• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this lifter/cam lobe

T2R9

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Since the body shop can't fit my car in till June 5th I decided to address the annoying tick I have. 500 miles, Vodoo 702 cam all the other lifters and lobes look great but this one has me questioning if its rotating properly. The back of the lobe has wear unlike the others like the one on the left. The lifter has a single line pattern and a slight line in the center. Hard to get a good pic of that.

Back side of the lobe. One on the right, I would expect it should look like the one on the left.
IMG_3252.JPG

Top of the lobe.
IMG_3250.JPG

Lifter

IMG_3245.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3253.JPG

Thanks!

Not looking good. Put that handy straight edge on the bottom of the lifter

It’s “done”.

Imo, none of the lifters you’ve shown look “good”.
One is toast, one is well on its way to being toast, and the one that hasn’t really gone past the point of no return, still doesn’t look like it would live a long happy life.

Edit...... are the 2nd and 3rd lifter pics the same lifter?
Looking at those pics closer...... the single wear line is on both.
When you see that, it’s the beginning of the end.

Edit 2- I’m now thinking that’s 3 pics of the same lifter?
You’re correct about the wear pattern on the cam.
You’re not going to get proper lifter rotation when the lifter is contacting both sides of the lobe.

Last edited:
I put the calipers on it and the crown is pretty much gone in the direction of the wear verses opposite of it. Caught in time to save the engine? I sent the oil out for analysis but done have the results yet.

This one appears to be at the very early stages of the line forming.......

Plus there’s a small chip out of the corner of it.

8804537A-1A9A-4F5F-AE8B-972C9D07C2DC.png

I was just having a conversation with someone about the current state of the FT cam situation.
I have never really been a “the sky is falling” type of person.
But....... I wouldn’t put one in anything these days.

If the crown on those lifters is gone there toast. Looks like you caught it early and may be able to save that engine. 440'

Desision time. I have another 702 cam on the shelf and some "NOS" lifters purchaced here but no telling the origin. Or go roller. Do they make a roller small enough for my needs? Factory exhaust manifolds, AC, and Power brakes. I need vacuum.

Roller- route..
Different pushrods,
Bronze distributor drive,
Cam button,
Endplay setup,
Timing cover beefed up,

Since the body shop can't fit my car in till June 5th I decided to address the annoying tick I have. 500 miles, Vodoo 702 cam all the other lifters and lobes look great but this one has me questioning if its rotating properly. The back of the lobe has wear unlike the others like the one on the left. The lifter has a single line pattern and a slight line in the center. Hard to get a good pic of that.

Back side of the lobe. One on the right, I would expect it should look like the one on the left.
View attachment 1464368

Top of the lobe.
View attachment 1464377

Lifter

View attachment 1464378View attachment 1464379View attachment 1464380

Thanks!
I have been building engines since 1974, for a number of reasons there is a bunch of poorly manufactured lifters and flat tappet camshafts in the supply chain. I have told anybody that wants me to build them an engine just to spend a few extra bucks and use a hydraulic roller. No special oil additives, no break-in issues, higher lifts possible with short durations, makes a nice streetable package with lots of torque due to the extra lift. Thing is if a lobe goes flat, metal gets in the bearings, piston skirts, and cylinder walls, so did you really save any money? They stopped putting flat tappet cams in OEM engines in the 1990's same time they took out the zinc additives from oil. Yes, I have sources that I know I can get good flat tappet cams from, but they don't carry many mopars and they cost almost as much a roller. And IF you get the bad camshaft replaced, they will not pay any labor or related damage, so why should companies sweat some junk cams?

Hyd roller, the only way to fly these days. Like said, various other parts to go along, but no special oil needed and great torque.
Should be a grind for your application.

The metallurgy on the newer Chinese lifters is junk!!!
Lot of cam cores are the same story.
Look for NOS 20 or 30 year old + stuff fore flat tappets of any sort.

Edit 2- I’m now thinking that’s 3 pics of the same lifter?
You’re correct about the wear pattern on the cam.
You’re not going to get proper lifter rotation when the lifter is contacting both sides of the lobe.
It's all the same lifter. Was just trying to get a good picture of the surface. Pulling the cam now. I will go with the 702 I have on the shelf as my time is limited due to this 2 weeks ago and having it ready for Carlisle... Got hit going to a car show today

Got some USA made old stock Speed Pro lifters coming.

IMG_3260.JPG

Oil Report came back looking good. I feel better using the new 702 with the NOS USA lifters I purchased. Here are their comments.

"We have a lot of highlighted elements here but don't worry, nothing looks too bad considering the
engine has just been rebuilt. It's common for wear metals and silicon to read high during break-in oil. Extra
metal comes from parts wearing in, and silicon is from sealers/lubes used in assembly. Metals and silicon
should fall at each oil change, and eventually landing near universal averages. Those show expected wear
for the classic Dodge 440 CI V-8 with about 2,500 miles on the oil. The trace of fuel isn't a big concern and
no other contamination was found. Have fun."

Auto Transport Service
Back