• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To What Level of Restoration insanity

I've stopped taking mine to most car shows because I got sick of non-Mopar people asking me if I'm going to restore it and telling me how much work it needs. The exceptions are the two WI Mopar Muscle Club shows where those guys get it. Almost all Mopar guys say "don't touch it!" I drive it a couple of hundred miles round trip to those shows. It runs and drives great, and I see no reason to spend my retirement money on a restoration. I appreciate the nicely restored cars, but for me, I like having something a little unique.

Image-1.jpg

IMG_0134.JPG

20160821_151159 (3).jpg

I would have to be down to my last cent and about to live in a card board box before I would sell my dads car! Too many memories!
That's why I plan to sell mine before I die. First off, I don't know which of my two kids would want it - but probably my my daughter. Either way, I wouldn't want the other ever saying "don't do this or that to Dad's car". Nor would I want them to hesitate about getting rid of it. So they both know that unless I die suddenly, it'll be gone before I am. Yeah, it was my first car. Yeah, I've had it 50 years. Big deal!

That's why I plan to sell mine before I die. First off, I don't know which of my two kids would want it - but probably my my daughter. Either way, I wouldn't want the other ever saying "don't do this or that to Dad's car". Nor would I want them to hesitate about getting rid of it. So they both know that unless I die suddenly, it'll be gone before I am. Yeah, it was my first car. Yeah, I've had it 50 years. Big deal!
My dad bought my car off its original owner in 1971, i was 8 yrs old and i remember going for a test drive with my dad and the original owner. My dad bought it and we spent alot of time tinkering with it and beating up on alot of other cars. He commuted to work with it as NYPD for a few years then it just sat during the gas crisis. Fast forward about 30 yrs he got Cancer and we always spoke about restoring it when he got better. Well he never got better but i promised him i would bring it back to its former glory after sitting outside for 30 + years. I did and its in my climate controlled garage where it will reside and be used till im gone. My grandsons love it so im hoping they will take guardianship of it once im gone.

IMG_1541.jpeg

Last edited:
Get over it, its a valid question. Sounds like you're letting it ruin your fun !!
Not at all. My point is that the default thinking for many people is that all old cars have to be restored or planning to be restored. Not so.

I've stopped taking mine to most car shows because I got sick of non-Mopar people asking me if I'm going to restore it and telling me how much work it needs. The exceptions are the two WI Mopar Muscle Club shows where those guys get it. Almost all Mopar guys say "don't touch it!" I drive it a couple of hundred miles round trip to those shows. It runs and drives great, and I see no reason to spend my retirement money on a restoration. I appreciate the nicely restored cars, but for me, I like having something a little unique.

View attachment 1458184

View attachment 1458185

View attachment 1458182
In my opinion, beautiful the way it is! An old warrior showing its scars!

Last edited:

View attachment 1458184

View attachment 1458185

View attachment 1458182
Restoring a car using retirement money isn't smart. Only suggestion would be to put some clear rust inhibitor if there is anything like it. It's YOUR car. I thought of restoring my 66 but my head said keep driving it. Have many NOS part for the next guy. A little of each.:(:)

View attachment 1458184

View attachment 1458185

View attachment 1458182
Retirement is when you buy done cars that just need polishing. I would not do anything to that car if you are close to retirement. You will have 50 times more buyers the way it sits, vs sticking $$$$ into a restoration. I know we all say we will never sell, but it has to be a consideration unless you are rich. As far as what others say, who gives a ****, and I bet they do not know the real cost of a nice restoration on that car.

Retirement is when you buy done cars that just need polishing. I would not do anything to that car if you are close to retirement. You will have 50 times more buyers the way it sits, vs sticking $$$$ into a restoration. I know we all say we will never sell, but it has to be a consideration unless you are rich. As far as what others say, who gives a ****, and I bet they do not know the real cost of a nice restoration on that car.
The pool of potential buyers shrinks dramatically as the level of restoration increases. I sold unrestored Baby Blue with zero effort, buyer was already waiting me to pull the trigger. Finding a serious buyer for my restored A33 car was like pulling teeth. One of very few I sold at a loss just get free of the process.

It's already been said but the truth of the matter is your build is a reflection of yourself. It could have been from days gone bye or I always wanted one of those cars. Maybe your dad or mom had one. Maybe you made your first baby in the backseat or over the fourspeed. It doesn't matter it's a love like your husband or wife just can't have enough of it. What's really great about this hobby is that the purist is helping out the race car guy and the restro is helping anyone who needs it. That is the sport of this hobby we al support and wish I would have done that to mine. As of today I have read about big brakes and how to polish a car. I'm watching a roach being built and wondering if kern dog got a shopping cart for the free stuff at the dump. Also watching a racer turn the timing back just a little to curve off a 10th of a second. Just want say this hobby is many things to many different people. But the most important part is the finished product at what ever level the build is its yours. But the true part is that we all share that dream to build that one car that we all have lost sleep over.

Friend of mine is original owner of a 68 Charger R/T, 60K miles, bone stock, every part that wore out he kept. Also has a 70 Challenger he restored and a Cuda Gran Sport in process. His son already said he's got buyers lined up for them when he kicks the bucket.

You may say that but one thing for sure their ability to research every nut and bolt paint mark etc has a skill of its own.

Justin's car was an amazing restoration,I call his thread the bible for B body restorations,but at the end of the day,when a car is done to that level,it's a museum piece,that you cannot drive. I have some cars I have to do full body and paint as well as mechanical restorations to,none to the level of OEM gold,but the rest I just want to make drivers out of and enjoy the hell out of them!

View attachment 1458184

View attachment 1458185

View attachment 1458182

This would go through a lot of rubber if I owned it!

Awesome!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back