• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque spec - 5/8" HEIM bolts for my 4 link?

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Plan on doing a grease job and general maintenance soon and I figured I'd go thorough the rear suspension to make sure it's all tight as well. It's a 4 link with 5/8" HEIM joints, pan hard bar with all grade 8 hardware. What's a good torque spec for this setup? I figure the 5/8" grade 8 hardware has a torque spec of like 240 ft-lbs, but can the joints handle that? (Heck, I don't know if MY joints can handle that.)

Gracias.

Plenty of torque charts on the net....but a 5/8" course thread plated fastener is around 155 lbs. and I assume that would be for it being dry since the chart I found didn't specify. Oiled is usually less.

do you have Nylock or some other self-locking type nuts on the other end ??, you probably should, if so just run the bolts down to hand tight maybe 50#'s, they don't need to be overly tight, not knowing your set up that's just an opinion, but I wouldn't over-torque/tighten down on the 4 link brackets or the Heim/Spherical Joints either...

do you have Nylock or some other self-locking type nuts on the other end ??, you probably should, if so just run the bolts down to hand tight maybe 50#'s, they don't need to be overly tight, not knowing your set up that's just an opinion, but I wouldn't over-torque/tighten down on the 4 link brackets or the Heim/Spherical Joints either...

Good point on the nylock nuts - I'll pick some up.

- - - Updated - - -

I think hand tight would be good. 240 ft-lbs would fsu

Thinking the same thing - crank em down to 240 ft-lbs and I just created the first hard tail belvedere.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll crank em down to whatever feels right - 50ish ft-lbs, use nylock nuts, grease the joints and be done. Thanks fellas.

I'd be worried more about the joints themselves. A worn or broken heim is bad news. The nuts are only to lock the adjustment of bar length. They serve no strength value in this application.
Doug

I'd be worried more about the joints themselves. A worn or broken heim is bad news. The nuts are only to lock the adjustment of bar length. They serve no strength value in this application.
Doug

Good point, dvw.

Ladders are a bit different in as the rear attachment points need to be tight because they don't move but the fronts do pivot. Wasn't thinking about a 4 link needing to pivot at all the points. Anyways, yeah, no need to go full torque on them. Also, I used a dab of Loc-tite on my ladders for a bit more insurance on the nylocs once I got them adjusted where I wanted them.

Auto Transport Service
Back