• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter Brands- good, not so good

NHCharger

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently having my transmission gone through while I wait for my new engine. I will need to replace the TC since the new engine has a steel crank versus the old cast crank engine. I have narrowed it down to a 2400 stall after way too much reading on this subject.
My three choices that I can get fairly quickly.
B&M hole shot part # 130-10415
TCI Breakaway #141200
Hughes Street Master 24-25

Any feedback on the above, good/bad/ugly would be appreciated.
Thank you.

You will get a million opinions. I have had great luck with PTC. I have 3 PTC's in 3 of my cars now and a B&M in another.

I have a FTI 9.5 SR Series Street-Strip converter behind my 512, it's advertised as a 3800 to 4000 stall but with my 512 it's closer to 4300 or 4400. The car sees limited use on the street but operates just fine and hits hard at the track while foot braking or using the trans-brake.

Precision of New Hampton.

I have had nothing but trouble with Hughes over the years.
I bought one and it took 4 months to get the car running after purchase
and the converter would not even move the car forward.
They said the warrantee period was up and they would not help me.
They charged me nearly as much to fix it as the original cost and it still
was not very good even after they fixed it.
As most people on here know, I seldom have a bad word for any manufacturer
as things can always go wrong even for the best of them. Hughes is absolutely
the worst converter builder I have dealt with ever!! I have seen them at the Track
and all they do is laugh it off.

I've got 2 PTC converters in two cars and have nothing but praise for them. Worth it to get one made to your combo rather than a "quick" purchase of one that may be good with your combo.

Even though tight convertors have been around for some time...there seem to be a mistrust of what they are and do. A properly set up 4000 stall will cruise in town like a 2000 stall if matched to your car. We run a dynamic 9 1/2 it flashes at 4300 cruised fine at 2000. We also have a 9 1/2 FTI 3500. PTC is also top notch.
hughes is probably the best of the three that was mentioned....but spend some money and upgrade. If you are looking for performance you will not regret it.

Last edited:
I am running a Hughes Performance Pro Street 24-30, but it unfortunately stalls at around 3800 rpm behind my 440.
My next choice would be the Street Master 24-25.

Depending on what you are going to do with the car (streeter or racer...both?) going through the steps to get a custom converter from the above mentioned manufacturers would be a good choice if planning on some strip/race time as well.
For street and touring only a "standard" unit with a bit higher stall over stock would make it a nice drivable car.
Being in the US, i would go for a custom one but on this side of the pond it's going to made of gold by the time it reaches my house.
Depending on the camshaft you are going to use it might be good to have a converter that does not apply to much load on the engine at idle, just to maintain a decent idle quality. (what cam and axle ratio you are going with?)
I read people write bad about B&M, TCI and Hughes converters so what to believe now days, there are many of them out there being used.
Apart from the "Monday morning product" it could have been a mismatch or poor installation job as well, will never know.

I would talk to Frank Lupo at Dynamic. ATI has a good reputation too. Not sure about B&M quality these days. Never had faith in TCI. No opinion or experience with Hughes.

I believe I have the Hughes 11” 24-20 behind my stock 440/3.55 which had a low stall 12” converter out of some model when I bought the car. It slips more than I expected in and around the neighborhood driving behind the 440 but give it some throttle and it really transforms. I probably would need to put a deep pan or auxiliary cooler on it if I drove it a lot.

Biltrite - Belleville Il., ask for Cooksee.

Thanks for the replies. I called Dynamic this morning and spoke with Sean. Very helpful, took the time to explain how they build their converters. Their price was actually cheaper than the TCI from Summit. I did order a converter from them. Said I should see it within three weeks. :thumbsup:

I'm currently having my transmission gone through while I wait for my new engine. I will need to replace the TC since the new engine has a steel crank versus the old cast crank engine. I have narrowed it down to a 2400 stall after way too much reading on this subject.
My three choices that I can get fairly quickly.
B&M hole shot part # 130-10415
TCI Breakaway #141200
Hughes Street Master 24-25

Any feedback on the above, good/bad/ugly would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Not on your list but, I used these guys. Everything went well! Told them my set up on the stroker build and they matched up perfectly.. Great experience!

Shop Transmissions, Torque Converters - RevMax Converters

Great: Good move. I have had a good B&M (but decades ago), a good Hughes (but others have not) and a junk TCI. Better to get a pro one rather than a Home Depot brand.

I am running a Hughes Performance Pro Street 24-30, but it unfortunately stalls at around 3800 rpm behind my 440.
My next choice would be the Street Master 24-25.

Depending on what you are going to do with the car (streeter or racer...both?) going through the steps to get a custom converter from the above mentioned manufacturers would be a good choice if planning on some strip/race time as well.
For street and touring only a "standard" unit with a bit higher stall over stock would make it a nice drivable car.
Being in the US, i would go for a custom one but on this side of the pond it's going to made of gold by the time it reaches my house.
Depending on the camshaft you are going to use it might be good to have a converter that does not apply to much load on the engine at idle, just to maintain a decent idle quality. (what cam and axle ratio you are going with?)
I read people write bad about B&M, TCI and Hughes converters so what to believe now days, there are many of them out there being used.
Apart from the "Monday morning product" it could have been a mismatch or poor installation job as well, will never know.
Wietse, what are the specs on your 440? I am trying to choose between the 24-20 and 24-30 for my 440.

Wietse, what are the specs on your 440? I am trying to choose between the 24-20 and 24-30 for my 440.

I did not build the engine so i do not know if it has been bored but it seems it was overhauled and likely has an oversize.
Cam specs are 238/244 @.050" 283/291 advertised, .572/.576" lift, 108* LSA (Hughes Engines HE3844BL), "906" heads (maybe ported), Edelbrock performer RPM intake, Holley Sniper Stealth EFI, 1-7/8" headers with 3" collector.

If you check on below link, a dyno test from Hughes (Test #2) with this camshaft and the Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold shows well over 500 hp and 500 lbs of torque. (their test engine probably has a lot more/better porting done than mine so my numbers will be lower than that.)
https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4440stage1dynotest07142002.php

I think the 24-20 or 24-25 converter will be a better choice if your specs are near mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back