• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter for 75 440 with forged crank

71RR4406

Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
I bought this 71 bird from CA last year.
It ended up getting damaged on the ride, and had to put it up on stands to fix a bunch of stuff.
I finally got to the pointnof startup and tuning.

I never got to drive more that 300 yards when i got, and it was so out of tune and couldn't tell what issues.

Now that i got everything together, i have a vibration, slight to none at idle, but as i rev, vibrations in park or nuetral.
When driving with slight acceleration you feel the vibration. Coost no vibrate.

I looked at the converter, and seems to have two small weights on each side of the draine plug.

Could this be the issue?

The motor runs strong.

The previous owner must have remove the gears, i can tell the swapped the pumpkin, and also missing the converter cover.

Probably took out the good stuff.

I think it the converter but looking for advise.

You may be able to look at your damper and figure out what balancing is needed on the convertor. Harmonic Dampers 440 Source.com

If the damper shows its externally balanced then the convertors should have weights. Internally balanced then no weights.

It has the internal balanced 3614371.
So looks like forged.
So assuming knock off the weights and see if that helps before i yank the trans?

If it is the correct damper for the engine then I would agree the weights need to come off.

If it is the original convertor out of a 70-72 440 hp w hd rods it would have also had weights welded to it. Those engines had a steel crank but were externally balanced. The balance weights look similar to a cast crank engine. Their were 3 differently balanced convertors over the years. Below are the two common ones...left is your damper pn as well.

Screenshot_20230707_045049_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you.
Away this week, but will get under next week and confirm.
I think i have damper on left and converter on right.

It was the weights!
Grinded them off, and 95% better.
I think the converter needs to be replaced, but at least i know its not the engine causing the issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back