,any pics on how it hooks to the Fuel separator ?

Yep...like those..I got the lower pump to supplied reusable washable 40 micron filter main feed fuel line too.
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!!
Although NO ONE may make the same mistake I did, especially when my subconscious was telling me "Hey! Flush out those new stainless steel braided fuel lines before you install them!"
IF YOU PUT ON BRAIDED FUEL LINES, FLUSH THEM OUT FIRST!!
I was in a hurry to get the 3 carbs I had just been shipped back from Promax, my carbs that I had sent to them to rebuild, test, install their parts in, and tune for me to get them "close" to where I needed them to be, and between that and the work on the GTO, I was looking for time savings anywhere I could find it...

I wound up with teeny shards of stainless steel braid clippings pumped ALL THROUGH my brand new-or-just rebuilt carbs...

:BangHead::nutkick::monkeyleft:me...
So that was another time when the week of Cruisin the Coast that wasn't the "happy time" it was supposed to be.
Anyway, I'm going to go do this disassembly of all 3 carbs, cleaning them out, install the new PV, and I'll check back in later.

looks like you bought the upper and lower kit,any pics on how it hooks to the Fuel separator ?
I couldn't figure it out so I plugged the return line.
I do have a brand new vapor separator to incorporate into the fuel lines if anyone can show me/us how it's done.

Thanks. That pic of the installed items, fuel pump, sep, lines, etc is clear and THE layout.
I mainly haven't done it because of lack of time and more important issues, but I'm going to get a new WIX metal cased fuel filter (just because of its age and my finding some moisture in my carbs) and with new spark plugs installed, my cleaning all 3 carbs today (that I'm going back to do NOW) I may as well get the vap sep back in the setup. I dunno..With Summer here, in South Louisiana, probably a good idea.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back