• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 3 Greatest Guitarist Ever

Roy could play guitar, banjo and fiddle! He was well accomplished in all 3 in many different genres. He was one of my all time favorites! So was Glenn Campbell! His solo in the gentle video shows his skills. He really was a monster guitar player and under rated too!

My list in order.. it’s a tough one! My big influences over the years playing…

1. Eddie Van Halen
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Eric Clapton

Honorable mentions (very honorable)
Chet Atkins
Lenny Breau
Mark Knopfler
Gary Moore
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Duane Allman
Dickie Betts
Jimmy Lyon (early Eddie Money)
David Gilmore
Steve Lukather
Scott Gorham
Brian Robertson

I could go on and on! I. Know I’ve left some off but….. So many great ones!

My picks for the best: Glen Campbell, then Eric Clapton, then Stevie Ray Vaughn. Worst ? Me.

Last edited:
I look at it as who created or pushed a certain style forward. Players who influenced others to follow their style. With that in mind:

Jimmy Page. In my opinion pushed hard rock into the mainstream.

Eddie Van Halen. Pushed the finger tapping and classic rock styles into the main stream.

Eric Clapton. Pushed the British blues rock into the mainstream.

An honorable mention to Jimi Hendrix. Very creative to say the least.

I play guitar, Jimmy Page and Gary Rossington were big influences from a young age.

Last edited:
Saw a video of Glen Campbell, playing his guitar over his head. And I think it was on 60 Minutes, they interviewed his wife, she said by that time he had forgotten people, rarely spoke, but she would hand him his guitar, and he would play and sing his songs like it was 20 years earlier.
Add Jerry Reed to the list.

I play guitar, Jimmy Page and Gary Rossington were big influences from a young age.
Great mention with Gary Rossington! We cannot forget the Skynyrd boys including Rossington, Allen Collins, Ed King, and Steve Gaines. What a great group of guitarist from the same band!!!

Saw a video of Glen Campbell, playing his guitar over his head. And I think it was on 60 Minutes, they interviewed his wife, she said by that time he had forgotten people, rarely spoke, but she would hand him his guitar, and he would play and sing his songs like it was 20 years earlier.
Add Jerry Reed to the list.

Roy could play guitar, banjo and fiddle! He was well accomplished in all 3 in many different genres. He was one of my all time favorites! So was Glenn Campbell! His solo in the gentle video shows his skills. He really was a monster guitar player and under rated too!

My list in order.. it’s a tough one! My big influences over the years playing…

1. Eddie Van Halen
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Eric Clapton

Honorable mentions (very honorable)
Chet Atkins
Lenny Breau
Mark Knopfler
Gary Moore
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Duane Allman
Dickie Betts
Jimmy Lyon (early Eddie Money)
David Gilmore
Steve Lukather
Scott Gorham
Brian Robertson

I could go on and on! I. Know I’ve left some off but….. So many great ones!
I could never pick 3 as you stated so many great ones.

I was lucky enough to meet and talk with EVH on a few occasions - My career of dealing with private jets

If you mentioned he was the greatest guitar player in the world , it was a short conversation

Thanx

if you mentioned he was one of the greatest musicians in the world , he would have sat and talked music / guitars with you for as long as he had time

Sammy Hagar loved it when I brought up cars , very down to earth guy

He loves his Fords and Ferrari s

There are too many lol.

If you've seen Stevie Ray play, he pretty much has to be on the list, right??? I'd you don't believe me, you try playing behind your back lol.
Steve Vai plays a 7 string beautifully.... doesn't that make him 15% better than everyone else??
And Peter Tosh played an AK-47.... doesn't that mean we have to put him on the list. Just kidding all,, I'd hate to have to pick only three!!

While I agree with 90% or more of all listed so far, I still don’t see Kirk Hammett in here anywhere. I vote to add him to one of the all time greats.

While I agree with 90% or more of all listed so far, I still don’t see Kirk Hammett in here anywhere. I vote to add him to one of the all time greats.
I’ll give Kirk credit… I hate Wah pedals. :D

My list would have Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen and the third spot would be open. Too many to even list, but here are some that come to mind in no particular order.
Billy F Gibbons
Steve Morse
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Phil Keaggy
Ulrich Roth
Michael Schenker
Carlos Santana
Tony Iommi (missing the tips of the fingers on his right hand)
Angus Young
Ritchie Blackmore
Eric Clapton
And on and on it goes....

Tony Rice
Angus Young

Any of the above mentioned are also great, but Tony was a virtuoso, and nobody puts the level of stank on a solo like Angus.

Auto Transport Service
Back