• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torsion bar question

adam83

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
I will be buying new torsion bars, as mine are for a small block and are damaged anyways. The guy from firm feel recommended 1.06 diameter bars. The car will be getting a big block, and will be driven hard on the street. I wanted to get some more opinions on this, as torsion bars are new to me. This is a link to their page: http://www.firmfeel.com/torsionb_b.htm

I've had two 318 cars upgraded to 440s, and never replaced the torsion bars on either of them. I didn't feel any difference in handling after the install, so I'm not real sure of the return on investment for upgraded bars just because of an engine change to a big block. Looking at your link, I don't see bars listed as small block and big block, so do the bars even need to be different?

Remember, the torsion bar is a spring... bigger bar, harder spring... you don't HAVE to go to a bigger bar... if you want to, PST has released re-indexed bars

Did big block cars come with different bars than small blocks, or did both use the same bars?

Did big block cars come with different bars than small blocks, or did both use the same bars?

Here's what was listed for 1970, from the Plymouth manual.

torsion.jpg

I would certainly go to a bigger bar. IDK about there spring rates for there diameter bars, bu MoPar IIRC does list the spring rates.

Considering it is a B body, I would at a min. use the same diameter bar as stock. I myself would use one at a step thicker for driving on the road use, 1 thinner for a hot street/stop light bandit car.

If you talked to Dick then he is right on the money. His knowledge on how to make a Mopar handle like a sports car using the factory k frame and rear suspension is well worth the money. I plan on using his Products on my Charger and Cordoba.

i went with the biggest ones .. said they were for hemi, when we did my 440 swap. rides drives and handles awesome . no regrets here

Contact James from PST. He is a member here and is very active on the forum giving good advice.......and not just to fill his wallet, either. He said in a very recent post that they have just come out with a torsion bar that's been reindexed, as some people were having trouble acheiving the correct ride height for their cars. That's what you call listening to your customers. Not too many business left like that.

I got the 1.06 FF bars in the Belv. along w/ front and rear sway bars, KYB shocks. The car rides nice, although stiffer than stock, but handles and corners great. I got PST 1" bars on the Satellite Convert. Rides firm, although I haven't added sway bars yet the car handles better w/ the larger bars, had small block bars in it when I got it. The PST bars are the old ones, but I didn't have a problem getting the ride height established although the adjusters are sticking out the bottom of the LCXA.

I will be buying new torsion bars, as mine are for a small block and are damaged anyways. The guy from firm feel recommended 1.06 diameter bars. The car will be getting a big block, and will be driven hard on the street. I wanted to get some more opinions on this, as torsion bars are new to me. This is a link to their page: http://www.firmfeel.com/torsionb_b.htm

all good advice here. I see you're a new member with few posts. We're happy to have ya! Do us a favor though - this topic has been covered extensively in multiple posts. Do some searching on the site and you'll find lots more info to read.

You also didn't mention what car you have. A certain diam. bar in a heavier car will behave differently than a lighter car and you need to figure in the bar length as part of the spring equation too.

My personal experience is my '68 Satellite B body had .088" bars with a 318 when I got it. A 360 motor went in and then I changed the bars to .092", which is the biggest stock size offered for big blocks back in the day and is now agreed for handling to be a little soft (but great for 1/4 mile racing weight transfer!). Not much difference that I noticed at all. If i were to keep this small block for the street i would go with at least .096" bars and maybe 1.00". However, I'm building a big block 451 so the car will get either 1.00" bars or the next size up 1.03". Every .03-.04" increases stiffness by something like 14%. So a 1.00" bar is not the same as a 1.03" bar. Bear in mind that ride quality on the street is subjective - some like it plush or soft while others like it a little firm and still others like it almost race track jar your teeth firm. I think I've read some here are running the largest bars that Hotchkiss offers, which I think is one or two sizes up from the 1.03" and for the street they are pretty rough. Remember, most of these aftermarket suspension goodies were designed for track racing and we're trying to adapt it for the street. Sometimes it works, but there are times when too big is too much.

Yes, I talked to Dick from Firm Feel. I have a 71 charger.

- - - Updated - - -

I would certainly go to a bigger bar. IDK about there spring rates for there diameter bars, bu MoPar IIRC does list the spring rates.

Considering it is a B body, I would at a min. use the same diameter bar as stock. I myself would use one at a step thicker for driving on the road use, 1 thinner for a hot street/stop light bandit car.

Can you clarify a the difference between a driving car and a bandit car? From what you described, I will be doing both.. flying round corners, lead foot, hard braking, green light launches etc etc but will also be driving on the highway and just around town too. I will be placing my order through FF, because not only do they have an excellent reputation, they have taken a lot of time to talk with me about their products and my setup. I am also ordering the lower control arm boxing plates.

one more here, overseas customer, using 1.06 FF bars... plenty happy! sure won't need a T bar in next 30 or 40 years again ( like the stock one I had )

Auto Transport Service
Back