• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toasted the clutch, only lasted 5000 miles

Roll the pressure plate over and snap a pic of the fingers. How did you adjust it? Is that a 10 1/2"?
Yes 10.5" clutch. I adjust it to have free play at the clutch fork, not the pedal.

20220908_165540.jpg

^ I think his previous post goes a way in explaining what happened.

It was first installed behind the 505 which he said easily drove through the clutch.

So, was probably already glazed when put behind the 383. (Just my guess anyway)
The 505 was in the car for short time during the break in of the clutch, about 100 miles. When I pulled the 505 out the clutch was glazed over a bit. The 505 at full throttle would slip through the clutch even when rolling down the street. Now that was with a new, not yet broke in clutch.
Is the OP running a hydraulic TO bearing?
Using factory linkage and TO bearing. Hydraulic dual disc clutch may be in my future.

I am leaning toward just putting a new disc in it same as this one and hope that plan does not backfire on me. Setting up a new dual disc hydraulic clutch set up may take some time to get it sorted and just right. Best to do that on the street not the drag strip I would think. Duct Tape Drags in 23 days.

So the idea is replace the disc and use it on a used flywheel/pp so it can be raced at the dragstrip. In front of it an engine that makes 100hp more than the clutch is rated for and already drove through said clutch.

Call me a pessimist but I think that sounds like a waste of time.

Dual disc hydraulic clutch doesn't require any adjustment so if it's installed right there's not much else you can really do with it.

Maybe you could try a sintered iron disc in your existing setup just to get you through the track day but not sure.

I put the clutch back in as it is. It has a little life left in it, and it is already mated/broken in. Like I said there is no time to break in a new clutch before Ductape Drags. Putting in a new clutch now and not fully breaking it in will just glaze it over and be a waste. After the drags I am going with a dual disc clutch. Brand yet to be determined.

Yes 10.5" clutch. I adjust it to have free play at the clutch fork, not the pedal.

View attachment 1339813
With all the clutch dust on there I would say it is well used. T/O bearing to PP finger gap should be 1/8"-3/16". Cycle the pedal a few times and recheck.

McLeod Racing 75209 McLeod Super StreetPro Clutch Kits | Summit Racing

It is this one.

Mcleod clutches take 500 to 700 mile break in before you can load them fully. I am going to the Duct Tape Drags in 3 weeks. No time to break in a new clutch. I am thinking about just throwing a new disk in it as it is. Give it a quick sanding with a big flat board and a new disk. Either the

same dual friction it it now, or full ceramic. Hopefully bypass the breaking in of a completely new clutch. Does that work?
500 - 700 miles seems excessive.
That would be about 5-7 seasons for a drag car.

Auto Transport Service
Back