• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time slip2+sec [email protected]*EDIT ordered wideband O2 system!

Well there is a lot of power missing somewhere.

Bio, what type of fan are you running? Clutch, mechanical, or electric? Any other accessories, power steering, A/C? Muffler choice?

I wouldn't recommend running nitrous on a single 2-barrel plate kit. That manifold is really designed to have proper fuel distribution @ WOT with all three carburetors.

Last edited:
Not enough fuel pump, too small of fuel line, weak spark under load, or a combination of these is my guess.
Fuel pump is now the :lowdown: Carter M6903 that is the Holy Grail of mechanical fuel pumps for 6bbl 440 and Hemi guys who want a mechanical fuel pump. Unfortunately the carbs from Promax and this fuel pump were both installed at the same time, and I believe because of debris or need of some adjustments that I may have missed, my car is running very poorly. The time slip I showed was with a crappy looking "stock" or parts store mech fuel pump, and I can guarantee that it was nothing special.
The fuel line is the "upgraded" 3/8" factory Hemi or 440 6bbl specific fuel line vs the 5/16" line that lesser motors got.
Spark is from my FBO ignition system that uses a high tech control box and Flamethrower ignition coil, high power spark!
http://4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html
If anything, other than my significant traction issues within the 1st 60 feet, especially right off the start, I am sure there was/is power to be found in carburetor tuning, and possibly tweaking the distributor ignition timing curve, although the timing curve is "customized" by Don at FBO for my motor setup.
My absolute next step is getting my carbs working at least as well as they did BEFORE I sent them to Promax :cursin::cursin::cursin:

what type of fan are you running? Clutch, mechanical, or electric? Any other accessories, power steering, A/C? Muffler choice?
Fan is factory clutch type, and it definitely allows for "slippage" of the fan. ZERO accessories, mechanical EVERYTHING, this V-Code was definitely put together to GO, it doesn't even have power brakes, so vacuum isn't ever in question as far as cam choice.
My TTi 1 7/8" primary headers go into a great FULL 3" exhaust system that has a prefabbed X pipe in it, but I open my Doug's 3" electronic cutouts. Mufflers are Flowmasters, and there is really no difference between running my car through the exhaust system vs open headers other than it sounds more vicious with open headers.

Fan is factory clutch type, and it definitely allows for "slippage" of the fan. ZERO accessories, mechanical EVERYTHING, this V-Code was definitely put together to GO, it doesn't even have power brakes, so vacuum isn't ever in question as far as cam choice.
My TTi 1 7/8" primary headers go into a great FULL 3" exhaust system that has a prefabbed X pipe in it, but I open my Doug's 3" electronic cutouts. Mufflers are Flowmasters, and there is really no difference between running my car through the exhaust system vs open headers other than it sounds more vicious with open headers.

Plymouth-1971-hp-crop.jpg

That's the ratings for 1971, virtually unchanged from 1970. NET ratings are fairly realistic, that's with the accessory drive, full exhaust, air cleaner, and radiator fan. With a .509" lift / 242* duration @ .050 camshaft, headers, & full-exhaust; I would assume that you will have another 50-60 HP at a minimum. There is something wrong, could be something very simple, a lot of speculation at the moment though. Wideband 02 sensor would tell us the full story pretty quickly.

Wideband 02 sensor would tell us the full story pretty quickly.
Thank you so much for your help!
I am taking recommendations for a dual band (one sensor for each side of the exhaust) units. I KNOW how critical it is, especially with 3x2 bbl. I would like a dual band display, and some kind of data logging so I can see what a "driving event" looked like.
For my next motor, I would also like an ignition system that, if my motor is built accordingly, would allow me to "turn up" the power when I have 110 octane fuel available, and then turn it back down for 93 octane pump gas, but ONLY if I can get the appropriate parameters built into my motor, like maybe another point of compression ratio.
@IQ52 or any other builder/someone who knows, is this something that has been done? What else can be built in to allow for this?
Thanks

Thank you so much for your help!
I am taking recommendations for a dual band (one sensor for each side of the exhaust) units. I KNOW how critical it is, especially with 3x2 bbl. I would like a dual band display, and some kind of data logging so I can see what a "driving event" looked like.
For my next motor, I would also like an ignition system that, if my motor is built accordingly, would allow me to "turn up" the power when I have 110 octane fuel available, and then turn it back down for 93 octane pump gas, but ONLY if I can get the appropriate parameters built into my motor, like maybe another point of compression ratio.
@IQ52 or any other builder/someone who knows, is this something that has been done? What else can be built in to allow for this?
Thanks

MSD 6AL-2 will accomplish that, with a locked distributor. It manages the entire timing curve, takes around 5-minutes to make timing curve adjustments. All the owner does is set the mechanical timing, for example, 40* total. At that point, it's nothing more than retarding the timing (x)* for pump-gas in the software. For what you're looking for, EFI is the safest bet. Leaded fuels aren't that great for 02-sensors however. Holley has held the Sniper 3x2 trademark since 2017, it would make sense for them to make that kit available in the near future.
https://trademarks.justia.com/876/52/sniper-87652042.html

There are only a few dual-band units, the Innovate Motorsports unit is excellent. Not a bad price either for $300. It will allow data-logging, etc.

My Innovative Motorsports dual wideband O2 system is in!
:thumbsup: :bananadance:

So is my complete QA1 front suspension w/SPC UCAs...
I am not fooling with the K-member or front suspension until I get my 3x2 carbs running better, then I'll have the Innovative system installed and tweak further, and get the front suspension installed at some point thereabout.

Please report to us your satisfaction with the dual wide band setup. I am interested in getting one.
Remember, they want the sensors 10" BEFORE the header collectors end.
I was going to have to put header collector extensions on my car to get that setup.....but where my header collector ends it is only about 7" from the transmission crossmember.
A friend of mine said he actually cut a 1/2 round "notch" in his crossmember and then welded in a "1/2 round brace" to close up the notch where he made the cut to put the strength back into the crossmember. This way the extension could pass "thru" the crossmember ok.

Remember, they want the sensors 10" BEFORE the header collectors end.
I don't doubt you. I haven't read through the manual yet. I ordered the TTi headers I have with evac nipples built in but I didn't have the foresight to also get O2 sensor bungs put in, but......
Working off memory, I don't know if my header collectors are even 10" long, and if what you say is true, the very next structure that is behind the collectors are my Doug's electric cutouts (I wonder if that "space" would count as "collector extensions?)
I will be certain to follow up.
I was considering having the O2 sensor bungs welded in by a muffler/mechanic shop that I have done business with many times, but I have been more inclined to have a "tuner shop" do the work because they deal with systems like mine and on a much much more complex level, and they have a good reputation.

I don't doubt you. I haven't read through the manual yet. I ordered the TTi headers I have with evac nipples built in but I didn't have the foresight to also get O2 sensor bungs put in, but......
Working off memory, I don't know if my header collectors are even 10" long, and if what you say is true, the very next structure that is behind the collectors are my Doug's electric cutouts (I wonder if that "space" would count as "collector extensions?)
I will be certain to follow up.
I was considering having the O2 sensor bungs welded in by a muffler/mechanic shop that I have done business with many times, but I have been more inclined to have a "tuner shop" do the work because they deal with systems like mine and on a much much more complex level, and they have a good reputation.
Keep us posted, please.

Auto Transport Service
Back