• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this 383

nativefx

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Backstory about my car. So my 383 in my recently acquired 68 charger had a lifter that froze and caused the pushrod to not only bend, but also knocked the rocker arm off. Lost oil pressure while driving home, so shut off pretty quickly once I knew something was wrong. Took to mechanic and they didn't see a whole lot of damage so we thought we might be able to just replace the lifter and pushrod, and reset the rocker but motor is not happy. The limited info I know about the motor was it was "refreshed" sometime not long before I bought it. Pretty sure it was refreshed to stock like specs, so nothing extreme. Engine was clean looking when we pulled the valve covers, lifters and pushrods looked like they had been replaced during refresh, but rockers looked original. Mechanic is going to pull the heads to see what else is causing problems and then I have to decide what my options are. Just for reference, I bought this car as a decent driver and eventually it would be my next restomod project after I finish my current project that I still have 8 months or more hopefully.

Do my issue is I didn't really intend to drop much money into the Charger, as it was supposed to be something to enjoy now. Later on I would basically replace the whole drivetrain, which is why i'm looking for "affordable" options should we find significant damage to my current engine. Figured I didn't really want to put a lot of money into rebuilding the 383, but still want to be able to drive the car now. So started looking around for an engine, maybe a 440 or something ready to run. Somewhat local to me, I found a guy selling a rebuilt 383 for $2500 which would definately be my cheapest option for a temporary engine. So now I'm looking for input from all those more knowledgeable than myself based on the info below?

1967 383 Block casting # 246 8130 12 Engine has less than 200 miles on it. Disassembled it ,Checked Bearing, like new! Nice cross hacked bores. Wiped it down with Thinner ,as it is now in pictures. Reassembled. >030 bore, flat top pistons,10/10 steel crank. 516 heads w/78cc's- appox 9.5 to 9.7 Comp. Comp Cam grind # 270s, Magnum 224. Adv. dur. 270/270 @ .050 224/224. LC 110 , Lift 468/468. Solid lifter Cam. Comp. double roller timing componants. Comp. Lifters and Valve springs. Crane rockers/ pushrods. Edlebrock Dual Plane Intake, Mopar Electronic Dist. 402 6qt. oil pan .3/8 pickup.

Doing some research, the cam doesn't seem extreme but maybe slightly better than the 335hp/383 motors? Hoping I could get an estimate on what kind of hp/tq I might see and make sure the parts used are acceptable? Appreciate any help. Obviously I could have a 440 built or even stroke the 383 while rebuilding, but the cost would be a lot higher and I still think I would end up going another route in a year or so. Given it will go in a 3800-4000lb car, I would still like something a little fun that has enough torque to enjoy for now. I have a 727 trans and sure grip rear end but unsure of gear ratio but will find out.

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks, Jake

Some pictures of motor for sale.

block.jpg bottom.jpg 383 engine.jpg 516 heads.jpg

From what I can see it's worth 2,500.
But I would not leave the surfaces without oil for long.
The cam choice is good as well.

Looks like a good deal to me. If the 516 heads are off, a little pocket porting really helps them. Not hard to do, just clean the ridge under the valve seat. Done several sets with great results.

Buy some 440 source heads & put them on your 383, you can use them on a latter build also

sounds like a Valve stuck & bent the pushrod

From the discussion with the mechanic, the lifter seized completely and shoved the pushrod up and caused the rocker arm off. Said they looked like they had been replaced during the refresh, but it required a vice to break it loose. They will be pulling the heads soon, so we may also find a valve problem. did a compression check after replacing lifter, pushrod and rocker but very little compression on that cylinder.

Buy some 440 source heads & put them on your 383, you can use them on a latter build also
I might have to see if the have any in stock. Mainly worried about sourcing parts and getting it back on the road, so I'll have to look at all options once they have a better look. Worried about whether there is any damage to the cam as well.

From the discussion with the mechanic, the lifter seized completely and shoved the pushrod up and caused the rocker arm off. Said they looked like they had been replaced during the refresh, but it required a vice to break it loose. They will be pulling the heads soon, so we may also find a valve problem. did a compression check after replacing lifter, pushrod and rocker but very little compression on that cylinder.

One thought, lifter bores on some engines are not the same size. I had a small block that had one lifter that was undersized. That would explain that sort of damage.

it is possible IF the lifter plunger collapsed & did not pump back up & the pushrod fell out of the rocker arm, push rods my be to short

I'm guessing the pushrod came out of the rocker in the cup area. I doubt the rocker came off the shaft that would be something unheard of.

I'm guessing the pushrod came out of the rocker in the cup area. I doubt the rocker came off the shaft that would be something unheard of.

Sorry, your correct as it was a bad choice of words in trying to describe my problem. thanks

A frozen lifter and a bent pushrod usually means a valve kissed a piston. When a lifter freezes in the open position and the pistons coming up the valve will hit the piston top. The weak link is the pushrod and rocker body. Yeah the shaft is tough but the rockers just stamped steel. Very tough but they can be bent.

Auto Transport Service
Back