• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to freshen the engine and trans

cjd1963

Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
Well after 32 years in the car it's time to pull the engine and trans out of the "tan car". Best et and speed was 11.91 @ 116 mph. Replaced the entire brake system front to back earlier this year as well as the fuel system. Rear end is all fresh, time to top it all off.
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG
IMG_0861.PNG
IMG_0857.PNG

Im assuming 426 mw? 727 or 4 gear? Nice ride.
Yes it's an original HC Max Wedge steel front end car with aluminum front end that I added in 1991. Max Wedge engine from carbs to pan.

What kind of freshen up are you thinking? Re-ring and bearings or going faster?

What is the brand of radiator, if you don’t mind me asking? 2 row, 3 row?

What kind of freshen up are you thinking? Re-ring and bearings or going faster?
Yes rings and bearings, probably putting a stock eliminator profile cam back in it. I had a Lunati RL stage III cam in this engine back in the late 80's and early 90's. .520 lift but a long duration. Hoping the heads will check out ok. Freshen up the trans and will make a converter change. Current one is a 10" Coan street/strip converter. Thinking of a higher stall but need to do a little more research on this. Looking to pick up a tenth or 2 but not much more. Since it's an original Max Wedge car and never had a roll bar or frame connectors in it, it would be a sin to do do this now. Roll bar required if a car runs quicker than 11.50.

Auto Transport Service
Back