• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque value for 440 RB Aluminum Valve Covers

4404ME

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
Good Day All! I recently purchased a pair of Mopar Performance Aluminum Valve Covers for my 1972 440 Road Runner. The current covers are steel. What are the proper torque values for the Aluminum covers.. certainly don't want to crack them. Thanks!

By the book:6ft lbs/40 inch pounds. I just change out my valve covers using Fel-pro gaskets.. I just Snug them down + a 1/4 turn...

Thanks for your timely response, Pops! I will be using Fel-Pro gaskets, as well. When you say, by the book (I know it can just be a phrase), can you please tell me which book? I would like to purchase it, if it's available. Thanks Again!

Not to hijack this thread, but I read a response from an old post that was hilarious. Use an impact wrench, you know you achieved proper torque when the compressor turns on :)

You know you've got them snug when the gasket is 2 thou thick.

Thanks for your timely response, Pops! I will be using Fel-Pro gaskets, as well. When you say, by the book (I know it can just be a phrase), can you please tell me which book? I would like to purchase it, if it's available. Thanks Again!

you might find this helpful...............

Good luck getting those aluminum valve cover to ever seal correctly. They are so thin that you can't apply enough torque to squish the gasket down without bending the aluminum.

I had always loved those valve covers until I owned a set. The two happiest days were the day I got them and the day I sold them. Good luck with your experience.

Tom

By the book:6ft lbs/40 inch pounds. I just change out my valve covers using Fel-pro gaskets.. I just Snug them down + a 1/4 turn...
Sorry Pops, 40 inch pounds is 3.3 foot pounds which is correct for stock stamped steel valve covers per the book.
You are however correct that 6 foot pounds is good for cast aluminum covers. If I take my Mickies to 7 they leak. Back them to 5, they leak. 6 foot pounds seems to be the sweet spot in my experience.
I'm running Cometic steel core composite gaskets. Nice units.

Just remember to check the flatness of the surfaces where the gasket seals on the heads with a straightedge.
Some have been cast with surfaces that are so uneven that they'll never seal correctly. While I had my engine
apart, I set the heads up on a mill and machined the surfaces. When you start with flat, you get a good seal.
If yours is uneven, you might as well use cork gaskets and kill it with Great Stuff on both sides!

I agree! I don’t have leaks with the covers on the engine now (or, almost undetectable), but I will check the flatness. I just like the look of the Mopar Performance Ribbed Aluminum Covers, and hope I’m happy with them! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Auto Transport Service
Back