• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing question

It is a dual plane eddy rpm with 2 600cfm carbs it’s at 3 inch of vacuum at idle it’s just hard to start. And I can tell it’s not happy

I tune my initial timing with a vacuum gauge. I shoot for near max vacuum at idle rpm. As you advance you should see good improvement in in/hg then it will slow. I stop and retard a touch at that plateau.

I tune my initial timing with a vacuum gauge. I shoot for near max vacuum at idle rpm. As you advance you should see good improvement in in/hg then it will slow. I stop and retard a touch at that plateau.

thanks I’m going to try that

I just looked at those cam specs. 251 257 @ .050. That's A LOT of cam. I'd start with 20 degrees minimum at idle. Regardless of what you do, it's gonna run rough at low rpms with that much duration and overlap. For a street car, I'd go with a smaller cam, or more cubic inch with that cam.
Dual quads, huge cam, moderate cubic inch. You have yourself a bit of a tuning challenge.

I went to 18-35. It’s a lot better I’m going to try 20-36/37.

Auto Transport Service
Back