• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter help

Rallye440

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, need help in ordering a new torque converter.
‘72 rallye 440 charger, 727 Purple cam, 3.23 gears (that I may swap to 3.55 with sure grip in future) and 275/60s in the rear. What do you guys recommend for a stall? It’s mostly a cruiser but I do like some get up and go action on the streets. I don’t drag it. Any and all help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

28A65350-C4CE-413E-86C7-91D2C31E0302.jpeg

Give all the specs of the cam and gears, tire size and all you can think of to the manufacturer, and they will recommend a stall rpm for you. It's not that hard to get a convertor that will fit your application.

Any quality 11" stall converter will likely give you the "feel" you are looking for. Knowing which cam you have would be helpful as well as any other modifications to the engine. Something likely in the 2600 range would suit most purple cams well smaller than the 284/484 cam.

I would probably replace the 12 inch convertor with a stock
11 inch out of a 727 Small Block car and call it good. They are
often 25 to 50 dollar deal. It makes a nice improvement on a budget.

Auto Transport Service
Back