• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing problems - can't see dampener mark on timing tab (440 internal bal)

RBCharger

Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
1974 440 internal balance.

Can't see the timing mark on the balancer when setting the timing - I painted the only line on the balancer that is there with white paint and it still doesn't show up when trying to set timing. Wondering if this one has spun? Thinking I'll need to order one if I can't nail this down.

I'm going to try to determine TDC with #1 and then see how far off the mark the balancer is. Balancer looked ok on install - no shredded rubber.

Is this common for them to spin?

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
No not common. You need to verify TDC. What balancer do you have?

Well...looks like it's all good. I hooked timing light inducer up to #3, not #1 by accident.

I have 40 total when revved and 13 at idle. It calls for 10 BTDC initial but I am cam and headers. It starts perfectly and idles nicely.

On to the next thing - trans line leak.

Mopar recommends no more than 38* mechanical timing, you may run into a detonation problem. Just take a couple of degrees out of the distributor and you should be fine.

Mark

Trans leaks all fixed! Had a bad section of rubber line and the brass radiator nipples weren't tight enough. Seems to run great with 40 total. No detonation.

Auto Transport Service
Back