• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tint removal: How to?

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
The rear window tint began to peel off and got fried in Reno. The film was removed without shredding. There is a residual of something still on the glass. It streaks up when attempting to clean it. Have tried: soapy water, goo gone, vinegar, clr, wd40. I am thinking about clay bar or just getting the orbital out to burn it off. Suggestions?

I want to use something more aggressive, but the window will scratch as evidenced by the body guy who slid the glass face down on a shelf and it left permanant scratches on the outside.

Extra fine steel wool with a little WD-40, used it on glass many times before without a mark. My Dad told me back in the 70's when he was a prepper at the body shops thats how they took off any overspray on the glass.

Response appreciated. I used brake-clean followed by amonia glass cleaner. If you spray it on and wipe before it dries it works. Got a good buzz too. (kidding

Auto Transport Service
Back